4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
I like the plan
Its not dissimilar to a passengerized take on Mr. Rice's Trerice (which is a compliment seeing as that is the best china clay atmosphere I have ever seen) its got that clay-line feel going on.
Y points* where quite well used on clay branches, so the more of them the better.

*or whatever they are more correctly know as ;)

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Thanks all for the encouragement with this.

Speaking of Mr Rice... I am intending this to be a full Rice cameo with fascia, side wings and curved corners to the backscene.

1262994968_ScreenHunter_539Dec_1123_28.jpg.e64f9ec3c7d805cad912cefacdffec6a.jpg

So, best material to use for the curvy backscene? Looking for something that can go down to a radius of about 4" / 100mm.

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
I have some of that 1/8th or so plastic sheet that pubs (and other places I assume) use for large advertising boards* (not the corrugated inside stuff, though I have that too!) and that would appear to be malleable down to a pretty small radius - its light, and free too!

It is certain a whole lot lighter, cheaper an more workable than the flexi 2mm MDF one sees in Wickes, or wherever.

I would also straighten out what is shown as the Goods Shed road; I think it would look better like that for some reason.

*again it no doubt has a proper name.....

adrian

Flying Squad
So, best material to use for the curvy backscene? Looking for something that can go down to a radius of about 4" / 100mm.
I think you have 2 options and to some extent it depends what you want to use for your backscene, photo print or artistic painting.

It's not difficult to form thin plywood to a curved profile. So with a sheet of thin plywood give a real good soaking in water for 24hrs, it becomes quite soft and supple - bend it round a former something like a 6" diameter tube because it won't reduce exactly so if you use a 6" diameter former you might end up with a 4" radius ply. Leave it to dry out around the former and it will make a curved sheet. I tried this on my 2mmFS project but then I opted for option 2

Option 2 was getting a photo printed on a roller blind and using that as the backscene as used and demonstrated by Gordon Gravett on several of his layouts.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Option 2 was getting a photo printed on a roller blind and using that as the backscene as used and demonstrated by Gordon Gravett on several of his layouts.

Gordon - artist that he is - painted his (I have an article describing the process in French published in a Belgian modelling magazine picked up in (Flemish-speaking) Brugge). This is the approach I’m going to use for Podimore when I get that far - and have sourced a suitable supplier.

Adam

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

By moving the GS line to the front, would make vehicular access/egress to the yard very difficult and dangerous bearing in mind the slope of the road coming off of the bridge. In the first plan could have the yard access from the station forecourt area just to the right of the hedge or even anywhere straight off of the front edge below the GS. Just a thought.

regards

Mike

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

By moving the GS line to the front, would make vehicular access/egress to the yard very difficult and dangerous bearing in mind the slope of the road coming off of the bridge. In the first plan could have the yard access from the station forecourt area just to the right of the hedge or even anywhere straight off of the front edge below the GS. Just a thought.

regards

Mike

Hi Mike, there's no bridge, just a low key level crossing as at Nanstallon on the Bodmin line. The LC is the reason for the low level signal cabin.

The GS will be a small provider store (Exmouth Jct's finest) with road vehicle access on the side not rear. I'm thinking of having the GS line at a slightly lower level than the main.

Station forecourt is a bit grander than what I had in mind! It will be a concrete platform with a small waiting shelter accessed by foot by a path.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

regards

Mike

The road is on the flat Mike. The line is crossed via a level crossing.

I think this works. My only reservation is that in its original position, the goods shed/provender store provided additional masking to the inevitable hole in the sky behind the cottage, when viewed from certain angles.

Rob.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Chris,

if you put the two 184mm pieces to the gap in the upper right corner, you can shift the 550mm pieces to the left so that you get a clean cut at 1500mm.

Michael

It's 2 separate leftover sections of ply not a single sheet, so I only need nice cuts on each part. I have however moved things slightly on the top plan to give a bit more wiggle room.

IMG_20201212_113541.jpg
5mm blade allowances made.

Must make a start rather than keep refining the plan!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
A question for the assembled throng...

iMarkup_20201212_115419.jpg

Turnouts and cosmetic rodding...
1&2 are obviously a pair and will be operated from the box.
4&5 would be operated separately from the box.
I'm assuming 6 would be a lever on the ground.
What about 3?

FPLs for 2, 3 and 4?

Cosmetic catch point on the approach to 3 from the GS? Doesn't look like I have room for something near 5.

Location and period?: Ex LSWR area down near Bodmin in the late 50s and early 60s.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
3 is a signal box job. It's part of the running line loop. I would 6 is also operated frm the box with shunting taking place under the watchful eye of the signalman. Catch point required between 5 and 6.

EDIT: Apologies. I looked at it as a terminus before spotting the station was a halt.

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Thanks Larry. Given the space constraints I think I may have to turn a blind eye to the catch between 5&6. The one near 3 will be a lot more visible.

Good job I opted for the signal box rather than a small ground frame. Looks like there will be a few levers to accommodate!