4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

Clay dries bag store and canopy build pt2

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Capping added to the canopy roof and with that I'm calling the bagging store and canopy done and ready for paint.

IMG_20211022_181535.jpg

IMG_20211022_181543_1.jpg

IMG_20211022_181607.jpg

There's a deep gutter between the bagging store and the canopy and I fancy it would get silted up quite quickly. On the basis that it's out of sight I think that some weeds and a self setter sapling would be appropriate.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
This morning started with some quality time spent outside with some rattle cans. The bagging store and canopy have both been primed and some texture added to the corrugated sheet. Whilst out there I also primed and textured another batch of Exmouth Jct concrete products, but more on that later.

Attention has now turned to the clay dries and finishing off the left hand side. Progress photo:

IMG_20211023_115040_1.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
It was all going too well.

I was just making up the door and window assembly and made a standard 2'6" X 6'6" door. Offered it up to the hole and... Erm... The hole was nowhere near tall enough. Bottom.

So the options were:
  1. Throw the building at the floor
  2. Pretend it was intended to be a 5'6" door
  3. Make the hole bigger (not easy)
  4. Go drastic
And the votes went in favour of...

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

we have all been there done that in our modelling careers so......................

why not just have it as an access 'hatch' put a couple of rows of stone along the bottom, I assume that there is a lintel in place already and just have a 2'6" square hatch - job done.

cheers

Mike

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
And in other news... I've brought the bagging store and canopy back in the house after being primed and a bit of texture applied to the corrugated sheet:

IMG_20211023_142235.jpg
No pasty available, sorry.

IMG_20211023_142243_1.jpg

The texture I was referring to is just several mists, applied from a rattle can at a distance, of different colours. It's the opposite of the nice smooth finish you want on stock.

The above photo you'll also see that I changed my mind (yet again) and over-clad the brickwork on the upper floor with corrugated sheet. I'm thinking that the brick wasn't keeping the wet out of the dry clay powder, so they added an extra layer of waterproofing. Honest.

So, once again, the buildings are evolving as I make them!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Nobody has mentioned it so far Chris, probably because we are all far too polite, but isn't it time you weathered down your wagon capstan?!!!

Thoroughly enjoying this thread by the way!

Pete.

Took me a few seconds to work out the reference Pete! That's my hi-tec 'stop stock ending up on the floor because I've not built the fiddle yards yet' device.

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.