4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

KMRC clay dries roofing goes on

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Made a start on the roofing but have run out of the corrugated sheet material. Well not run out exactly, but one sheet was for 7mm and the other 4mm sheet seemed to be much flatter and stood out as looking different.

IMG_20211026_230331.jpg

At the top of the first row I've stuck on a narrow strip of 10thou. The bottom of the second row sits on this which will hopefully make it look like the sheets are overlapping.

IMG_20211026_230347.jpg

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Oh and the pencil lines on all the corrugated sheets? Two purposes:
  1. Makes sure all the sheets are fixed the same face up as there is definitely a 'best' side on the Slater's sheets
  2. The line is offset which makes orientation also easier to follow and sheets should therefore line up vertically

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Professing well.

Thanks Alan,

The postie delivered some more sheets of corrugated material today, so I was able to profess further after work this evening.

IMG_20211028_210354.jpg

The viewing side has now been roofed and I'm part way through the rear side too. Will be about 400 separate sheets applied by the time I'm done.

IMG_20211028_210402_1.jpg
The nice thing about building the roof up from beams, strips of plasticard and now separate corrugated sheets is that you get a more uneven and undulating roof. IMO these imperfections from perfectly flat and straight add character to a building.

IMG_20211028_213745_1.jpg
The now usual shot back on the layout also shows that the roof construction can just be made out through the gap in the top. Most folk won't see it but it gives me extra satisfaction. Sad I know.

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
That's all the roof roofed now, including capping along the ridge.

IMG_20211029_194600_1.jpg

And a bit that involved a lot of swearing was fitting little squares of plasticard to represent the ends of the rafters. Plus some filling around the roof and rafters interface.

IMG_20211029_194548_1.jpg

IMG_20211029_194541.jpg

Again hardly noticeable but it keeps me entertained. Should be able to get a coat of primer on tomorrow. :D

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Lookin most marvelous indeed.

For some reason, the model has always reminded me of the Drier on Prideaux Road, at St Blazey. The corrugated roof makes them even more appropriate.

This is what they looked like backalong, so some extreme weathering may be needed for a more up to date scene ;)

File:Wheal Rashleigh Dry - geograph.org.uk - 564484.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Hi Jason,

I'm really pleased that you think the dries bear a passing resemblance to something real - makes it all worthwhile. Having had a look at the photo in your link I'm inclined to go with a slightly reduced level of weathering. :p

Alan

Western Thunderer
Morning Chris, I notice you are still wondering about the sky for Polsarrot. Idid mine for Blackney on the material for the Pop up boards that traders use for displays and the sprayed with grey and white primer with a touch of Plasticoat Frost Blue (be aware it can have some chalky like lumps in it if not thouroughly shaken. It gave me a sky which looked as if it was about to rain or it had rained and was beginning to clear up. I then painted the background land and trees on it when it was mounted on the layout.

installed 2.jpg

The blue is now near as obvious in real life.

whole layout 1.jpg

KMRC clay dries primed

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
SFA train related done today. The morning started by taking the car to the garage to get a problem looked at. Thankfully quickly fixed but as ever still cost a fair few beer tokens.

Then the weekly food shop, then 4 hours helping SWMBO out with horse related stuff including reinstalling some guttering. Not surprised that the guttering brackets came adrift, there were no screws in the top of the brackets. Anyway, sorted now, so she's less likely to come home looking like a drowned rat. :))

Whilst doing all my community service I noted that she had a brake light out. Simple job to replace? Nope. First remove interior trim, then rummage around and unclip the wiring harness. Then undo 3 nuts which are impossible to get a spanner to, which releases the entire light cluster. Finally you're then able to replace the bulb before repeating the previous steps in reverse.

Sorted.

Determined to get something done today, I masked up the clay dries building (windows and the stacks of clay) and headed outside. As the last of the afternoon sun started to wane, the Halfords grey primer was applied. Obviously, couldn't go smoothly and the can ran out. Thankfully I found another in the stash.

So long story short, I've sprayed the dries grey...

IMG_20211030_170052_1.jpg

IMG_20211030_170323_1.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Morning Chris, I notice you are still wondering about the sky for Polsarrot. Idid mine for Blackney on the material for the Pop up boards that traders use for displays and the sprayed with grey and white primer with a touch of Plasticoat Frost Blue (be aware it can have some chalky like lumps in it if not thouroughly shaken. It gave me a sky which looked as if it was about to rain or it had rained and was beginning to clear up. I then painted the background land and trees on it when it was mounted on the layout.

View attachment 151295

The blue is now near as obvious in real life.

View attachment 151296

Hi Alan,

Beautiful layout and I do enjoy your updates and photos. Looks like you were sensible and sorted out the backscene early when access was easy. Going to be a pain fitting mine.

I've decided to go for using that material you mention that's used for pop up stands. I've had a very kind offer from a friend to do some photoshoppery and he's knocked up the draft you see in the photos. I now have a second draft, which moved some elements around, and then we should be good to get it printed.

The final sky will be less blue and more moody which I think suits the area well.