4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Currently pondering a very important part of the layout...

Its name.

Apparently "By Tre, Pol and Pen shall ye know Cornishmen".

just Pol to do, but another Tre or Pen would be fine.

Two questions:
1. Does it matter that a name is already in use (could cause confusion on the circuit)?
2. Any suggestions for a name?

Ahem.

Drawing on my own experience of naming layouts.....

Polparrot Bridge

Penensheep.

Trefleece

Rob.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Or go for a literary connection. Name it Polmenebeli and have a murmuration of starlings on the backscene!

Menabilly House (Cornish Men Ebeli) was Daphne Du Maurier's residence.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Well I'm off out to the garage shortly to complete the woodwork on the layout.

Thoughts now turning to track laying...

Has anyone used foamboard as an underlay instead of the traditional cork? Two reasons:
1. I have some sheets kicking around
2. It's light, easily cut and flat

It will provide the vertical lift to form the ballast shoulder on the running lines and provide something to dig hollows and dips into within the siding areas.

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
I have thought about using it but decided not to, no particular reason just haven't .

That said I have wondered if it would be best to seal it i.e. paint prior to ballasting to prevent any moisture getting into the card layers and then suffer the consequences ? ( I have assumed you mean the foam type with card either side ).

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I have thought about using it but decided not to, no particular reason just haven't .

That said I have wondered if it would be best to seal it i.e. paint prior to ballasting to prevent any moisture getting into the card layers and then suffer the consequences ? ( I have assumed you mean the foam type with card either side ).

Yes, that's the stuff.

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
Thought so, I have used it quite happily for buildings and given it a spray over to seal it first before doing anything further, so I suggest it would be the case if used for "underlay" .

p.s. have you raided the local supermarket sign bins !

Western Thunderer
What about soaking it in dilute PVA or peeling off most of the paper layer, then sealing with PVA, or even keying the cardboard surface with sandpaper then soaking with PVA? I found soaking card in dilute PVA keeps it pretty stable.

Tony