(Post Brexit) Mailing and Shipping

simond

Western Thunderer
Paris CdG1, many years ago. I worked for Rockwell in those days, with an office in Sully-sur-Loire, and one in Stirchley, from which I could see the viaduct. Rockwell made all sorts of stuff, B1 bombers, SpacecShuttles, Printing Presses, but my little bit was the bit that makes your car windows go up & down.

I had a prototype one in my travel bag, it might have been for an MGF.

I was as surprised as the security guard when he showed it to me on the x-Ray machine. It really did look like a carbine…

I think he relaxed a bit when I laughed.

AJC

Western Thunderer
@Focalplane’s anecdote (which solicited a smile - thank you), reminds me of a customs and excise roadshow - at a small agricultural show in Norfolk - with a display of ‘finds’ recovered from an ungrateful populace. Alongside the cricket bats from India that had been filled with cannabis resin, and bits of various unfortunate animals, there was a 12 pack of beer cans. “Can’t be excess Duty Free, can it?” I asked. “No”, came the reply “quite a lot of white powder - the moral there is that no one imports Boddingtons via Manchester Airport…”

Adam

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
When I sold oil exploration deals I traveled with a large black map tube (actually a case for fishing poles, etc.) which looked like it could hold a bazooka. It caused lots of problems at airline security and I finally learned to carry an extra tube of duct tape with me to seal it after inspections. The most likely area where it caused problems was Africa. I didn't realize that in South Africa passengers were (? still are) invited to check in their guns on domestic flights. It could have held a powerful rifle or shot gun!

John Bradshaw

Western Thunderer
Living in Singapore I order quite a lot (most of my model railway stuff) from the UK and I have never had any issues. Mail service between UK and Singapore is very quick and many dealers have on-line services that automatically deduct VAT and provide the international postage so it is no more complicated than when I was in England and not even that much slower, weirdly.
What does amuse me is the number of sites that give me a pop up box to tell me they've noticed I am outside the EU, would I like to shop in Euros and see postage to the EU, often with a Singapore flag in the box to show me they care enough to notice where I am browsing from. However, in fairness, others do it even better and ask me if I want prices in SGD and postage to Singapore which is actually very helpful.