Scale 7 North meeting - 22nd October

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Following one from a number of members not being able to attend meetings in the south of England. My question is this is there a demand for a northern meeting? And if there is a demand. What would be a good location for any meeting so the maximum number of members could attend?
Marc

adrian

Flying Squad
Hi, I'm sure there'd be a few interested.

Just before lockdown there was a proposal for a Lancs/Yorks meeting at Keighley and I think there were a few interested members but with lockdown nothing really got going. However I'd be keen to support something in the Northwest area.

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
After reading the post, that prompted the above post by @Marc Dobson, I did some Googling - the population of Essex is c1.9million, Suffolk c0.8million and Norfolk c0.9 million - total 3.6 million.

Population of Wales 3.2 million! That of the three counties immediately around me - i.e. Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire & Carmarthenshire - 0.38 million! Unfortunately, once you start applying to these numbers the statistics of the fraction of the population who are railway modellers, who then work in 7mm scale and finally in S7 and the answer quickly becomes vanishingly small. Wonderful as it would be to have a west Wales area group, I fear its a non-starter - a glance at the membership list will confirm how small is the number of potential membership. Once you take the diversity of modellers' interests into account and I guess the best we could achieve is a social group that met up two or three times a year. It has always been thus and I have long accepted that will probably always be the case so I am unlikely to become a member of an area group.

But writing as someone attended the inaugural S7 Group meeting (member No. 12) at Ken Cottle's house for the S7 Society/Group to continue to grow we need more members (why do you think I convinced Bob Essery to go S7 in the first place?) and I suggest one of the best ways for this to happen is to hold meetings in areas that are easily accessed by car or public transport. That way the converted can invite/encourage the wavering and/or unconverted into the benefits of 33mm gauge.

So to conclude, I suggest that it would be of advantage to the group as a whole if, wherever possible, groups' chosen exhibition venues are readily accessible to encourage modellers from further afield to attend. So if a Lanc/Yorks group is set up great - I for one would support a Spring Meeting North.

Crimson Rambler

parky

Western Thunderer
I am a member at Keighley but only build in finescale. Was there anyone at the club that was approached to host a meeting or is just a geographical thought ?
Happy to talk to someone as not many say they read forums

Last edited:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Following on from Crimson Rambler's statistical analysis, I feel I should point out that at least six visitors to Albury came from south of the Thames. Best Beloved and I tripped over from Kent, and four visitors headed up from various parts of Hampshire. In the autumn, I hope we can make the trip down to the West Country meeting, too.

What I’m trying to say I suppose is some people are very happy to travel a fair distance to meetings. As they saying has it "if you build it, they will come".

Last edited:

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Pedant mode on

Actually Albury is in Hertfordshire, albeit 1 mile from the Essex border. About 10 miles from the Cambridgeshire border and not much more than 30 minutes drive from the North London suburbs, so the catchment is quite large.

Pedant mode off

We had 55 in total during the day, Tim tells me, which is about a sixth of the total S7 Group membership.

It would be desirable to have some sort of test track and at the Love Lane meeting today, we will look at whether we can use the two semi circular ends of Love Lane to create a roundy roundy. And whether it will fit into the Albury village hall.

John

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
Speaking as Deputy Chair of the S7 Group thank you very much for these suggestions and comments. Please keep them coming. We touched upon meetings in other areas at a very recent meeting, I will ensure that it is on the Agenda for the next one.
We also had visitors from Somerset and Lancashire to name another two areas. It was also very good to meet some Fine Scale modellers who came as a result of reading our note about the meeting on the Guild forum.

thanks everyone
Tim

adrian

Flying Squad
I am a member at Keighley but only build in finescale. Was there anyone at the club that was approached to host a meeting or is just a geographical thought ?
Happy to talk to someone as not many say they read forums
It was actually a member of Keighley MRC who kicked off the proposal of a Lancs/Yorks group in the first place and hence the Keighley group was initially mooted for the meeting place.

I was going to try and go down to the Preston group this weekend just gone as they had an open day, but I'm totally full of a cold at the moment and didn't think it wise to go and share it around.

adrian

Flying Squad
It would be desirable to have some sort of test track and at the Love Lane meeting today, we will look at whether we can use the two semi circular ends of Love Lane to create a roundy roundy. And whether it will fit into the Albury village hall.
I think it's a little catch 22 - the lack of any running facilities limits the interest for some, so numbers are limited but with limited numbers it's difficult to pool together resources and provide running facilities.

I think I've asked this before but what are the inner and outer radii of the Love Lane circular sections? Are they a fixed radius or is there a transition curve into the circular sections? Just trying to get an idea of the sizes required.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I would be happy to bring my trade stand to give some trade support.
So we need to find a suitable small hall in a location that will allow the most people based in "the north" can get to. And then a date that doesn't clash with anything else.
Anyone have any suggestions for a location?

Off the top of my head for a location Carnforth Lancaster or, Skipton,

Marc

pcalkel

I will travel from Birmingham, but you need to check dates of other S7, O scale 7mm and national shows like Warley so you don't clash.
Paul
S7 Stores

adrian

Flying Squad
I would be happy to bring my trade stand to give some trade support.
So we need to find a suitable small hall in a location that will allow the most people based in "the north" can get to. And then a date that doesn't clash with anything else.
Anyone have any suggestions for a location?

Off the top of my head for a location Carnforth Lancaster or, Skipton,

Marc

There are a few parish halls/cricket clubs and community halls local to myself, I don't mind asking around to see if anything is suitable. It'll be north side of Preston and would just be a minute or two from the M55 Junction 1.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Would some where around preston be ok with everyone?

Is public transport availablity sometime we need to consider?

Marc

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
After reading the post, that prompted the above post by @Marc Dobson, I did some Googling - the population of Essex is c1.9million, Suffolk c0.8million and Norfolk c0.9 million - total 3.6 million.

Population of Wales 3.2 million! That of the three counties immediately around me - i.e. Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire & Carmarthenshire - 0.38 million! Unfortunately, once you start applying to these numbers the statistics of the fraction of the population who are railway modellers, who then work in 7mm scale and finally in S7 and the answer quickly becomes vanishingly small. Wonderful as it would be to have a west Wales area group, I fear its a non-starter - a glance at the membership list will confirm how small is the number of potential membership. Once you take the diversity of modellers' interests into account and I guess the best we could achieve is a social group that met up two or three times a year. It has always been thus and I have long accepted that will probably always be the case so I am unlikely to become a member of an area group.

Crimson Rambler
To give an idea of numbers of Group members in area's other than the East and South, in Wales 12, Scot's 11, York's & N.E. 16, East Mid's 16 and W. Mid's 27, so an annual Northerly S7 Meeting might attract quite a few perhaps ?

Col.

Last edited:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I think it's a little catch 22 - the lack of any running facilities limits the interest for some, so numbers are limited but with limited numbers it's difficult to pool together resources and provide running facilities.

I think I've asked this before but what are the inner and outer radii of the Love Lane circular sections? Are they a fixed radius or is there a transition curve into the circular sections? Just trying to get an idea of the sizes required.
Adrian,
I think approx. 8'-6" min. radius. Our Masterpiece Brit has no problems on the curves.
Col.

Caggers

Western Thunderer
Erm, as I'm from the north of the north, the more northern the better, in England anyway. I'm close to Newcastle Upon Tyne, and have access to a facility and have a layout that S7 can be run on, mostly... But I fear this is too far north for most up 'ere, lads and lasses.