Scale 7 North meeting - 22nd October

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Hi Col,

Thanks for that.

Erm, as I'm from the north of the north, the more northern the better, in England anyway. I'm close to Newcastle Upon Tyne, and have access to a facility and have a layout that S7 can be run on, mostly... But I fear this is too far north for most up 'ere, lads and lasses.
If it takes off it might be that we move the location around the "North" so each section gets a turn to organise the meeting. For me in the lakes Newcastle is 2 1/2 hours away and Preston is 1 1/2 hours away so not much difference. If we were looking for a single place to locate the meeting then Carlisle might work as that means people from Scotland, North East and the North West would have an equal travel time. And before anyone says "You live closer that would be easier for you!" it would still take me 1 1/2 to get to. If Carlisle is deemed to be a good location I do know of a pretty good location, Ivygill Church hall. 5 minutes from the motorway. It is being used by the Carlisle O Gauge Group for their 21st anniversary Exhibition in June (25th-26th).

Marc

ICH60

Western Thunderer
I appreciate that some people are put off due to distance for Northern meeting.
I live near Banbury and I have travelled to the Mark show in Somerset, which is a over a 2 hour drive. Sadly I couldn't make Albury as work got in the way, that's 2 hours away, but if I was free I would have gone.
I would be happy to drive "North. It just good to meet up and meet other Scaleseven modellers and see their models.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I will say that apart from the annual meets there is the AGM which is always a good time to catch up although I understand it can be a long journey for some but if you haven't been before try and make it.

Col.

adrian

Flying Squad

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I had a chat with Tim, this afternoon, he said that this was something that the committee has voiced in the past so we have their blessing to go ahead as long as it doesn't clash with anything else. looking at the show calendar for 2022 and the time it would take to organise a hall etc I think a date towards the end of October would give everyone enough notice. So my suggestion is either the 22nd or 23rd of October. Is this OK?

So location is down to who is likely to come. If its just North West members and some members from other areas then somewhere near Preston would be OK but if members from Scotland and the north east want to come then a location closer to Carlisle would be better. Personally I have no opinion either way as both locations are 1.5hours away from home.

Opinions please?

Marc

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
There is a knot of members in the West of Scotland and certainly some of us would try to attend. I would favour Carlisle which has good rail links to most of the North and Scotland and for most of us the chance to do the trip in a day.

Ian.

adrian

Flying Squad
I'd probably show my face at Carlisle - just under 90mins for me and I could collect a couple of Sideline kits at the same time! and maybe close enough for the Tyneside cohort as well.

Michael Osborne

Western Thunderer
I will be happy to be at any North West meeting if I can. I tend to go cycling in the winter months overseas but of course that has been not possible in the last couple of years. I would support a North West meeting anywhere North of Watford. It it good to see so many wanting to have a Northern meeting. What we really need is more members but with the age of the modelling fraternity, I don't see this happening.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I wouldn't use the younger word but I would say skillless or willing to spend time. The number of people of all ages who come to me asking if I can build one of my kits for them is growing year on year.
I had one person yesterday as if I sold my new couplings ready assembled. As they didn't want to assemble them themselves. All they had to do was cut up an etch, solder a few bits of wire and fold up some tags. Not rocket science.
Marc

Tom Mallard

Western Thunderer
There may well be a number of younger model railway enthusiasts, but it is unfair to say that they are all of the instant gratification generation. We should really blame society...

In any case, why wouldnt they want to take advantage of the excellent ready to run products available? In the end if they want a model railway to run them on, they will still have to do some modelling and pick up some skills along the way. I would say that the learning curve to undertake this is somewhat less arduous than building a locomotive.

There will be a proportion that have the same mindset as those who build models, either for pleasure or necessity given their prototype choice, and compared with yours and maybe my generation perhaps fewer, but they will exist. Perhaps it is a reflection of how their elders and peers now prefer to model?

The hobby is very much generational in all areas. It also is highly dependent on nostalgic childhood memories and that is where modelling steam prototypes maybe tails off and the acceptance of ready to run picks up in terms of prototype era. It is quite unusual to find these mysterious younger types being interested in pregrouping subjects as they've nothing to correlate them with - it would have to a be a regional or aesthetic link that might make them interested.

Anyway, just a rambling opinion from someone who is neither in one generational camp or the other. I don't think we can expect things to stay the same or return to 'halcyon days' whenever they were. So the hobby has adapted and ready to run suppliers improved so vastly that a majority would not see the need to build anything, nor believe that they could reach an equivalent standard.

Well I almost deleted all of the above as I'm not often a commentator here!

In reference to the heading, a northern S7 group would be very welcome.

Tom

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
I guess we all started with Triang or Hornby or some other RTP / RTR models /toys, and we all developed from there to wherever we are now.

What I do expect is that the "nostalgia for steam" generation will not be replaced - I suspect that there will be some, of course, but that the mainstream of modelling will move towards "modern image". HST anyone? :)

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Coming back to the original point and organising a "North" meeting. I have found two potential locations just outside Carlisle. One in a hamlet of Ivegill about 8 miles south and one in Dalston about 4 west of Carlisle.

Ivegill is a nice location, I have been there many times and has a good amount of parking and is used to hold Model shows. There is no public transport from Carlisle Its 11 minuets south of M6 J42 and 12 minuets north from M6 J41.

Dalston has about half the parking but does have a bit of public transport within a mile or so. about 1 train an hour From Carlisle. The hall is also used as a wedding venue and is considerably more expensive. It is 12 minuets west of M6 J42 if your coming from the south or 18 minuets from M6 J44 if you are coming from the east or Scotland

Both have pretty easy access to the M6 motorway, Public transport in rural areas is non-existent.

So my question is this How many people will be using public transport to get to the meeting? And if this not a consideration. then I would recommend Ivegill as the location.

Marc

adrian

Flying Squad
I really do appreciate your effort on this Marc to get something moving.

For myself - I don't have a layout to bring but I have enough display stands and material for a couple of tables having done a Scale7 demo stand at the Wigan shows for a few years. So I'd be driving up as I don't fancy lugging all that up to Carlisle on the train as much as I'd like to.

I would also extend it to offer a lift to anyone from the Preston and Fylde area that would like to attend.

Caggers

Western Thunderer
I will join a Carlisle meet up and have a 3' demo track of S7 and O that I could bring if that is of interest, can be DC or DCC. I'll be driving I'll bring some rolling stock as well. Might even have finished some more by then...

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
If there is no objections to Ivegill? Then I will book that for the 22nd of October. And if it goes well it might become a regular event.

Marc

Caggers

Western Thunderer
Hi Col,

Thanks for that.

If it takes off it might be that we move the location around the "North" so each section gets a turn to organise the meeting. For me in the lakes Newcastle is 2 1/2 hours away and Preston is 1 1/2 hours away so not much difference. If we were looking for a single place to locate the meeting then Carlisle might work as that means people from Scotland, North East and the North West would have an equal travel time. And before anyone says "You live closer that would be easier for you!" it would still take me 1 1/2 to get to. If Carlisle is deemed to be a good location I do know of a pretty good location, Ivygill Church hall. 5 minutes from the motorway. It is being used by the Carlisle O Gauge Group for their 21st anniversary Exhibition in June (25th-26th).

Marc
Hi Marc,

Obviously the challenges with those at the extremities of the region are the time to travel (plus cost of fuel, but lets not go there), even when we started the North Eastern region there was myself from Newcastle and Mick from York area we were meeting in Shildon, which was difficult sometimes.
My offer of the BTMRS club house was based on a number of benefits, (I don't need to travel much, jk) we have good transport links with bus and metro from the area and train station, we have plenty of parking very close, kitchen facilities and pubs close by. Then there is the model railway side I have an S7 layout in the process of being built, that can run locos, permanently setup and all kinds of other scales and gauges. We have access and with little notice we can use the facilities. It might sound like I am trying to sell the idea, which of course I am, but just letting you all know we can use this as we move the Northern group around the region. There are some pictures else where and I need to take some more up to date video/pictures of my layout to share at some point.

With regards to travel I hope to make the trip to the next Mark meet, even with a twelve hour return trip... :)

adrian

Flying Squad
My offer of the BTMRS club house was based on a number of benefits, (I don't need to travel much, jk) we have good transport links with bus and metro from the area and train station, we have plenty of parking very close, kitchen facilities and pubs close by.
From a purely personal point of view the downside would be the 2 1/2hrs to 3hrs drive to get there. However on the plus side it's right around the corner from this project which I'd dearly love to see. :thumbs: