Scale 7 North meeting - 22nd October

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the offer of the club rooms. they have a lot going for them. The benefit of the Carlisle location is between 1.5 to 2 hours from 90% of the "Northern" membership, unless you live closer then it's a bonus. It's got good connections to the motorway and public transport, to a point.

I have been given a tip, this afternoon, about another hall closer to the city centre which has good public transport links, plenty of free parking and it is walkable from the Carlisle railway station 20 mins walk. I have enquired about availability and cost but I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
That's great. Paul, Hopefully it will be more than just me and you other wise its going to be a very boaring day for you. It a 160 round trip for me and I live in the same admin zone, for the moment.

Marc

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
22nd fine for me too and only 260 miles round trip. I was thinking of going to the Mark meeting this year but that is 900!

Ian.

Last edited:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Accommodation comes in all forms and sizes, but for anyone looking for something around Carlisle or perhaps thinking of a mini-break with a partner who is not too bothered about attending the meet, I'm sure you would enjoy staying here - we certainly did a few years back en route to the far north (since changed hands but wouldn't hesitate to stay again):

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
As a non car driver based in Nottingham I always look to see how (if) I can get to these meetings. Getting to Mark is only really possible for me thanks to the generosity of a lift offered by friends. If I am to go alone to events then I'll only attend if public transport is easily accessible. Distance doesn't put me off as long as I can get out and back in a day. A northern meeting gets my thumbs up as long as I can use buses and/or trains easily.
Cheers
Tony

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I did qualify my statement with "Northern Members". This is more to do with geography than population density. Anyway, Geographically the centre of the UK is Haltwhistle in Northumberland which is not that far from Carlisle. It would be a nice place to hold a meeting but apart from east west transport links is pretty hard to get to.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Just a quick update on progress with the meeting. We are good to go for the 22nd of October. I haven't finalised the exact location as I'm waiting for some information about a potential venue that is within walking distance of Carlisle railway station.
The committee have organised for the Somerset groups test track to make the long trip north and Paul is hoping to bring the Stores stand as well. As for trade support I will be bring my, Pre-grouping Rlys, stand. others are welcome.

Marc

Last edited:

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Just a quick update on progress with the meeting. We are good to go for the 22nd of September. I haven't finalised the exact location as I'm waiting for some information about a potential venue that is within walking distance of Carlisle railway station.
The committee have organised for the Somerset groups test track to make the long trip north and Paul is hoping to bring the Stores stand as well. As for trade support I will be bring my, Pre-grouping Rlys, stand. others are welcome.

Marc

Mark,

A bit of confusion creeping in as to the proposed date! Is it the 22nd of October or 22nd September. The October date has more mentions on this thread.

Good to get the test track as not all of us have access to a continuous run.

Ian.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Sorry idiot typing it is October not September. You are quite correct Ian. Still suffering from Brain fog and getting shows mixed up!

Your not the only one, with a limited run, at the moment I have a yard of track.

Marc

Last edited:

Michael Osborne

Western Thunderer
I am pleased that a Northern meeting can go ahead at Carlisle in October. But I have a slight concern the the test track that has been promised from the Somerset group is going to attend. The cost of a van and diesel for around trip of approximately 600 miles would be eye watering at today's prices. And with inflation at 9% ar present who can predict what it will be in October ? Plus I would imagine that who ever is driving up will need a couple of nights accommodation as well.
I for one would dearly love it to be there and to run some trains but before I booked any hotels in Carlisle I think I would like a bit more reassurance that this test track will be there as promised. Call me skeptical but I always quote when asked to believe anything the words of the worlds most powerful man ( at the time ) Bill Clinton, I did not have sex with that woman !

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
Michael,

The proposal to bring the test track to Carlisle was made and agreed by the S7 Committee at last week's meeting. The view was that a meeting in the north of England is very important to the Group as so much activity is in the south. We thought that the test track would be a good attraction and enable members to run their models. As a result we have calculated the costs plus allowing some extra for potential increases and given the relatively healthy financial position of the Group felt it to be a justifiable expense in order to support our members.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again, this time on your home ground. :)i

all the best
Tim

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
I did qualify my statement with "Northern Members". This is more to do with geography than population density. Anyway, Geographically the centre of the UK is Haltwhistle in Northumberland which is not that far from Carlisle. It would be a nice place to hold a meeting but apart from east west transport links is pretty hard to get to.

Marc
Marc,

Unfortunately not,

United Kingdom[edit]​

• A position "in the middle of Morecambe Bay", approximately 1.5 miles (2.4 km) off the coast at Morecambe (#2), Lancashire, at Ordnance Survey grid reference
    17px-WMA_button2b.png
    SD4157566760.[5]

Great Britain[edit]​

Ian

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I can now confirm that I have booked the Victory Hall in Dalston for the 22nd of October. Scale7 North is now a reality. For those hoping to drive they is a car par and for those who want to come by public transport Dalston has a hourly rail service from Carlisle, takes about 10 mins, and the hall is within walking distance from the hall, about 10 mins.
We will have tea, coffee cakes and biscuits but I'm not sure about lunches yet.

Marc

adrian

Flying Squad
I can now confirm that I have booked the Victory Hall in Dalston for the 22nd of October. Scale7 North is now a reality. For those hoping to drive they is a car par and for those who want to come by public transport Dalston has a hourly rail service from Carlisle, takes about 10 mins, and the hall is within walking distance from the hall, about 10 mins.
We will have tea, coffee cakes and biscuits but I'm not sure about lunches yet.

Marc
Brilliant - thanks very much for being active and getting something organised.

Obviously I'd like to make this a success so I'll support this in anyway I can. I can bring a few bits and pieces up to display and run. Have you had any thoughts or plans on any stands/demos etc. Is there any specific topic you think visitors would like to see or are we just aiming for a general social and chat over a cup of tea?

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
At this point in time I'm open to offers for people demonstrating tip and techniques. We have the test track and Paul is bringing the stores stand. If I get my bum into gear I might have the boards and track down on my latest micro and I'm thinking of bringing the stand.
But other than that nothing is set in concrete.

I should have said the station is a 10 mins walk from the hall.

Marc

Last edited: