Praising good traders

PeterM

Another for YouChoos. Get a personal email acknowledging order straight away and don't ever remember having to wait for an order to be despatched. Well done.

Deano747

Western Thunderer
David Andrews - 8 pages of assembly instructions missing from Schools Class 4-4-0. Emailed and within half an hour reply with jpeg missing pages. Thanks David.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I second David Andrews. I have never met him but we have talked on the phone and chatted by email. Ironic that we didn't live that far apart at the time. Had long chats about his book on the GWR Moguls and why he never produced a kit. I still have two unopened kit boxes, a Patriot and a second Compound. His Castle kit continues to stagnate. Must finish it one of these days! I am very tempted by his latest LMS 4F.

Which brings me to Jim McGeown of Connoisseur Models. What a guy! He and I have met at several shows and I only wish he made more kits that fit my sphere, just the Jinty and the 4F, my first and second 7mm scale kits. You see the Jinty every time I post on WT. His instructions and other PDFs are the best in the business (well, Finney7 instructions are good too!)

For coach kits what's not to like about Malcom Binns and Side Lines. Malcolm always responds by return and ships almost as quickly.

It's people like these who make 7mm scale modelling so compelling. Thank you!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
There's quite a few traders I've come across over the last few years that deserve a thumbs up. In no particular order:

DJ Parkins. Excellent service on post and packaging. Even rang me up to check one aspect of my order that I'd made a mistake on. Meant I didn't end up with something I didn't want.

The Finney7 boys. Always a very enjoyable and informative chat when seeing them at 7mm events. Have managed to part me from my cash on a number of occasions. Kit instructions are absolutely superb.

Tower Models. Good prices and always contactable when you need to check an order (you know, one of those long standing orders that Dapol haven't issued yet).

Jim at Connoisseur Models. As mentioned my others, an excellent chap - very knowledgeable and helpful. Kits are enjoyable to build with great instructions.

Modelu. Probably the best 3d printed figures and detailing parts available. Always good service, prompt delivery and sorted out an issue with no quibbles.

Phil at Hobby Holidays. Worth going to a show just to stock up on items from his comprehensive materials stand. Again a great bloke to chat to and happy to offer advice. Really glad that he's not selling up after all.

H&A models. Another trader on my show tock list. I've never done mail-order with them but for plastic kits, transfers and miscellaneous bits they have been great. Will spend time searching for stuff on your shopping list.

Alan

Western Thunderer
Can I also add a shout for David Parkins, ordered a Classic Commercial van on Monday it arrived 9.ooam this morning. Also Parlimentary Trains, again only a two day turn round from order to delivery. Perhaps its the welsh PO.

Boxbrownie

Western Thunderer
Somewhere in another thread (of which I cannot find) I mentioned I had ordered from Plaza, Japan a couple of model cars as a distraction from purely trains, I have dealt with Plaza years ago with loads of Kato stuff and I am pleased to say they were as efficient now as then, and their postage from Japan is a lot cheaper than I have found than from suppliers in Europe! (I think the euro shops are “overcharging to compensate for the extra work they have to do now to ship).
But anyway back to Plaza….brilliant place (been there in person years ago) and so many interesting models/trains.

And this little sticker on the package made me smile and is just perfect for Japanese politeness.
B4DEF86C-C496-49B8-9949-05286ED8E49A.jpeg

Longbow

Western Thunderer
I'm all for giving praise when due, so long as it does not raise service expectations unduly. Most retailers in our hobby are small, part-time traders without a sophisticated online presence; they may be unable to answer emails and calls speedily, if at all; and dealing with them frequently requires patience and persistence.

Bob

Western Thunderer
Howes of Oxford always come up trumps for me. I've sent a few orders for Railmatch Paints over the last few months and they always arrive within 48 hours.
I know they've already been mentioned but I can't leave out Eileen's Emporium or the excellent service from Modelu. Considering I work in that strange scale of 3mm and it's printed to order, they're always commendably quick.

Last edited: