Pre-machines tyres

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
If its not going to stand on anyone's toes. I'm going to enquire if slaters can supply me the tyres from some of their diesel wheels so I can print various wheel centre to fit them. As all my current S7 projects require 4ft or smaller wheels none of the current range are any use to me. I have a resin that should be strong enough to allow be to print the centre, with the square hole, and not require the bush. If it works, and there is no reason it shouldn't, then It opens up a whole more locos that could be built by the beginner who has limited space. Yes I could just turn my own tyres but if someone is already doing them why reinvent the wheel.

Marc

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I suggest that you take a Slater's loco wheel and section the tyre so that you can see what Slaters does to produce a wheel where the centre is keyed into the tyre - such wheels are produced by placing a tyre in a die and then injecting the polymer. If you start with a Slater's tyre then you may have difficulty in getting a 3D print to fit into that tyre.

regards, Graham

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
if I print the centre a few microns small then it should fit in with a enough room for some epoxy.

Ultrascale don't do, at the moment S7 they do do FS but it might be a market for them. I will send them a email as well. They do a lot of P4 stuff.

Marc

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Marc, if you are a member of the S7 Group then you might benefit from reading the recent report to the group on the production of wheels, that report includes a summary of the production of tyres.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
How will you guarantee getting a totally concentric wheel ? is 3D printing accurate enough to produce a centre to put into a tyre ?
Col.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Marc, if you are a member of the S7 Group then you might benefit from reading the recent report to the group on the production of wheels, that report includes a summary of the production of tyres.
The report is in the Members Downloads section - available when you have logged in. John Borkowski and David Nicholson spent a considerable amount of time and effort investigating the very route that you are about to trip down. I endorse Grahams exhortation to read this report first. Colin's question above raises a fundamental issue with DIY wheels. They have to be concentric and consistent. If all of these 'few microns'clearance (i.e.hub and centre) are not absolutely concentric to tyre and axle, you'll just get a galloping set of wheels.
Dave

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
They have to be concentric and consistent. If all of these 'few microns'clearance (i.e.hub and centre) are not absolutely concentric to tyre and axle, you'll just get a galloping set of wheels.
Dave
If a centre of any material is used then a more accurate way would be to have a blank tyre, fit the centre, and then turn the tyre to profile.
Commercially manufactured, plastic centred wheels, aren't always perfectly concentric. Some can be worse than others out of the same pack.

Col.

Last edited:

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Just read the report. I'm not sure where Ultrascale are with wheels in S7 as they produce G1 (!/32) wheels which are by their very definition larger that S7.

Coming from a Manufacturing engineering background anyone with a CNC lathe should be able to turn these out like shelling peas with the correct profile tool, drill/boring bar and paring tool. it not rocket science its only a faff if like me you only have a manual lathe.

Marc

Mike W

Western Thunderer
If I've read Ultrascale's website correctly (quite possibly not!) , a pair of 4mm wagon wheels on an axle is £6.75 and the same thing in 10mm scale is £10. Makes the larger scale seem very cheap.

AndyB

Western Thunderer
If I've read Ultrascale's website correctly (quite possibly not!) , a pair of 4mm wagon wheels on an axle is £6.75 and the same thing in 10mm scale is £10. Makes the larger scale seem very cheap.
The 4mm ones have Nickel silver tyres, G1 are steel. Will have some influence....

Rob R

Western Thunderer
I would imagine the labour cost of manufacturing, assembling and packing would be very much the same regardless of scale.
The materials will form a much lesser part of the eqaution.
Of course, for the hobbyist doing it at home the maths is completely different.
42 inch 8 open spoke v2 print 01.jpg

Rob R

Western Thunderer
I have forgotten about peartree..

Rob,
What your doing in S is exactly what I intend to do in S7.

Marc
The difference is my labour is free. I can afford to be fussy about the quality and still put food on the table.
If it wobbles, the 3d centre is only a few pennies so that can get binned and the tyres and axles reused.
All with a very light press fit/heavy slide fit with a drop of loctite - tyres and axles.

That said, I am thinking about a batch of 200 axles...... (4ft 8 1/2" and 5ft 3").:eek:
Rob

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Quick update I now have a UK supplier of S7 tyres. In a range of sizes between 3ft and 4ft. I should have a sample by the end of next week. I can then draw up a wheel center and take it from there. From a cost point of view it will be some where in the region of £25-30 for two wheels and an axle, if my sums are correct.
Marc