Problem uploading Files

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks Adrian!

Following on from Simon's comment above, the problem seems to occur randomly. It's of greater significance if there's a posting with lots of photos. Usually, when there is only one, it either comes up straight away or after poking with the "Refresh" stick.

Brian

Max M

Western Thunderer
I normally enter the Forum through a link to a saved thread and then click 'Recent posts'.
For the last two days I have had the 'Forbidden' message.
However, I can access new content by clicking 'Forums' and then 'Recent posts'.

I use Windows 10 Home v.2004 (64 bit) and Firefox 8.0.2

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
I have the same problem, come up with some pictures and others not seen on my android phone. I thought it was on Dave Holt's thread but I see it on other threads.

Len

michael080

Western Thunderer
I am pretty sure that all these strange things are not related to client side equipment, I think this is simply an overload situation on the web-server side. I saw that a couple of times at other forums (fora:confused:?) and the way forward was to get a more powerful engine. Typically, all these messages come mainly at prime time between 5 and 9 PM, but never in the morning.

If the masters of this wonderful site decide to scale up the engine, I can volunteer to support admin jobs on the operating system level.

btw., another site I visit regularily asks for very small donations to pay the provider. Typically, they have enough donations to secure the operation for the next 36 months.

I know, this is all extra work.

cheers,
Michael

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I appreciate all you say, Michael, but why should the system break down (well, it hasn't really - just become more cumbersome) with what appears to be a simple security update? (Says he who has no knowledge of anything slightly computer-ish.)

I'll let others answer your kind offer the implications of which I don't pretend to understand but your willingness to be involved will, I'm sure, be appreciated whether or not the offer is followed up.

In the meantime I'm holding back my photos but only so they are available to the wider audience who seem to enjoy them. More of the Tim Mills stuff is in the side lines.:)

Brian

Max M

Western Thunderer
Typically, all these messages come mainly at prime time between 5 and 9 PM, but never in the morning.

Not correct, I had the 'Forbidden message around 09:00 (Sunday) and again at 08:50 (Monday).
This is if I click 'New posts' via a saved thread URL
If I then click 'Forums' the Forum menu comes up and I can then click 'New posts' and all is well.

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Another report of the same issues that everyone else seems to be having. It seems to be less of a problem on the phone (iPhone, Safari), but obviously this means that the pictures I'm trying to see are tiny... Again, posts with multiple pictures seem most badly affected.

Adam

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I've recently been encountering the errors and error messages mentioned by earlier correspondents. I use Windows 10 Pro 2019 (64 bit) and Firefox 82.0.2 (64 bit).

As Adrian has alluded to the recent security update has had unintentional consequences.

From my own experience in a working environment a server update can be tested, re-tested and tested yet again on a mirror test site without errors but as soon as it is updated into the live environment it doesn't always behave as expected.

In the meantime I use 'drag and drop' for uploading photos: However, when viewing and right clicking the image reference to reload - this is a bit hit and miss.

simond

Western Thunderer
further info.

I posted on George's "Pickup wire" thread, including 4 images, from my office compyuter (win10). I did ctrlC, ctrlV to add the images which were clipped from Solidworks. I then looked on my iphone and one of the images was missing, return to office computer, image is definitely attached to the thread.

https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/pick-up-wire.9182/#post-216498

possible conclusion, images are not always being correctly accessed or displayed?

hoping this helps
Simon

Further edit

the missing image is no longer missing - it is visible on the iphone too...

Further conclusion

I'm confused

michael080

Western Thunderer
It seems to be less of a problem on the phone (iPhone, Safari), but obviously this means that the pictures I'm trying to see are tiny

pictures are downscaled on the client side. The server always delivers the same data.

Michael

Reactions: AJC

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Adrian - I'm sure you must be fretting about this. We're finding our own ways through it but it's not the end of the world. Nobody's going to die. I, personally just want you to know that we recognise there are other priorities in life. We know this one will get sorted.

Brian