4mm Progress Of My D63xx Loco's

D

D7093

With progress on my D63xx's getting a little nearer completion, I thought it would be appropriate to post a picture. Weathering, glazing and a few details still to be completed.

As a bit of fun and out of interest, can any NBL fans work out which ones they are from L to R:). First two should be rather easy, whilst the last one is a little more difficult, their are tell tale signs to help.

DP22(D63xx)-012a.jpg

28ten

Guv'nor
One for Mr Harrod...... I would have to go through some book to work them out although there are quite a few differences on the r/h loco

Alfa male

from L to R: D6327, (BSYP with no vents above cab windows), D6331, (GFYE with no vents above the cabwindows). The right hand one is one of those built with headcodes, (the clue is the connecting doors don't have a double fold), so it's D6334 or later. With those inclined top grab handles I'm going to guess it's 6352. Do I win a fiver?

D

D7093

from L to R: D6327, (BSYP with no vents above cab windows), D6331, (GFYE with no vents above the cabwindows). The right hand one is one of those built with headcodes, (the clue is the connecting doors don't have a double fold), so it's D6334 or later. With those inclined top grab handles I'm going to guess it's 6352. Do I win a fiver?

Oh so very close!

First two are obviously spot on, their liveries and no eyebrow vents making it a simple deduction. Whilst your guess of 6352 for the third one is oh so very close.

As an added clue all three locos were sub shedded at 85B Gloucester for a period of time;)

Trevor.

D

D7093

As I wasn't happy with the cab interiors on the Dapol D63xx, I thought I'd see what could be done to improve them. It wasn't that I was looking for more detail, but I wanted to get rid of the bulges for the lighting, in the front and rear bulkheads.

So with a few bits of plasticard.

DP22(D63xx)-028b.jpg

DP22(D63xx)-029b.jpg

Alfa male

Oh so very close!

First two are obviously spot on, their liveries and no eyebrow vents making it a simple deduction. Whilst your guess of 6352 for the third one is oh so very close.

As an added clue all three locos were sub shedded at 85B Gloucester for a period of time;)

Trevor.
Once I looked a little deeper I realised D6314, which was also BSYP, didn't have eyebrow vents either. So actually my choice of D6327 for the left hand loco was a 50/50 chance. Is there a way to tell the two apart from head-on? As for the right hand one, I'm not well up on whicch ones were shedded where, so if you could give me another clue, like the last two digits of the number, I might do better!

D

D7093

Looking under close scrutiny of the camera lens, all three locos have small discrepancies that probably don't represent their chosen prototype. But the right hand loco is my representation of 54, the plate under the left hand headcode box giving it away.

All I need to do now is get them weathered.

DP22(D63xx)-022b.jpg

D

D7093

The Dapol cab interiors are a bit 'out', aren't they..? :confused: Slightly surprised at that, given the quality & accuracy of the rest of the model. I mean, they aren't even close.... :eek:

Yes I can't understand why they done them like they did. I had thought it had something to do with the lighting, but even after the changes the lights would still fit in:confused:

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Hi Trev
Excellent modelling of the old Gloucester Favourates (you will have to do D6320 for the set !), have you lowered the headcode boxes slightly on D6354? as that is what it looks like in the 1st image. also I know you do your 4mm loco`s in EM have you pulled the wheels out on their axial`s? Dont forget to remove the silver coloured beading to the cab door windows on D6331. I like the fact that you have corrected the appaling attempt by Dapol of the cab detail, dont forget the arch between the driver and secondmans desk this was above the front end connecting door. above this was located an NBL builders plate.
Cheers
Mr TV

D

D7093

Hi Trev
Excellent modelling of the old Gloucester Favourates (you will have to do D6320 for the set !), have you lowered the headcode boxes slightly on D6354? as that is what it looks like in the 1st image. also I know you do your 4mm loco`s in EM have you pulled the wheels out on their axial`s? Dont forget to remove the silver coloured beading to the cab door windows on D6331. I like the fact that you have corrected the appaling attempt by Dapol of the cab detail, dont forget the arch between the driver and secondmans desk this was above the front end connecting door. above this was located an NBL builders plate.
Cheers
Mr TV
Thanks Steve,

D6354 has had the boxes lowered, the loco was going to be D6327 and I planned to go the whole hog with detailing it, but I realized I was wasting my time trying to improve and get it right and the front end ended up a bit of a mess, so was thrown to one side. After time the decision was taken to start on the front end again, but instead of fixing my errors, that I'd redo the front end and change it to D6354, so something good came from it and D6327 was done with another taking the easier route.

The wheels are the Dapol wheels of which somebody removed 15 thou from the back of wheels for me and then accordingly spaced out.

Cab detail has been kept to a minimum, I know you would go the whole way, but I wanted something that represented a NBL cab and not Dapol's effort. I've fitted the important details though, like ashtrays and lunch:))

If I was to do another it would be D6320, followed by 6308, but I think three is even to many for my needs.

Cheers
Trevor.

28ten

Guv'nor
I did actually started drawing up the console to fit one of Freds, but with the book due I decided to stop work in case there were some new 'revelations' :)) so the whole project has ground to a halt. but I could probably shoot it down to 4mm and cut it in Rowmark if you wanted any bits
d63.JPG

28ten

Guv'nor
Finally found the picture I had of a D63xx cab control desk....

Class22desk.jpg

Sorry it's so small, that's the size of the original, but hope it helps...
That seems to be the only known picture. there are a few glimpses of the secondmans side in a couple of shots. im stalling until the Adrian Curtis book, just in case.... you know what it is like you can guarantee something turns up just as you finish the model :headbang: Not quite sure what Dapol were doing :confused: I suppose there is not much space in a 4mm cab to play around with.

westernfan

Western Thunderer
Yes i did mention about the cab detail a while back but was bebuffed as it was not that noticable in 4mm . trouble is once the error is pointed out no matter what scale it sticks out like a sore thumb thats the trouble with having a brain or half in my case :oops:

O

Oliver Bulleid

Hi,

How do you access the headcode boxes and what do you use for numbers?

Thank you

Tim