Proxxon KS230 - fix or replace?

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer

My Proxxon KS230 Circular Saw has died.

KS230.JPG

The motor screeched to a halt and is now not responding. Checked usual things, wiring fuse etc.

Can anyone recommend a Proxxon repairer?
And is it worth repairing? New ones are about £120

Alternatively, does anyone have experience of the Minileaf ML-MS1, which appears to be a Chinese copy @ about £58:
minileaf.jpg
Website here

Or an alternative?

Any info gratefully received.

simond

Western Thunderer
I suspect it will be difficult to find a repairer. I presume it’s not jammed & the spindle turns? Did the magic smoke get out?

SimonT

Western Thunderer
From my experience go for the big Proxon and forget Chinese copies. I've had it about ten years and I've built two layouts with it and am about to start another big one.
Simon

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
Thanks for swift replies!

simond: It's not jammed and there was no smoke (or smell), just a screech. Spindle turns & belt looks intact.
SimonT - Which model do you have?

Max M

Western Thunderer
You can contact Proxxon here.

I have found a couple of sites (Spain and US) that list the motor as a spare but by the time you have paid postage, VAT etc. I suspect it will be near the cost of a replacement! :rant:

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Tim,
The Proxon FET. I have cut the range of 19mm ply and down to 1.6mm ply to make sleepers. It handles large sheets of 6mm ply for baseboards with ease. It does help to have a Wally to hold one end of the sheet; my saw is screwed to a sturdy stand. I bought my saw from Axminster and get my consumeables/spares from them.
Proxxon FET Table Saw & 80mm Saw Blade - PACKAGE DEAL.

Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
I remain intrigued as to what happened to cause the screech and lack of function.

Blown internal fuse? Meter across the motor? Pulley slipping on shaft?

Osgood

Western Thunderer
In terms of 1 and 3 phase motors, some 20 years ago our local electric motor rewind company said anything under 1.5hp was uneconomic to rebuild.
I image that is now likely to be anything under 3hp.

I remain intrigued as to what happened to cause the screech and lack of function.
...?

Something snapped ?

Last edited:

GrahamMc

Western Thunderer
Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Trying to google the part number from Graham’s link I found this

yaya-online - General

three times the price, but they have brushes. If the brushes are changeable on your motor, that might be worth a look.

Brush failure would perhaps explain the noise, and certainly would explain the failure to function.

Atb
Simon

GrahamMc

Western Thunderer
Thanks Graham - I'll take a look!
Just remembered. Sometimes these cheap chinese motors come with no earthing. That's OK if it's got a double insulated plastic case but no good if it's got a metal case.
A sewing machine motor from a reputable supplier could do the job.

-missy-

Hi.
I had similar problems with my Proxxon Saw. The motor simply stopped working whilst chopping up some stuff. I contacted Axminster who are apparently the UK distributor for spares and got a quote from them for £80 to replace the motor.
Thinking it was not far off the cost of the saw I decided to go it alone. The original motor is a 240v around 100w motor. I found a 240v 500w motor and a suitable speed controller then 'shoehorned' it into the body of the saw.
20200917_160019.jpg
20200919_091931.jpg
When I took the original motor apart it seems there are some resistors and a suppression capacitor which looked like they were pretty cooked.
Now the saw seems to cut through just about anything!
Missy.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Screeching noises could be a bearing or bush, the reliability of these little saw benches with tiny motors can be compromised by expecting them to take to much punishment if worked too hard.

Col.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Glad someone as done a heads up on these small WB saws. I risk life & limb every time I use the full size one for cutting up coach interiors. Is there a saw blade for cutting extruded aluminum roofs?

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
Thanks all for your replies.

I bit the bullet & decided to investigate inside the motor.
The whole assembly comes apart quite simply actually.

Motor (Medium).jpg

I can't see any burnt-out components.
The commutator is a bit mucky.
Both visible resistors check out OK, but putting a meter across the visible green capacitor gives an open-circuit.
Could that be the problem?
Presumably easy to source a replacement.....(I miss Maplins!)

Tim

PS - Larry - blades are available which will cut aluminium. For instance, see here.