QCAD Drawing for Test Etch

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Hi folks,

For those experienced in having artwork etched, have I made any glaring errors in the drawing below ?

1649336259234.png

1649336291117.png

Ian

Attachments

• Headcode Box Final.pdf
    93.8 KB · Views: 4

SARSn3.5

G'day Ian,

The arrangement that I have circled in this snip from your attached .pdf will not yield a fully closed box which I am assuming is your intention.

1649677149251.png

I have also assumed that the etched lines are fold lines and will be folded towards the etch lines. If that is correct, the folds will produce an edge-to-edge alignment, rather than a butt joint.

In similar circumstances, I have used the drafting arrangement in this snip from one of my own etch tools.

1649677218289.png

This was done in Autocad, and our drafting conventions are a bit different. The red image is of the etch tool for the front side of the etch, and the blue image is for the reverse side of the etch. Hatched areas common to the mirrored drawings are through-etched, equivalent to the white lines on your mirrored artwork. I have circled the notch that will allow the side panels to cover the edge of the base to form the butt joint for soldering.

In your drawing, that will have the effect of widening the bottom edges of two opposing sides by the material thickness, and widening the three free edges of the lid also by the material thickness. Gosh, trying to turn the visualisation of this into a sensible English sentence is being problematic!!

I hope this might prove helpful.

Regards,
Gavin

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the advice and expanation. A butt joint is not essential for this as the box won't really be seen when it is in the cab, so the sides touching will not be a problem (I hope) as I can run a fillet of solder along the join. I was more concerned about the width of the blue half etch lines so that the sides will bend through 90 degrees. They're 0.2mm and the plan is to use 0.2mm brass for the etch.

I've sent artwork to PPD for them to check and provide a quote.

1649781458109.png

Ian

SARSn3.5

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the advice and expanation. A butt joint is not essential for this as the box won't really be seen when it is in the cab, so the sides touching will not be a problem (I hope) as I can run a fillet of solder along the join. I was more concerned about the width of the blue half etch lines so that the sides will bend through 90 degrees. They're 0.2mm and the plan is to use 0.2mm brass for the etch.

I've sent artwork to PPD for them to check and provide a quote.

View attachment 160725

Ian
Ian,

The rule that etch lines for internal folds should be the same width as the material is thick is reliable, so that should be OK.

The rules I use were published a couple of decades or so ago by Hollywood Foundry which no longer operates following the retirement of its owner and its website has lapsed. But I do note that Paul Willis attached copies of the pdf files here -

Some of PPD's recommendations are more conservative that Hollywood Foundry's, but I have found that their attention to registration of the etch tools and overall quality control is excellent and copes perfectly well with drawings to HF's rules - I declare no personal interest here, just a very satisfied customer.

Gavin

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the reminder. I do remember looking at the Hollywood Foundry website a few years ago. A shame if it has lapsed as it was useful.
I've had a confirmation from PPD that the artwork is ok and I'm just awaiting a form to proceed with the work.

Ian