Quality 3D Prints

Mikemill

Western Thunderer
I don’t have a 3D printer because to date I have not seen any high quality prints.

I recently found a small firm offering quality prints and now have had two set of prints from them. I sent them a 2D CAD drawing of this GWR axle box and this is the test print I received; I don’t think it is an exaggeration to say it is perfect.

The ABS prints fidelity is superb and smooth as the preferable. I am now convinced 3D has a future in scale modelling.

MikeP1020567.JPG

JimG

Western Thunderer
I recently found a small firm offering quality prints and now have had two set of prints from them. I sent them a 2D CAD drawing of this GWR axle box and this is the test print I received; I don’t think it is an exaggeration to say it is perfect.

The ABS prints fidelity is superb and smooth as the preferable. I am now convinced 3D has a future in scale modelling.

Thumbs up for creating the 3D file from your 2D drawings. :)

Jim.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
I don’t have a 3D printer because to date I have not seen any high quality prints.
Mike, there are plenty of quality prints on Mickoo’s thread - scroll down here, for some examples….

Looks great - what scale is it please?

Welcome to the club! Here’s one of my examples (7mm scale), drawn in Fusion 360 and printed on my Elegoo Mars 2 Pro…
IMG_3373.jpeg

IMG_3382.jpeg
I’d run of of grey resin and had to use white, so I gave it a rough wash of dilute acrylic paint, to highlight the detail.

Regards

Dan

simond

Western Thunderer
Mike

There’s quite a bit of info here

Do please join in and add your experiences!

Atb
Simon

Western Thunderer
The jewellery trade had this market sewn up quite a few years ago now, I recall seeing this sort of quality ten years ago at a trade show at the NEC.

Was expensive back then, I guess it has got cheaper since.
Tony

simond

Western Thunderer
Yes but no but….

I think it was @mickoo who commented that they’re quite good at doing small fiddly bits but they can’t/don’t do big flat things, and they don’t care about dimensions, whereas we do.

Western Thunderer
I was just talking about the quality of the surface. Was unparalleled back then. You couldn't see any build lines.
Tony

Bill Bedford

Western Thunderer
The jewellery trade had this market sewn up quite a few years ago now, I recall seeing this sort of quality ten years ago at a trade show at the NEC.

Yes, but the jewellery trade prints with a wax-like resin which burns out for last-wax casting.

Bill Bedford

Western Thunderer
Yes but no but….

I think it was @mickoo who commented that they’re quite good at doing small fiddly bits but they can’t/don’t do big flat things, and they don’t care about dimensions, whereas we do.

If there is an accurate surface, then the dimensions are going to be accurate, No?

simond

Western Thunderer
ooh, Bill, not sure about that! It might be plane, but is it flat, it might be both, but is it in the right place (relative to what?) and is it the right size?

I rather think there is a difference in making a really nice wedding ring and a really accurate chimney; the precise dimensions of the jewellery really don't matter half so much as its weight.

And I can't imagine how MrsD might have reacted had the vicar blessed a model chimney before I stuck it on her finger...