Rail served oil depot

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi,

I am searching for images of the pipework associated with off-loading rail tankers at a small oil depot. Any ideas of where to find images, please? So far, all I can find are images of Fawley, maybe due to the sensitive nature of the subject etc.

The arrival of the Dapol Air Ministry 14t is rather tempting….there were numerous small oil buffer depots, usually tucked away in quiet locations in the UK, often just a transfer siding and a couple of others.

Tim

GrahamMc

Western Thunderer
There have been a couple of articles on pre-war depots in MRJ on this, in issues 60 and 141 but I seem to remember a more recent one as well. A bit of searching on the Model Railway Journal Index might get you somewhere.

The siding itself would be fairly simple, just connection points alongside the rail, pipework would then lead the fuel off to the fenced off depot proper and its storage tanks,

Last edited:

D869Zest

Other than the ubiquitous AM 14t wagons, what other tank wagons were used for 'ministry' traffic
The previous generation were the RCH 1907 (10 or 12T) and 1911 (14T) spec tanks. These lasted ages with their steel chassis. They are easy to spot in photos because they have the crossed over wire ropes which the AM tanks lack. From late WW2 onwards you have the anchor mounted designs.

As for 4mm scale models... can't help sorry but I have turned out a fair few 2mm scale tankies.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Background

After the abject failure of the scrapyard, this is another attempt at a diorama, based on a design from the useful Small Layout Design book by James Hilton published by Wild Swan. It offers a very simple self-contained diorama in a 1200 x 400 footprint, it could be easily repurposed as a fuel depot as an inglenook.

Left_Curved.jpg

There are a few changes to James Hilton’s plan that will take place, the actual baseboard is a 1200x400 rectangle from Grainge and Hodder, the turnouts will be a Peco curved and medium left with a large curved siding running along the front of the board. Otherwise all the main dimensions remain the same.

The original idea for a subject was a small Army fuel depot in a remote part of West Dorset, this might explain the rationale click here - Ryall Depot There is a large Defence Fuel Depot in Dorset, West Moors, once rail connected but it is a large establishment whilst Ryall is the railhead within a pre-WW2 camp that is connected to storage tanks under the hillside similar to nearby Portland. The design calls for just two similar buildings, the larger is the admin and t’other a maintenance shelter for the fuel transfer apparatus.

Unfortunately, this thread will be my final project, health is rapidly deteriorating and the little diorama is all that I can manage. The large layout, Pottendorf, is awaiting a visit from Andy Burham to capture it for Peco after which it will be offered as a functioning layout, someone will extract as much pleasure showing and exhibiting it as I did during its build.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi,

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

I promised Dave that I would post an image of the products of Goodwood Scenics* and this is their four-bay discharge pipework. Unfortunately I need to reduce it to 2x two-bay discharge pipes, wish me luck. This link is very informative

*No connection except as a happy customer

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Progress

20240907Layout1_800.jpg

The track is laid and the electrics are installed, it is a standard Roco Multimaus DCC system, testing was successful. The roadway is recyled picture mounting card, here they are after cutting, a set of French curves was essential.

1725782926274.png

The depot has a perimeter fence and gates, it has been recyled from a previous layout. The fence is adjacent to the long siding and gently curves its full length.

1725782964904.png

IMG_0106.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi,

A comment elsewhere suggested that the services did use non-mil spec vehicles as part of the ‘white fleet’ and Heather’s posts prompted a deep delve to find something suitable.

unnamed.jpg

The AEC Mercury was used in limited numbers by all three services for shifting aviation spirit and petrol (before the standardisation on diesel) to non-rail served bases. One of Base Toys offerings was such a vehicle and Milcast might supply suitable military markings but it will need some nice red fire extinguishers and other such frippery. Thankfully the Mercury is reasonably small, a fact much appreciated when negotiating ‘60s access roads and most of the crews were civilian. The fixed cab GM4 series was in production from 1954 until 1965 and approximately 13,000 were produced, one of AEC’s finest, still in service at RNAS Yeovilton well into the ‘70.

76LAN188020.jpg

The only other road vehicle is a Series 1 88” of the REME, not perfect but this early Oxford Diecast is rather nice.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Rail traffic

The short line to the camp from the mainline was operated by the Army with local civilian crews. There was a single loco shed in the camp and an extension from the goods shed to the fuel discharge point.

R3706.jpg

The diorama is defined by the use of a Ruston 48DS, some care is need not to mismatch the wagons but the Dapol Air Ministry 14t wagons are perfect. For the sake of variety a Bachmann 14t has been added, although not in the same league as the Dapol, it provides an interesting contrast and whilst I am somewhat adverse to ruining the Dapol beauties, the Bachmann is not off limits.

IMG_2293.jpg

37-675B.jpg

Finally, although a BR(E) stalwart, a Drewery 03 is the backup to the Ruston, fond memories of watching a Drewery shuffling around BOMO are the the excuse for D2011, the ‘witches hat’ exhaust is particularly evocative.

31-360_800.jpg

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Buildings

The two large buildings are exUS Army Quonset Huts, the models are a Rix Product whilst the larger is a Roco Minitanks version.
Below, an example of an exUS Army Quonset having been given a generous coat of bitumen paint.

IMG_4781.jpg

It is an opportunity to experiment with weathering, especially green mould, lichens and a coat of green mould weathering.

The unfinished Rix Quonset is a basic shelter for equipment maintenance.

IMG_2272_800.jpg

The gantry is a cheap accessory from Auhagen, the chain is 30links per 25mm

quonset2-800.jpg

The much larger admin Quonset from Roco Minitanks, although weathered, it still needs a couple of other details

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I wonder if the Roco hut is based on an original?
It looks to be a 24ft wide type, but the high position of the windows is most unusual - I’ve not seen one like that.
But would certainly be logical placement for an admin or other function where security was paramount.
The ventilators are an unfamiliar (to me) arrangement too.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
For those of a certain age and background, the NAAFI or YMCA tea wagon* was an essential, working remote from the canteen required that they 'came' to you.

1725812866540.jpeg

*For me it was the Aggie Weston van, wonderful baked bean pies. Unfortunately, too many stand easies were spent at similar vehicles in the bitingly cold wind, hoping that there was still a bacon sandwich. The fact that our dispersal was at the far end of the airfield meant that a cold cheese sarnie was all too often a poor substitute.

Andy has made this for the layout from a Bull Models kit.

Tim

1725813077336.jpeg