Railway Modeller, December 2012

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Out today and purchased on my way to work. Contents of particular interest to me are:

Aberbeeg - South Wales in S7, 8 pages.

St. Aldhelms Quay - Southern Region O gauge in Dorset, 6 pages.

Wencombe, Western Region transition era in 00, 7 pages.

Plan of the month, Woodburn, by Ian Futers, 5 pages.

Milk trains and creameries, 5 pages.

Well worth £3.75 in my opinion!

Regards

Dan

queensquare

Western Thunderer
An excellent issue. I saw Aberbeeg in the flesh at York at Easter and its a very impressive piece of work. We are at Warley with Tucking Mill in a couple of weeks so am hoping to get another look but I suspect it will attract a good crowd.

Jerry

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Out today and purchased on my way to work. Contents of particular interest to me are:

Aberbeeg - South Wales in S7, 8 pages.

St. Aldhelms Quay - Southern Region O gauge in Dorset, 6 pages.

Wencombe, Western Region transition era in 00, 7 pages.

Plan of the month, Woodburn, by Ian Futers, 5 pages.

Milk trains and creameries, 5 pages.

Well worth £3.75 in my opinion!

Regards

Dan

quite agree, some good reeding amongst that little lot.

cheers

Mike

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Well done to Alan for getting Wencombe in - am I right in thinking this may be the first time Western Thunder has been mentioned in print? - and also Geoff for getting another picture of Penhydd in there too..!! :thumbs:

Thanks Jordan,
I'm very happy that Alan got his quill out and has at last told the story behind Wencombe.

With Penhydd having appeared in RM twice this year I wasn't expecting a hat trick. So you can imagine my surprise when having just picked up the latest issue from my newsagent I found a complimentary copy and royalty cheque waiting on my doormat when I got home........bugger I spent £3.75 for nowt and got drenched into the bargain. :D

The modeller is improving of late and there are some interesting articles to come next year.

Geoff

Alan

Western Thunderer
I'm very happy that Alan got his quill out and has at last told the story behind Wencombe.

Thanks Geoff and Jordan.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Being an even tighter git, I've just had a browse in 'Smiffs'...
Well done to Alan for getting Wencombe in - am I right in thinking this may be the first time Western Thunder has been mentioned in print? - and also Geoff for getting another picture of Penhydd in there too..!! :thumbs:
:eek: You actually read the whole article in Smiffs?............the mark of a serious tight arse:)):thumbs:

S

Simon Dunkley

So you can imagine my surprise when having just picked up the latest issue from my newsagent I found a complimentary copy and royalty cheque waiting on my doormat when I got home........bugger I spent £3.75 for nowt and got drenched into the bargain.
You could always post it to Rob, and he could pass it on to Jordan...

I haven't finished reading it yet, but so far I would have liked a more in-depth interview on Aberbeeg (e.g. since problems with the camping mat as underlay occurred, what exactly were they? And since they were fixed, how were they fixed?) and whilst I don't wish to see individual styles removed, the standard of English in one or two places could be lifted - it gets very mangled - which is something I expect Editors to do (having spent a couple of years editing a scale society rag, I do have some experience).

I suppose I would say that the selection of subject matter appeals greatly, but the execution of it is not always as promising as the contents page led me to expect...

PMP

Western Thunderer
Without checking with Simon I think the issues were baseboard joint related regarding the weight of the locos and stock vs track defelection at the join. We'll be at Warley with it so you can drop by and get the gen there. The solution was to make the area at the joins more rigid if I recall correctly. However, I may not :confused: so don't quote me on it ....

S7BcSR

Western Thunderer
Having not bought RM for some considerable time I had been prewarned that Aberbeeg was going to be in it. Picked it up this lunchtime, good read. Saw the first couple of baseboards a couple of years ago and then it was at Telford in 2011 so good to see its progress and exposure in the press. As others say it is a good £3.75 worth this month.

RM does seem to have picked its boots up since last looking at it but maybe that is what the competition does.

Rob

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Thanks Jordan,

With Penhydd having appeared in RM twice this year I wasn't expecting a hat trick. So you can imagine my surprise when having just picked up the latest issue from my newsagent I found a complimentary copy and royalty cheque waiting on my doormat when I got home........bugger I spent £3.75 for nowt and got drenched into the bargain. :D

The modeller is improving of late and there are some interesting articles to come next year.

Geoff

I'll give you £2.50 for your spare copy :p

S

Simon Dunkley

Without checking with Simon I think the issues were baseboard joint related regarding the weight of the locos and stock vs track defelection at the join. We'll be at Warley with it so you can drop by and get the gen there. The solution was to make the area at the joins more rigid if I recall correctly. However, I may not :confused: so don't quote me on it ....
Thanks Paul: I will be at Warley on the Saturday, helping out on St. Juliot's Wharf, and will try to drop by. At York, the layout seemed to pass many people by (their loss: I loved it!) but now that it has been in RM, I suspect that it will get more attention.
My point wasn't so much about the lack of info (although that is also true and you have confirmed my suspicions about the issue and the resolution) but that the journalism could have been better: if RM is going to go in more for this kind of "interview" rather than prose approach, then they need to be on their toes a bit more, and spot these "hanging" issues. A couple of articles might have benefitted from the editor's blue pencil, to tidy up the abuses of our mother tongue, too! I won't say which, as one was written by a friend...

adrian

Flying Squad
At York, the layout seemed to pass many people by (their loss: I loved it!) but now that it has been in RM, I suspect that it will get more attention.
As you say it didn't seem to get that much attention at York but it was tucked away in a corner. As with any photo's or video they don't seem to give a good impression of the gradients involved on the layout. At York it was also very much a work in progress, no doubt it still is, but he seems to have done a lot more to it since York to finish off some areas.

Neil

Western Thunderer
.... I haven't finished reading it yet, but so far I would have liked a more in-depth interview on Aberbeeg (e.g. since problems with the camping mat as underlay occurred, what exactly were they? And since they were fixed, how were they fixed?) and whilst I don't wish to see individual styles removed, the standard of English in one or two places could be lifted - it gets very mangled - which is something I expect Editors to do (having spent a couple of years editing a scale society rag, I do have some experience)....

Glass half empty Dunks?

I read the Aberbeeg article again and found that I still enjoyed it. Now while there are some grammatical blunders that move me to shout at the telly (the mixing up of less and fewer) nothing in the article pushed my particular buttons. The problem with ironing out mistakes is that it so easily leads to blandness. I really enjoy pieces that have characterful fallibility rather than textbook smooth perfection. Likewise I'm not too fussed if there are bits missing, I read the Modeller for enjoyment rather than use it as an instruction manual. I find that I'm more drawn to the stuff that gives a window to the character of the builder and I'm less bothered by the model itself.

.... At York, the layout seemed to pass many people by (their loss: I loved it!) but now that it has been in RM, I suspect that it will get more attention....

Love the notion of the aloof and disinterested layout. :p

Reactions: PMP

PMP

Western Thunderer
Love the notion of the aloof and disinterested layout

Well it is a blue one after all ...

I know, I know, specially after wot I said in the other thread, I'll be on the naughty step if you need me :shit:

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Would now be a good time to do a bit of shameless self-promotion?, and just say that my layout "Schiller Point" is in the December Continental Modeller. A good 8-page spread with lots of piccys....:cool::):D

You must have the highest pages to square inches of layout ratio ever recorded for an O scale layout:)

Congratulations:thumbs:

Richard