Magazine Railway Modeller

Bob

Western Thunderer
Very nice to see 2 forum members with articles in the latest RM:thumbs:.

Alan's piece on writing the timetable for Wencombe is accompanied by some of his own photos (and very nice they look too).

Then Geoff's article on upgrading the old Airfix/Hornby Dean Goods. It's certainly a well-written article showing some lovely modelling.

As an aside I also picked-up the latest British Railway Modelling now re-branded as simply "BRM".......
not sure what other WT'ers have made of it but personally I think it's a backward step and both RM and Model Rail are out in front in the magazine stakes. MRJ of course is many lengths ahead.

Bob

Pannier Tank

Western Thunderer
Then Geoff's article on upgrading the old Airfix/Hornby Dean Goods. It's certainly a well-written article showing some lovely modelling.

The main reason why I purchased this months RM was Geoff's article; I wasn't disappointed! Well done Geoff.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Thank you very much chaps and well done Alan.

The main reason why I purchased this months RM was Geoff's article; I wasn't disappointed! Well done Geoff.

What ! You paid £3.75 when you could have read all about it in full, unedited and with more photos here....:D

http://thechroniclesofpenhydd.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Dean Goods

Glad you enjoyed the article David but it almost never saw the light of day due to Steve Flint questioning it's worth seeing as the Dean Goods was not currently available. I pointed out that many poor running examples must be stashed away and that you could pick up cheap examples on Ebay, thus creating a decent model of a popular engine rather than chopping a new one about.

However no sooner had the mag hit the shelves than Tim Rayner forwarded me an email he had received which stated, "2538 never ran with the tender as modelled". You can read about that here.. ................

http://radnorailways.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/a-tender-subject.html

Before I forget if anyone does not like the new paper that the magazine is printed on then let the editorial team know. As for BRM, last year I suggested that they looked at early issues and perhaps gave the old format another chance rather than follow Model Rail. It's such a shame to see BRM relying on gimmicks and a loud presentation when it was once packed with good modelling content.

Bob

Western Thunderer
As for BRM, last year I suggested that they looked at early issues and perhaps gave the old format another chance rather than follow Model Rail. It's such a shame to see BRM relying on gimmicks and a loud presentation when it was once packed with good modelling content.

I agree Geoff. Whilst I like Model Rail these days BRM's old format (especially in the early years) was great.
When it was launched it was a revelation and featured many of the best layouts and contributors.
My immediate though when I received the latest BRM was "blimey, looks just like Model Railways did in the early 90's".

"2538 never ran with the tender as modelled".

I wouldn't worry about that, looks just the job to me:thumbs: