Re: ALCO/INGERSOLL-RAND BOX CAB DIESELS

John D

Western Thunderer
ALCO/INGERSOLL-RAND BOX CAB DIESELS

A while back I built a model of one of these in S gauge using a drawing found in an old copy of the Model Railroader , and was pretty smitten with it. Having done it , it soon dawned that some stock would have to be found to go with it, either get it from the States or scratch build some myself. The former doesn't exactly come cheap by the time you add on import duty etc and the prospect of the latter didn't exactly fill me with joy,soooo.... back to the drawing board and the conclusion that I really should have come to in the first place , to do it in HO scale, where suitable mechanisms and stock come a heck of a sight cheaper.  So here it is..........built  in brass on a Bachmann 70 ton  diesel chassis ,which OK is not exactly right but I've modified the body slightly to fit and it doesn't look too bad......now for the rest  ;)

Attachments

• BOXCAB 005.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 3
  • BOXCAB 007.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 1
  • BOXCAB 011.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 0

28ten

Guv'nor

You might all enjoy this there are also some other stonking videos by Tim Warris

Simon

Flying Squad

That looks very nice indeed.

You want to be careful you know, next it will be 3mm and before you know it you'll have disappeared up your own.... I mean you'll be modelling very tiny sprinters in great big landscapes if you're not careful :p

I found some gurt big brass industrial loco in my shed yesterday, it looked strangely familiar......

John D

Western Thunderer

I found some gurt big brass industrial loco in my shed yesterday, it looked strangely familiar......

Well for heavens sake hang on to it.........they are rapidly becoming collector's items  ;)

John D

Western Thunderer

Here 'tis with a bit of paint on it, have used this Acid 8 primer from Halfords ( which is absolutely cracking stuff), with a topcoat of Halfords matt black. Will be lettered up as Lehigh Valley  no. 100  and suitably weathered and then the couplings on......then some stock to go with it.....then a bit of track for it to run on......dark side here I come........... ;D

Attachments

• BOXCAB 013.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 0
  • BOXCAB 014.jpg
    BOXCAB 014.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 5

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer

John,

That's a lovely piece of modelmaking.  Really impressive and nice to see people working in HO too.

Your approval of Acid 8 is also noted - I'll give it a whirl when I next finish something.. ;).

Steph

John D

Western Thunderer
ALCO/INGERSOLL-RAND BOX CAB DIESEL...ANOTHER ONE

Still smitten with the bug I've recently done some artwork and had etched up the body for the second type of boxcab as supplied to the Erie,Reading,C&NW roads etc ...........
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]

The body fits the Bachmann 44ton diesel chassis, the wheelbase of which is not too far off the prototype. It's off to the paintshop next when it will appear as Harlem Transfer Co no. 2 , though the thought of doing the lettering doesn't fill me with joy  :'(
  The layout to run the locos on is slo-o-o-wly  starting to appear , the recent acquisition of a Walthers carfloat kit (on the Devil's playground a.k.a. e-bay for not a silly price) has been a great help.......and I realy must stop buying boxcar kits  :eek:
    More anon........

Attachments

• mk2 boxcab D.jpg
    mk2 boxcab D.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 51
  • mk2 boxcab E.jpg
    mk2 boxcab E.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 50
  • mk2 boxcab F.jpg
    mk2 boxcab F.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 52
  • mk2 boxcab G.jpg
    mk2 boxcab G.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 51

Dikitriki

Flying Squad

I've got to go and lie down.

I found myself thinking 'mmm, that looks nice, I fancy one of those.'

Good stuff

Richard

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

I must admit I hadn't read the whole thread properly... (I'm not at the Back of the Class for nothing) and I was thinking this was S scale... :-[
Having just caught this topic in the RMweb Parallel Universe (Hi Crewe North from F-UnitMad  ;)  ) I now realise this is HO - which makes such intricate work with brass even more impressive!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

John D

Western Thunderer

Sorry for the gauge confusion Jordan......it started off in S gauge but when I checked out the cost of box cars and how many I'd need (I should have done this before building the loco  :headbang: :headbang:)  I then went down the HO scale path where the stuff's  nearly 'cheap as chips'.........Have surprised myself that I can still put stuff together in this scale given that my eyes ain't what they used to be........