Re: DJH Peppercorn A2 Pacific

djparkins

Western Thunderer
DJH Peppercorn A2 Pacific

I was on the DJH Web Site just now and was very pleased to see that they had a kit Peppercorn A2 available again.

I love these locos and so despite the fact that their kits offer no method springing or compensation, I was hovering over the click to buy button and then had a re-read of the kit spec. - I'm pleased I did:
Quote "An exciting new simplified format from DJH, cast one-piece Cab/Firebox/Boiler/Smokebox/assembly and cast one-piece Tender Body. This kit will appeal to experienced and novice kit builders alike for it’s greatly enhanced ease of assembly. Gone are all the intricate etched components that required soldering skills and hand dexterity"

Just about says it all really!  No more of that lovely two-stage etching on the rivetted tender.  Oh well, more Dumbing Down!  Result - one lost sale.

I'll save some of the money for the new Kemilway Gresley 61' 6" Panelled Full Brake!

Disappointed!

David Parkins

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer

I fail to see how that would appeal to an experienced model maker, when basically all there offering is a stick together die- cast [s:14p6pmsd]model[/s:14p6pmsd]toy.
There may well be a market out there for it but not where I come from.

Col.

djparkins

Western Thunderer

eastsidepilot said:
I fail to see how that would appeal to an experienced model maker, when basically all there offering is a stick together die- cast [s:1wsmps4s]model[/s:1wsmps4s]toy.
There may well be a market out there for it but not where I come from.

Col.

Indeed!

Thinking about this further, these could be kit versions of the RTR locos they have been offering and so there might also be an A1 Pacific coming along. 

I see also that some of their diesel kit prices have been reduced quite substantially.

David Parkins.

John D

Western Thunderer

Does not David Andrews do an  A2 kit and (also an A1) which don't quite have so much white metal about them ?

28ten

Guv'nor

CME & Bottlewasher said:
Hi David :wave:

I saw that in the GOG Gazette and wondered how the cab, tender, sides etc. had been managed :scratch:

Not really a step forward then!?

ATVB

CME :wave:
I just looked at that, seems like 3 bits for the loco body and two for the tender  :scratch:
it just reflects what we have said before, either through lack of willingness, skill or practice, a large part of the market isnt interested in 'intricate etched components' and I guess thay are reflecting that trend.

djparkins

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
I just looked at that, seems like 3 bits for the loco body and two for the tender  :scratch:
it just reflects what we have said before, either through lack of willingness, skill or practice, a large part of the market isnt interested in 'intricate etched components' and I guess thay are reflecting that trend.

Well it was the use of the words 'hand dexterity', that amused/surprised me.  Sounded like we had become a different species overnight - mind you, I guess it depends on what you have hand dexterity at!

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer

John D said:
Does not David Andrews do an  A2 kit and (also an A1) which don't quite have so much white metal about them ?

And Dave's kit is 100 quid cheaper !

Col.