Re: Rolling Stock for Banavie Road

JimG

Western Thunderer
Now on to the Spratt & Winkle style hooks.

The plethora of recent messages may give the impression that the coupling development has been proceeding at some pace - however anything but. :) This recent work started in at the beginning of April and there have been one or two dead ends and also supply hold ups. I had sourced small bore brass tube in the week before the Coronation, but for some reason the tracked package arrived at the local sorting office on the Friday before the event and I didn't get it delivered until Tuesday afternoon after the holiday. So I lost a week of time waiting on getting that tubing which was needed for the hook construction. And the garden, now becoming a jungle, demands some time. :)

I made up a small tool to bend the hook.

Couplings-19.jpg

It's a bit of brass rod with a 0.5mm hole drilled 4mm deep to accept the 0.45mm brass wire. No originality here - pinched from the methods to make Alex Jackson couplings which have been around for years. :)

Couplings-20.jpg

The wire is bent as far as possible in the tool - the taper helps here to allow that.

Couplings-21.jpg

The bend is squeezed flat with corrugated jaw pliers then inserted in a 1mm hole on the other end of the tool which is 2mm deep.

Couplings-22.jpg

The folded end is then bent to a thirty degree angle to form the hook. This can be a bit finnicky - i.e. getting the bend square to the wire. The wire behind the hook can also get a bit bent, as shown here, but this can be straightened out quite easily with pliers.

Couplings-18.jpg

I then machined a former for the hook out of alloy strip on the CNC mill. I actually use B&Q/Screwfix strip which machines very nicely - not the cheapest source, but handy. :) The hook and the delay action bar channels are obvious on the left. The short right angled channel on the right is to measure out the delay arm. The sunken area allows the sidecutters to get in to cut the wire. The 8BA screw top left is the connection for the RSU return.

Couplings-23.jpg

The delay bar is bent at right angles and inserted in the channel. It is trimmed to length at its left hand end and is trimmed to project 1.5mm from the channel at its right hand end, then the 1.5mm projection is bent upwards, as shown. the bends need a wee bit of squaring up with pliers when released from the jig.

Couplings-24.jpg

The hook and the delay bar are fitted on their channels and the hook wire is trimmed at the right hand end.

Couplings-25.jpg

A wee bit of brass strip and a 10BA screw hold both parts firmly and a short section of 0.7mm bore tube is inserted to provide an anchor for the coupling. A small blob of solder paste is applied to the junction of the tube and the two wires then the RSU is applied to fuse the lot together.

Couplings-26.jpg

The soldered hook removed from the jig. The length of the brass tube has been filed down while in the jig.

Couplings-27.jpg

The hook and bar away from the jig. I also applied solder to the hook to prevent it being opened by pulling forces under load. the solder doesn't look too tidy in big close up - I'll hit it with the fine bit in my 45W to improve matters. :)

Couplings-28.jpg

...and the three link chain fitted with the iron link at the bottom. I also prefer to bend down the end of the delay bar which gives a bit more leeway when pushing under the bar when moving into the delayed position.

Jim.

JimG

Western Thunderer
I forgot to finish off the coupling building - this was all completed about two weeks ago but this spell of fine weather has prompted a lot of work trying to restore the garden to some sort of order, and I had to repair a hole in my garage roof. :)

Couplings-29.jpg

The jig for the hook was also used to make the fulcrum bearing for the hook. The bearing is a short length of brass tube which is an easy fit on a 12BA thread. I opted to make the fulcrum and the hook as separate items and join them with a length of 0.5mm bore tube so that I could adjust the position of the hook to get the best operation. The fulcrum wire is bent to follow a quarter arc round the tube to increase the solder contact area and also to get away to a certain extent from the straight shear force on the joint if the wire was straight.

Couplings-30.jpg

The hook was added using the length of brass tube and fitted to a 12BA screw into the tapped hole in the bracket, which was then locked with a 12BA half nut. The hook was added then a counterweight was fitted using a No.1 size fisherman's "lead" shot which was slid along the wire and then squeezed when a nice balance was achieved.

Couplings-31.jpg

Then all six underframes got their couplings fitted and their wheels and axles fitted. The test track is a couple of 3' 6" diameter radius reverse curves to test the minimum extension of the hook to ensure coupling on a reverse curve. The buffers are sprung but I prefer to not rely on their compression since trying to couple to a single wagon might require quite a sharp bump to compress the springs. I have actually had to adjust the extension of the couplings from my initial calculations and I suspect I might have to visit them again to add a little bit more.

Couplings-32.jpg

Another shot of the wagons showing the sprung bearings sitting about half way up their 1mm total travel with just about 0.5mm gap showing over the bearing. This is where I aim to get them sitting and I now tend to use one size of spring wire and adjust the weight if the wagon body to get the correct ride height. In this case the underframe weight about 38gms, so almost 10gms per bearing on the 0.007" guitar string, which is pretty well what Russ Elliot's formula predicted. When I designed the "W" irons I spent a bit of experimenting to allow the wire spring to be easily removed to allow experimentation with different gauges, but I reckon I'll not really need that now.

Jim.