Reading O Gauge Trade Show, 4th December 2021

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Just noticed this on Tower Models’ web site….

C0A5796C-0A4B-40FD-A1B8-5CDC5E6C8D5A.jpeg

I was supposed to be working that day and only remembered to apply for the day off yesterday! Oh well, better luck next year…

Regards

Dan

Last edited:

Les Golledge

Just noticed this on Tower Models’ web site….

Reading Show cancelled.

We have heard today that sadly the Guildford Gauge O Group show at the Rivermead centre in Reading which was going ahead the first Saturday in December has been cancelled. It is a pity but probably the right decision.

I was supposed to be working that day and only remembered to apply for the day off yesterday! Oh well, better luck next year…

Regards

Dan

Hi Dan,

Just looked on Guildford Group website and there is no mention of the show being cancelled.
Is it correct or is there some malicious post somewhere.
Perhaps a copy of the post on Tower's website should be sent to Guildford Group.
Regards,

Les.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Hi Les

I’ve replaced the quote in my post, with a screenshot from Tower Models’ web site and will also send it to the Guildford O Gauge Group.

Edit: Sent - will advise their response, as and when it arrives.

Regards

Dan

Last edited:

daifly

Western Thunderer
When I saw Dan’s post I could find nothing to corroborate it, particularly, as Les highlights, on the Guildford group’s own website. So I also wrote early this afternoon to get some clarity. I’ll report back if/when a reply is received. Dave

lankytank

Western Thunderer
Metalsmith (Leeds) Ltd requested confirmation, one way or t'other, via an email, on the 28th Sept - as of the time of this email - no confirmation, either way, has been notified......!?!?

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I have to say I am inclined to take Tower Model's SITREP at face value until proven otherwise, given that they have a significant presence at this event and they must surely have acted on reliable intel on the show's status.

"If you don't know where you are going, any (train) will get you there"
Lewis Carroll​

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Have the Finney7 organisation not had any communication from Guildford yet to be able to comment?

regards

Mike

daifly

Western Thunderer
Just spoken with Tower Models and politely asked the source of the info.

Apparently this has come via Andy Duncan and Bill at Premier Components. The car park at Rivermead is now a building site with approx 3/4 lost and the main building has lost one of it's grim toilet facilities.
Work starts on new Rivermead leisure centre in Reading

Tower have also been trying to get verification of the situation from the Guildford Group but to no avail. However, in light of the car parking problem, it's clearly a non-starter.

Dave

p.s. mention was also made that cancellation is in the Gazette and Guild News - perhaps the November issues when published but it's not in the August issues.

Last edited:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
The car park at Rivermead is now a building site with approx 3/4 lost and the main building has lost one of it's grim toilet facilities.
Dave

If this is the case and the remaining car park is insufficient to meet requirements then Reading Council should have informed Guildford of this fact long ago, let alone warning them that the building works were imminent. Building sites do not just spring up out of thin air, they follow long periods of planning, tendering and Contract stages before temporary fencing even starts to be erected and this information should have been passed on to all intended uses/hirers of the facility. I notice that the date on Dave's link is 31st August, so whyy has it taken six weeks for this to come to the surface?

I would have thought that Guildford would have learnt a lesson from the 'double booking' fiasco from a few years back and should hit Reading Council for every sort of loss adjustment that they can come up with.

regards

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
Better: The Feel Good Place. Join us now.

despite it's title, the link will take you to the description of the updates.

The google maps "satellite" image does not show any work ongoing, but of course I don't know when it was last updated.

I did try to ring Rivermead, but the phone menu system is very carefully designed to ensure that you cannot speak to a human.

The Guildford group's webpage says (last update 6th Sept) that it's on.

Home - Reading Trade Show 2021

I guess we wait and see...

Last edited:

daifly

Western Thunderer
If this is the case and the remaining car park is insufficient to meet requirements then Reading Council should have informed Guildford of this fact long ago,
Rivermead is owned by Reading Council but operated by Greenwich Leisure Limited (GLL) who were awarded the contract last year to build the two new pool centres. It would be their responsibility to make the Guildford group aware of the situation and should most certainly have done so at the time of the booking.

The event is also conspicuously absent from the Guild's Events page. The Events page is maintained by the members not the Guild itself.

Dave

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Thing is even if it does go ahead you wont get a parking place as it will be full with the sports centre people before anyone get there !

Col.

simond

Western Thunderer
If I go, I’ll use the train anyway. The parking is always very busy.

I hadn’t realised that Andy Duncan is the G0G Trade Liason Ossifer. (I shall salute, next time I see him.). You’d hope he’d know, though I’m surprised the group hasn’t waved a flag of some sort. Maybe there’s a plan B.

lankytank

Western Thunderer
One can only wish that they had extended the same courtesy requested in the last paragraph, themselves...... :(

Also, an indication of which end of the M3 is being considered - it's location could add a significant amount of travelling time for us Northerners :thumbs: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

Hey ho......