Rebuilt Crosti 9f

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Having more or less finished my Simplex project I thought I'd have a go at something with a few more wheels.

So.... here goes: a rebuilt Crosti 9f to Scaleseven standards using a Scorpio/Seven Models kit as a basis.

The kit arrived the other week and I was also able to get a set of S7 wheels from Modern Outline Kits.

Unfortunately I have been a bit poorly this week, so I've just been tinkering with some of the parts; doing lots of research & wondering where on earth I'm going to run the thing once it's completed!

20220204_144836.jpg

20220130_124216.jpg

20220130_124105.jpg

Just a few pics of some of the parts.

Mike

Attachments

• 20220130_124047.jpg
    20220130_124047.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 18

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
The MOK wheel sets are made in South Korea, stainless tyres on brass centres fitted to 5mm stainless axles. The tyre width may be a little over the S7 standard.
Col.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
The MOK wheel sets are made in South Korea, stainless tyres on brass centres fitted to 5mm stainless axles. The tyre width may be a little over the S7 standard.
Col.

I think you're probably right about them being slightly over width. I can live with that. :)

I think I'll just move the side frames out about 1mm each side to get the required clearance.

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike,

The spacing of the full size tender frames is 5' 9" , pretty tight clearance even in full size.

Simon

Thanks Simon.

I have four or five books on the 9fs, but could I find this info?

As you say, it's pretty tight clearance so I may use my special engineering tape measure that allows certain dimensions to be 'eased'! ;-)

Mike

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Mike I have built 4 MOK BR tenders with those wheels and they just fit, so you aren't going to need to move the frames out by much.

It is hard to tell from that photo just how tight the fit is.

Richard

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Mike I have built 4 MOK BR tenders with those wheels and they just fit, so you aren't going to need to move the frames out by much.

It is hard to tell from that photo just how tight the fit is.

Richard

Yes, I think the frames need to move out by 0.5mm. Not much, but it will make a difference. This is an ex Jim Harris tender I think, so dimensions might not be quite as spot on as MOK.

Mike

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
The sets of MOK tender wheels I have here measure 37.66 overall so if your going to limit the side play to the centre axle, the inside measurement for the prototype is 40.227 minus 37.66 gives 2.567mm, a tad over 1.2mm clearance on either side, should be enough unless your going round toy town Peco curves :)).
The tyres measure 3.3mm by the way, right on the max. for S7, but the important measurement is the B-T-B.

Col.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
The sets of MOK tender wheels I have here measure 37.66 overall so if your going to limit the side play to the centre axle, the inside measurement for the prototype is 40.227 minus 37.66 gives 2.567mm, a tad over 1.2mm clearance on either side, should be enough unless your going round toy town Peco curves :)).
The tyres measure 3.3mm by the way, right on the max. for S7, but the important measurement is the B-T-B.

Col.

Sounds good to me. It means I'll be moving the frames out just a tad to comply with the prototype.

Still, this is probably all a walk in the park compared to building the actual loco itself! Should be some fun & games ahead!

Mike

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Mike

I started a ACME model products Crosti 9f about 20 years ago, I think its origins were from Jim Harris. It is a shockingly bad kit, the castings were terrible, I still have it somewhere.

I did make a start on the tender, this is how far I got

20220211_140610.jpg

20220211_140600.jpg

20220211_140450_HDR.jpg

The frames are the correct distance apart, 40 and a bit mm, the wheels just fit in nicely and they are 3.15mm wide, these were ones I turned up from Alan Harris castings, I am surprised yours don't quite fit.

I'm sure you will be able to make an excellent tender from the kit.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I'm mindful that this is supposed to be about the Crosti 9f rather than BR1G tenders! I will make a start on the locomotive soon. Promise!

Mike

daifly

Western Thunderer
I'm mindful that this is supposed to be about the Crosti 9f rather than BR1G tenders! I will make a start on the locomotive soon. Promise!

Mike
Mike
Any particular reason you're building a BR1G tender rather than the more usual BR1B that ran behind the Crostis until they were 'rebuilt'?
Or was that a typo?
Dave

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Any particular reason you're building a BR1G tender rather than the more usual BR1B that ran behind the Crostis until they were 'rebuilt'?
Dave (@daifly), this comment confuses me. The first post shows a box which says that the kit includes a BR1B tender, further in that post Spikey says that the kit is going to be built as a "re-built" Crosti - so what tender ought to run with a rebuilt Crosti and where does BR1G come into the story?

regards, Graham