Rebuilt Crosti 9f

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Certainly looking very nice, now, Mike. I rather prefer these locos after removal of the pre-heater equipment.
Just a minor comments, if I may? On the RHS, the injector steam pipes, which pass down the side of the firebox, continue below the footplate to the injectors. On the model, they do not really line up so do not look like continuos pipes above and below, Perhaps some slight tweaking might improve it?
Dave

Cheers Dave.

To be honest I'm not too sure on how all these pipes line up, so a bit of guesswork on my part. Do you have a diagram or pictures that a numpty like me could understand?

Thanks

Mike

daifly

Western Thunderer
Looking at your castings and comparing with a Britannia ash pan I think they're the two outer ones seen here at high level, aka damper doors, the dump/waste doors are on the bottom and have been removed.

Copyright Nigel Fraser Ker, the website from whence these came seems to have gone now or may have changed address.

View attachment 175748
The website is now at Pictures of
Dave

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Hello Mike,

the pipes look Ok to me as the steam pipes run down from the steam turret, and water pipes. run underneath the running board as seen in this photo.

Copyright unknown
92090_9th_aug_64.jpg

Is this a post prestarvation fitting?
Copyright unknown
Copy of IMG_3712.JPG

Copyright unknown
Copy of IMG_3713.JPG

In this photo you can see how the small pipes (steam) run up to the footplate from the inside of the injector. The two larger pipes (water) start to form a curve to run under the footplate. On a Crosti both of the water pipes run under the footplate until they line up with the clack valves.
Copyright unknown
7109797693_3b5189454c_b.jpg

On this loco you can see the bend in the water pipe starting to form under the footplate.
Copyright unknown
7109785045_66b6155acc_o - Copy.jpg

Don't do this to your tender.
Copyright unknown
Copy of 6963715462_4c6db5c329_o.jpg

ATB

OzzyO.

Last edited:

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Hello Mike,

the pipes look Ok to me as the steam pipes run down from the steam turret, and water pipes. run underneath the running board as seen in this photo.

Copyright unknown
View attachment 200657

Is this a post prestarvation fitting?
Copyright unknown
View attachment 200658

Copyright unknown
View attachment 200659

In this photo you can see how the small pipes (steam) run up to the footplate from the inside of the injector. The two larger pipes (water) start to form a curve to run under the footplate. On a Crosti both of the water run under the footplate until they line up with the clack valves.
Copyright unknown
View attachment 200661

On this loco you can see the bend in the water pipe starting to form under the footplate.
Copyright unknown
View attachment 200663

Don't do this to your tender.
Copyright unknown
View attachment 200662

ATB

OzzyO.
Thanks for the pictures and your comments regarding the pipe runs. I think how I've got it about right. I'm not moving 'em again!

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
There's a bit of painting/weathering to do on the handrails and probably a multitudes of bits I've missed, but I think I'm about done. I'll get some better pictures when I can pose the Crosti on my layout. 20231111_140704.jpg20231111_140744.jpg20231111_141036.jpg
You'll also get an insight into some of my musical tastes in the picture below! :eek:
20231111_140924.jpg
Mike

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Looking good Mike. :thumbs:

I’ve always wondered though, why Crosti 9Fs didn’t have a conventional smokebox door (with central dart), like a standard 9F?

I guess it’s something to do with the internal layout of the Crosti smokebox, as the original means of expelling exhaust smoke and/or steam, was about half-way along the RHS of the boiler, I believe?

Regards

Dan

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I recommend Diane Carney for smoke box no and shed plate Mike if you haven't got them yet, cracking job

Ken
Thanks Ken.

Shed plate is already affixed, but I'm guessing my less than perfect paint-job has obscured it. ;)

Having seen some pics of at least one Crosti running without a smokebox number I thought I'd do the same. So I'll be leaving it as is, in a rather rundown state.

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Thoroughly enjoyed watching this build come together, you should be rightly proud of your efforts
Thanks Steve.

It has been quite an adventure! I've learnt a lot from the build. Hopefully it'll inspire another builder to have a go at putting a Crosti together. It is a challenge, but to be fair I did choose to modify/upgrade a lot of parts.

Mike

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Despite your choice in music...

Brian

Actually, cards on the table and all that... Pink Floyd - I've been to many concerts by them and the individuals from the band after they broke up. I'm still going to rock concerts with my daughter even now. Queens of the Stone Age at the O2 on Wednesday. :)) The late great Mark Lanegan, Queen in their day etc...

Mike - I retract whatever I said about your music.

Brian