Red Caboose GP9 kits - ALL builders/Models/Info/References welcome

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'll start a new thread here as several people are embarking on building these kits and it'll keep all the resources and notes in one place.

I've got several of these kits and plan quite a few variants, all of mine will run on the donor Atlas/Roco F9 model which is what the GP-9 is based around, they can be picked up 2nd hand for reasonable prices.

The basic kit.

IMG_9969.jpg

One of the biggest areas of improvement is the chassis, I started out by adding Plasticard frame rails and pilot supports before the project was put aside, when I restart I'll consider a whole new etched chassis I suspect.

IMG_0299.jpg

One option explored already is the cab cover for B units, it just drops in place of the kit cab.

IMG_9213.jpg

The other option is an etched cab for SP's factory chopped nose units, a WIP.

IMG_1271.jpg

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
References

If you're modelling the Southern Pacific, then this book is worth considering.

Watch for pricing hawks/sharks, they can push the price really high on the back of out of print and Strathpac as the author, shop around and be prepared to wait and you can pick a good copy up for around £20-30, in this case new which is really good value.

Diesel Era also ran a long study on GP9's in their magazine, as far as I know all Railroads were covered, they're very good at detailing batches ordered and notes on variations in each batch, back copies can be got from their site or you can scour the usual sources for 2nd hand copies.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Yes please Dave, trying to find anything on either the Des Plaines or PD websites is nothing short of a nightmare !

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'll dig out reference numbers of the detail parts I used for mine and dump them here if it assists. :)
Definitely please do.

Like Richard and JB are now finding out, there's just too many options to get your head around. I ended up going round in circles as there isn't one package or set up that suits all, you end up mixing and matching and then some bits are better than others and then they don't interact with part C and H, just crazy.

That's why I decided to just stick with the Atlas/Roco chassis, it may not be perfect but it got rid of a load of mental juggling/sourcing alternatives and allowed me to focus on the actual models.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Des Plaines Hobbies still have 25 kits in stock for $60 according to their website
Wrong scale for me though...

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Here goes to start with :).

To mis-quote Gilbert and Sullivan's Mikado.....
As some day it may happen that a GP9 must be found
I've got a little list — I've got a little list
Of detail parts which may well be underground....

I'll edit this list to add more parts as I kept the card labels for these - when I find them ;).

I'll also add photos of the parts I made up from plasticard, brass, scrap etch, etc, etc to this thread.

The numbers in brackets after the description are the number of items in the pack.

P&D Hobby
PDP 1005 Sand Hatch EMD (2)
PDP 1027 Lift rings, EMD, brass (14) - I ordered more than one set to give me spares
PDP 1079 Bracket, uncoupling rod, EMD, for coupler lift bar, brass (6) - need 2 sets as there are 4 on each pilot
PDP 1081 Door handles (2)
PDP 1091 Cab seat, EMD, lge, brass (1)
PDP 2039 Cab seat, EMD, sm, brass (1)
PDP 2100K Stanchion Kit, EMD GP's, Pressed Type, GP9's, Red Caboose, etc (24 side, 4 end), brass
PDP 5810 Speed recorder, EMD Blomberg truck (1)

Cal Scale
CAL 3011 Air Horn, 3 chime Nathan w/bracket (1) (for SP) (ATSF generally used Leslie horns)

Custom Finishing - OSA/Custom Finishing Parts List (PDF) attached so you can see what the look like.
CUF 1036 Drop step EMD low style operating (2)

Precision Scale - Downloadable illustrated O scale Diesel Parts Catalogue - scroll down to #9746: Precision Scale Company – Importer of Brass Model Trains
PSC 4649 Air hose with angle cock & glad hand (4)
PSC 5604 Dual junction box (2)
PSC 5620 EMD fuel filler cap (2)
PSC 5660 Ground light w/bracket & conduit (2)
PSC 56118 Pyle National Single sealed beam warning Gyralight (2) (for top light in SP 5 light package)
PSC 56148 Nathan P3 3 chime horn (1) (substitue for Cal Scale version)
PSC 56154 Pyle dual beam Gyralight (1) (for next set down in SP 5 light headlight package)
PSC 56197 2nd generation diesel MU connectors (4)
PSC 56205.2 Beacon, warning, w/amber lens, diesel roof mount (1)

Detail associates
DTA 5066 Cab Vent, Round, Caboose vent

Des Plaines
OSA 886 Windshield wipers single/double arm - these are finer than those in the RC kit
OSA 926 Bell Underframe mount
OSA 1057 GP7/9 Steps and Radiator Screens - these are etched and no longer feature in their lists

updated 21/01/2021 23.16 hrs.
updated 22/01/2021 13.37 hrs.
updated 22/01/2021 13.42 hrs.

Attachments

• OSA parts list.pdf
    564 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
Have my hands full at the moment, but I can add that Des Plaines offers parts in their O Scale America line to detail or modify this kit. The first thing that comes to mind is a windshield piece to that drops in when doing a chopped nose version. I'll dig around my stash and other info a bit later today and report back with my findings.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I have a couple of GP9 in progress when the mood strikes when time is available. Bits of them have been seen before, I will post more as things get done. The first one is being converted to a Canadian Pacific GP9u with chopped nose and dynamic brake removed. I chose 1614 based on photographs, then realised it had been 8823, the last CPs phase 2 GP9 built. The other one is being built as 8822 in original condition. I am also thinking about scratchbuilding 8824 which was a MLW (Alco) RS-10 and then 8825, the first CP phase 3 GP9, modified from a RC kit. A Canadian National lightweight GP9 on Flexicoil trucks is tempting too.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Des Plaines Hobbies still have 25 kits in stock for $60 according to their website
Wrong scale for me though...
Shame, they make perfect centre beam switchers.........;)

I am tempted to pick a few more up, but will wait until after NMRA show or whatever it's called.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Just in case, you know I'm a worrier, anybody has dusted off their RC GP9 body kit and hasn't decided how to motorise it yet, there are two choices: Atlas/Roco and Weaver/P&D.

The Atlas/Roco just uses the trucks from an F9 and the 2 x drive shafts extended by cutting them in half and pushing them into a piece of Plastruct square tube. That's assuming you have the RC chassis piece with high, truck-mounting shapes. I've done it.

The Weaver/P&D drive has the nice brass trucks, make sure you get the GP version (bolster height?), the separate DPH brass floor plate (Arry Dodd up in Scotland has had a small number of steel plates done) and the Pittman AMETEK motored, Weaver/P&D shafts and gears, 4-axle power kit. Have I forgotten anything? The brass trucks aren't on the website at the moment.
WRONG: thanks James: Truck, EMD Blomberg, EMD GP's, unpainted brass (pr), P&D Hobby Shop: Truck, EMD Blomberg, EMD GP's, unpainted brass (pr)

Any comments? I have to admit I get hesitant about putting anything in print these days, it's all so quickly out-of-date. I have some old F9s in poor condition which can become GP power, improved with NWSL wheels (no I'm no longer importing. Importing is not difficult you know, getting small, bulk shipments shares the import costs. Yes, postal charges are sickening - I heard it was helping plug the gap in the USPS Pension Scheme, maybe our RM's too). I do have quite a lot of Weaver drive parts from kit-powering days. Must think about making a list again.
Jason
ps: Mick MTH 42" x 6, correct?

Last edited:

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
I'll attempt to list various bits of info on detail parts in general and also specifically for the Red Caboose gp9. This may take more than one attempt, as I remember or find useful information along the way.

For starters, I'll run down the detail parts listing at Des Plaines. As noted, the website is mostly useless for identifying parts, as there aren't any photos, and barely any descriptions.

In the O scale details category, the items are listed alphabetically by manufacturer. If you go to the part manufacturer's website, you can often find drawing or photo representation of the parts.

190-**** - Cal-Scale, O scale parts page
585-**** - Precision Scale, O scale parts catalog
AFT - Archer resin detail decals, O scale page
DPO - unknown
DRL - unknown
GLP - Grandt Line Products, now owned by San Juan Car Company
GPM - Glacier Park Models
HTD - High Tech Details, part of Glacier Park Models
KVM - KV Models - etched metal parts
LWP - Lines West Products - 3d printed Milwaukee Road prototypes
MRM - Mullet River Models - now owned by Des Plaines
OSA - O Scale America - Des Plaines house brand, a combination of ex-Custom Finishing parts and new run parts
SJC - San Juan Car Company
TTG - Tichy Train Group

I see that Des Plaines does have a few photos available with some of their OSA parts, but the vast majority still lack information. As noted above, a fair amount of the O Scale America is ex-Custom Finishing. Attached at the end of the post will be a pdf of an old Custom Finishing "catalog" that has drawings of the various parts. It's not the greatest, but it sure beats nothing at all. The Custom Finishing parts numbers listed in the catalog are the same as the OSA numbers listed on the DPH website, except the prefix has been changed to OSA.

Any OSA parts not found in the number range of the old Custom Finishing parts are things that DPH has developed themselves, or possibly acquired from another company. They have (or had, before Ron Sebastian passed away) made a habit of acquiring other lines when original owners pass or retire. The Custom Finishing numbers run from 900 to 1052, the new OSA parts run from 800 ish to 899 and from 1053 onwards.

Some notable examples of useful OSA parts for modifying the gp9 include:
OSA805 - Fan hatch to convert to 48" fans
OSA807 - Windshield for low nose versions
OSA1020 - Rooftop air tank ends for steam generator equipped locos
OSA1032 - EMD handrail stanchions - cast - not currently on the website, which usually means not in stock
OSA1057 - Etched metal step and louver detail sheet - not currently on the website, so not in stock

There are also several steam generator and headlight parts if needed for a specific prototype.

P&D Hobby also has an extensive collection of detail parts. P&D and Des Plaines will be the two logical places to look for detailing items for the gp9 and many other locos. P&D has done a better job in recent years of adding photos to their website, although they still aren't the greatest for seeing the parts. Again, better than nothing.

There is a lot of overlap in parts between the two vendors. Both in terms of manufacturers and in terms of parts. P&D has a house brand of parts, like DPH some parts are newly developed and some are acquired (old Kemtron brass for example). Interestingly, P&D also stocks a fair amount of OSA parts. So in a twist, you can go to the P&D website and see photos of OSA parts, which you can't see on the DPH website. The OSA parts will be listed at P&D as Custom Finishing, or CUF, rather than OSA. Like DPH, P&D also carries Hi-Tech and Cal-Scale. Unlike DPH, P&D has a large assortment of Precision Scale parts.

One thing that is interesting for both vendors, they both had the primary owners pass away in the past year or two. Both stores have continued on with family taking over the day to day operations. However, both Pat Mucci at P&D and Ron Sebastian at Des Plaines were the driving factors in their respective store's involvement in O scale trains, and I'm not sure how their losses will impact the decision making at either place. As a for instance, will Des Plaines feel compelled to produce new etch to replace depleted stock for the gp9 step and louver set? Will P&D return to shows like the March Meet in Chicago? They haven't been to any of the normal shows since Pat's passing. It will be something to keep an eye on.

I have some of the gp9 detailing parts on hand, since I have a goal of someday producing a steam generator equipped Central Vermon gp9.

Central Vermont gp9 by Edward J. Ozog
rrpicture0045.jpg

Let me dig out my stash and see what I have on hand. I'll post photos when I get locate things, and also post anything else I think of regarding the gp9 projects in general.

Jim

Attachments

• OSA parts list.pdf
    562.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: