Prototype Regauged Baldwin Gas Mechanical at Apedale, 2017

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
That is a an absolutely fabulous contraption. Heath Robinson would be proud. I especially like the way the forces from the rear buffer beam are transmitted through the cab.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Tyres are from Krupp (Germany I guess - they had no plants in the USA) in 1912.
When were these WW1 era locos built I wonder? America only got involved in the Great War in 1917 so guess they used old stock tyres?

Krupp were transporting iron products worldwide (plenty supplied to the fledgling American railroads), for example to Argentina, in their own ships, and taking return loads of Argentinian grain back home.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
OK, Mr. Wiki assures me the French purchased some 600 of these 67hp locos from Baldwin - and the French were building their pool of light railway equipment early on, so the 1912 date could be correct for the build.

But Apedale says this is a 1918 build - note it has now been converted back to narrow gauge:

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Tyres are from Krupp (Germany I guess - they had no plants in the USA) in 1912.
When were these WW1 era locos built I wonder? America only got involved in the Great War in 1917 so guess they used old stock tyres?

Krupp were transporting iron products worldwide (plenty supplied to the fledgling American railroads), for example to Argentina, in their own ships, and taking return loads of Argentinian grain back home.
I suspect the tyres are not the originals, from what I can discern from photos of unmolested locos they were a fair bit narrower, certainly more in keeping with a 2ft gauge machine.

I think this is the same machine, note the sprocket ( originally a crank) and the mounts for the standard guage brake gear.
Apedale more recently

Rob