Removing Pressfix transfers

MarkR

Western Thunderer
I wonder, is there a simple, effective way to remove HMRS Pressfix transfers, without damaging the painted surface?
Many thanks
Mark

Last edited:

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Taking these off a cellulose top coat with out damage is not doable. I had to strip the coach right back and restart the whole finishing process again. Not the best news. I can't comment on enamel or acrylic finishes as I don't use these.

Mike

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Mark,
You could try Micro Sol decal remover solution. Although designed for water slide transfers, I believe, it may work. If not try meth's.
Col.

Last edited:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Taking these off a cellulose top coat with out damage is not doable. I had to strip the coach right back and restart the whole finishing process again. Not the best news. I can't comment on enamel or acrylic finishes as I don't use these.

Mike
I have had the same issue on acrylics. Pretty much once they are stuck they are stuck. One of the reasons why I prefer methfix, which at least allow some adjustments as long as you keep them moist.

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike, Col and Rob,
Many thanks for your tips, I have just mis-spaced one letter, and it’s bugging me! A mistake I really shouldn’t have made, as I served an apprenticeship as a lithographic draughtsman! Albeit, a long time ago.
Mark

LarryG

Western Thunderer
"Pressfix" are only held in place with some sort of gum so they should be easily removable with a sharp knife underneath them. Its removing the gum residue afterwards that's a problem. I use Brasso, which is fine on real cellulose but but not on Halford Acrylic paint

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry,
Many thanks for your tip, I think hand sanitizer can be used to remove the adhesive residue.
Mark

MarkR

Western Thunderer
I was going to suggest a hammer and chisel but I suspect you didn’t actually mean what you wrote!
Dave
Hi Dave
I wondered who would spot that! Yes, I did mean "without" damaging the paint finish on the Dapol wagon.
Many thanks for pointing out my mistake.
Mark

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
Depending on the paint use a Cotton Bud and White Spirit. Lift with a wood Cocktail stick. Meths dissolves acyrlic paint.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Mark,
You could try Micro Sol decal remover solution. Although designed for water slide transfers, I believe, it may work. If not try meth's.
Col.
That's what I tried with the cellulose and it took it all off including the primer! I had / have meths on my work top, but didn't think of that. If it works please let us know.

Mike

MarkR

Western Thunderer
The slightly wonky and mis-spaced "A" was meaning I couldn't settle down for the night, so with scalpel in hand, I took LarryG's advice, and 5 minutes later it was gone, thank you Larry, now I can sleep on it before replacing the "A" with one that is straight and correctly spaced.
Many thanks for all your replies.
Mark20220206_225218.jpg20220206_231819.jpg

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Nice job! It's odd how you can sometimes miss something like that at the time and then look at it later and wonder how it didn't stand out. I've done that a few times and now probably over-compensate by checking and re-checking every letter or number... yet I still look at thing s day later and think "now is that really straight...?"
A bit like brasso, I've also used T-Cut for this sort of situation...