Rob's Painting, Lining & Weathering

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
The final item that I completed in the last week is the Gladiator Beer van.

A recent discovery in the Vallejo Model Colour range was Dark Sea Grey and Leather Brown, which work very well as an acrylic substitute for the Tarmac and Matt Leather that seem to be favoured by many as weathering staples.

IMG_7488_zpsrubfifwo.jpg

IMG_7487_zpsyxo3vseu.jpg

IMG_7486_zpswtd4fb47.jpg

Puddlejumper

Western Thunderer
That's really nice Rob, have you been acquirng more coffee stirrers by any chance:)

If you've got a spare 10 mins I wouldn't mind one of those crates:thumbs:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
That's really nice Rob, have you been acquiring more coffee stirrers by any chance:)

If you've got a spare 10 mins I wouldn't mind one of those crates:thumbs:

Hi Doug, I actually bought these - I bought a box of a thousand a few years ago.
It took a bit long than 10 minutes:p but when I start another I will make a couple.:thumbs:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Modelling has taken a bit of a back seat to gardening and work the last few weeks so it was good to do a bit over the weekend.

I started by re-roping the NBR open - the sisal string that I used originally just didn't look right. Chris found me something better and I also took Bob Alderman's advice and ran it through block of beeswax which makes it much easier to use and smooths off the "hairiness" of the cord.

IMG_8196_zps9n8iickq.jpg

IMG_8200_zpsegkewoju.jpg

I took the opportunity of shredding a bit more sisal string and colouring it to add to the 'straw' packing. It all looks big in this close up but it's quite fine cord at normal viewing distances.
IMG_8202_zpscpkyjnyq.jpg

Although they haven't been in front of the camera yet I have painted and added transfers to the NBR dropside and another Slaters Salt wagon. Plus I have weathered the wood insides of both the dropside and the NBR Floor Cloth wagon that I built many moons ago. Once I have weathered the outsides I will take photos.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Although I haven't managed any modelling while in Wakefield for what seems to be far too long I did manage a bit more painting and weathering over the weekend. Apart from couplings the NBR Dropside wagon is finished.

It's not clearly visible anymore but I have added a paint date of '19 in the crescent on the sides and weathered it based on photos of NBR 3 and 4 plank wagons in Tatlow.

IMG_8204_zps70doyr0o.jpg

IMG_8206_zpspm51qtua.jpg

IMG_8207_zpsl3v6rcra.jpg

Lastly I added it's load after playing around painting that with some 'wood' coloured paint....

IMG_8210_zpsgozjpd0z.jpg

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Just need some labels or markings on the carcassing of the load. The colour looks rather appropriate for "new-ish or lightly used" timber.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
While I had the paints out I also finished the weathering on the NBR Floor Cloth wagon that I built from a Majestic Models Kit (Now with Chris Basten at Dragon Models).

New-Out99994_zpsm3ut125f.jpg

New-Out99993_zpsrlwcumwh.jpg

The 'floor cloth' rolls are made from coloured light card (file dividers). I just need to add a tarpaulin sheet now to finish it off.

New-Out99992_zpsqajxttdc.jpg

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Although I haven't managed any modelling while in Wakefield for what seems to be far too long I did manage a bit more painting and weathering over the weekend. Apart from couplings the NBR Dropside wagon is finished.

It's not clearly visible anymore but I have added a paint date of '19 in the crescent on the sides and weathered it based on photos of NBR 3 and 4 plank wagons in Tatlow.

Lastly I added it's load after playing around painting that with some 'wood' coloured paint....
Rob,
I forgot I had this print in my small collection. The print has no details on it and I don't know if it has been published. It is of NB four plank dropside number 3490, probably in the mid to late 1920s. It has a paint date of 1920 and shows a well weathered wagon which seems to have had a replacement top plank before grouping. Probably a bit late for you but it could be interesting for others building and finishing these wagons.
NB 4pl 3490.jpg

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
The latest item to pass across the work bench is a Connoisseur Models, Brass/Whitemetal kit of a former GER Sand wagon. I have finished this as a BR example because it's destined for the small adds to raise funds for Telford. I do enjoy building Jim's kits and this is no exception giving about 23 hours of
pleasure to get it to this.

New-Out99999_zpsjkjoqcao.jpg

New-Out99998_zpskpvx2crb.jpg

New-Out99997_zpsjjpos1z4.jpg

New-Out99997%20-%20Copy_zpsb7wtp5ss.jpg
I couldn't resist picking out the eylets in weathered brass.

New-Out99996_zpsroleukrz.jpg

Adrian B.Swain

Hi Rob, Not sure if anyone has told you about the brakegear on your fitted LNER vans in the early posts but you have got the reversing link on the side with 2 vees upside down. Easily done but not so easy to correct Adrian

IMG_0136_zpslvw0qv2t.jpg

IMG_0131_zpsgg7s0pat.jpg