7mm Rob's workbench - Gladiator J6

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
The wind dropped enough for a couple of short bursts of painting outside. This enabled me to get the chassis primed and then top coated.

I also did all the other little bits that I missed when doing the body and tender, fall plate, doors etc.

52268866583_61b28d280c_h.jpg

52268866963_af5ae3a28c_h.jpg

Before risking gumming up the motion I asked Warren Haywood and Tony Geary how they painted inside motion. Tony hand paints his and Warren sprays it. Warren did suggest that since the brief for this is weathered black rather than red to metal black it. Thinking this a good idea I had a go. I gave the chassis a liberal dose of acetone to hopefully remove all the oil then a liberal dose of Birchwood Casey Brass black. It kind of worked, the motion itself looked fine but the insides of the frames and motion plates etc. were quite patchy.

In the end I bit the bullet and lightly sprayed it with black etch primer. Thankfully it all still moves as it should but I did mask it before putting the final coat of the rest of the frames.

52269120999_829669445c_h.jpg

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
In between cutting down the weeds on the railway embankment, I indulged in a little figure painting.

Not something I do very often so I am quite pleased with how the loco crew turned out

52272359304_f950fc36ca_h.jpg

The fireman's shovel is still work in progress

Unfortunately this one looks like they are taking a leak...
52272097106_21cbfef463_h.jpg

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Recently while attempting to finish off all the little details of the J6 I had a bit of a conundrum. While I had fitted the front buffers previously to check that they went through the holes okay (I have had them in the past that haven’t and the hole had needed easing) I hadn’t actually tried to fit them with the body on.

What I found was that the 8BA nuts fouled the strengthening plates on the chassis and that the threads on the actual buffer heads hadn’t quite been threaded deep enough to pull the thicker part of the ram into the buffer stock. I recalled that David Hill of Gladiator had built one of these kits so I emailed David to ask how he had overcome the problem of the nuts fouling the chassis and I also mentioned about the threads not being deep enough. At this point although I could turn some replacements, the easier route would be to just run a die down them to make the thread a little deeper. What I was struggling with was working out the eternal problem of how to hold it securely to thread it.

As I have always found when emailing David, he responded very promptly and advised that he had filed flats on the nuts to clear the strengthening plates and he apologised about the threads and offered to replace the buffer heads. Now by this time I had my thinking head on and had worked out how to hold the existing buffer heads to add a few more threads.

Last night I decided to have a go. I had short stub of 16mm aluminium bar which I drilled 4mm x 5mm deep. Then I parted off a 5mm length and made a slit down one side to allow the centre hole to be squeezed to grip the buffer head.

Sadly, the buffer ram behind the head was 3.8mm and having drilled it 4mm (the nearest sized bit that I had) I found that the aluminium wasn’t quite flexible enough to tighten and grip the ram. I quickly sawed the rest of the way through making two halves these then gripped the ram and a few more threads were quickly added to both of them.

Next was what to do about the 8BA nuts fouling the chassis. I decide to see if I could drill out a 10BA nut and tap it 8BA. The 1.8mm drill bit was either two big or two small to be gripped tightly in the myriad of pin vices that I have so in the end I gripped the drill bit in a spare Jacobs chuck and used that to ease out the hole in the nut. I used my 10BA nut spinner to hold the nut while drilling and tapping to save faffing about trying to hold it squarely in a vice.

52292241670_b62610ccb3_b.jpg

52291753043_94d154b276_b.jpg

52292016489_78083fa1ba_h.jpg

The next small issue was that the tail of the buffer was visible beyond the valence. To overcome this, I took 5mm of each of them and they became a snug fit behind the buffer plank (while still retaining some movement against the spring) and invisible once the body is on the chassis.

52292241575_777ee8f46c_h.jpg

52290775512_5916116d1d_c.jpg

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
An alternative would have been to grip the buffer in a clothes peg which when tightened in a vise should have sufficient grip to allow the extra thread to be cut.
I agree it would had I thought of it. But I wouldn't have been able to try out my new tailstock die holder (which I completely forgot to mention in my post). A bargain at under £8.00 delivered from Chronos.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I haven't posted any images of the finished and weathered J6 as I planned to enter it into the modelling competition at Guildex.

52336072268_22dfa01158_h.jpg

52335835186_54742e0f01_h.jpg

52334878537_15a0f8270f_h.jpg

52336071603_46bf0fe31c_h.jpg

52336131289_52c287df42_h.jpg

52336071338_708beaf210_h.jpg

52336260615_d1fb8bbb16_h.jpg

52336260350_8ed3f526f6_h.jpg

I was really pleased to take third place "Commended" from the judges but was even more pleased and surprised to get the "Runner Up" award from the "Public vote".

The winner of the public vote was the same crane that took first in the rolling stock category, which meant, that in the eyes of the public who voted that the J6 was the best loco in the show.

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Brilliant modelling Rob.
Watching you build through your various Forum reports is the nearest I get to building locos.
I sit with the RTR available models, so I get 0 build enjoyment but plenty of shunting fun.

Great work though Rob.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks Gents,

I have thoroughly enjoyed building it, but due to my house move it was quite protracted and I am glad that it's finished.