4mm Ruabon Junction

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A start has been made on laying Peco Code 100 outside of the shed. Seeing as some of it was on display between the station platforms, I took the trouble to re-space the sleepers to match Peco bullhead track. I slid them along and applied a touch of Loctite to rail fastenings on the outer rail only. The closer spacing's are clearly visible beyond the shed wall.....
WEB Ruabon track 18.jpg

A view after the new track had been weathered. It doesn't look too bad and might be taken for flat-bottom. The bullhead and Code 100 rails are butt-joined, as I could not use rail joiners for obvious reasons . Part of the platform was removed so that the top surface of the cork could be sanded off to allow the deeper Code 100 track to sit lower until rail heads were aligned...
WEB Ruabon track 18B.jpg

Tracks heading off around the loop at long last....
WEB Ruabon track 18C.jpg

The other end of the layout was treated the same with Code 100 beyond the points. I did not re-space these sleepers because much of the track will be under a road bridge. The shed wall had a chunk removed to clear the third track (yard headshunt). The top of the old O gauge arch will be filled in.....
WEB Ruabon track 18D.jpg
A special thanks to PhilH of this forum who kindly loaned me his portable compressor so I could attach my spraygun and weather the track.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Another instance where a camera is invaluable for determining things. Backscenes can make or break a layout, although they usually add something when they are right. The ones I tried a couple of days ago were just too over-powering, so i placed a second order for a design I knew. It needs moving down a few feet beginning from the right then I think it should be okay...

WEB Backscane 1.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Backscene in place this morning. Mountains don't show behind the station in real life, but they do when looking towards Shrewsbury, however, cutting around tree tops demands a lot of time & patience so I left the mountains intact...

WEB Backscene 2.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Track-laying on the outdoor loop has stopped after only a few yards. I was lucky to spot new stock of Peco Code 100 at Hattons last week, but it is already back on pre-order this weekend! Shame I didn't think about rail joiners while I was ordering track. 2020 has been a year of alternating lock-down and sold-out, making modelling a case of patience more than anything else....

WEB Loop 18.jpg

Last edited:

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Very many years ago (probably 60) is was given an old engine that was no good and would not run. It had rods like that one. :(:headbang:
Putting them into a more common position, parallel to the track, fixed it.:)
Regards Allen Morgan

LarryG

Western Thunderer
And now for something different as they say; a bridge has been made for over the station. Nothing goes to waste, as this bridge was at Carrog, then took steriods and went 7mm scale before being reduced once more to 4mm. That's why the thing looks grotty. I should have started from new, but it kept me occupied while sheltering from the oppressive heat. The bridge was completely resprayed and weathered and will be suitably spray-sooted in the morning before taking its place on the layout.

WEB Ruabon bridge 1.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
"Worked" outdoors for past two days. It's the best time to lay track on the outdoor section because the roofing felt is soft and the track lies flat. There has never been double track at this end before...
WEB Ruabon loop 1.jpg

A new double track weather tunnel can be seen, as can our two seagull chicks ...
WEB Ruabon loop 2.jpg

I cocked up when labeling two white wires that carry current across the door to the other side of the shed and ended up with a short circuit. Easily swapped around of course. Even the plungers that carry current to the lifting section worked. WEB Garden loop 2.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
By a stroke of luck, the O gauge bridge built for the previous layout turned up this morning. Not only did it provide stone material to extend and finish off the Ruabon bridge, it reminded me why I gave the 7mm bridge a much lighter stone finish to compensate for the dark corner in which it resides. Resprayed, weathered and finished. Sommat to do on an overcast Sunday.....:)
WEB Ruabon bridge 6.jpg

This shot gives a better idea of how much paler in colour it is outdoors...
WEB Ruabon bridge 6D.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Despite numerous alterations to the track layout, extending tracks around the garden loop and running locos, my enthusiasm for this project has not improved since it started on the Corwen thread. Until I can turn my mind to more positive thoughts, no further posts will appear here for the time being, although I am continuing to follow other posts of course. :)

Deano747

Western Thunderer
i, like many on here, have been following this thread with interest. Hope the Mojo returns soon Larry!

All the best
Rob (Deano)

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Sorry to read of your loss of Mojo Larry. Although I don't come on here very often it's always a thrill to see the developments and stunning photos.

All the best, keep well and stay safe.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I had doubts about starting this layout and when this thread started, my very first words in June were:- Basically, the new 4mm/00 layout has been inspired by Ruabon. A construction of this kind has come at a bad time because I have had no interest whatsoever this year.

It wasn't a loss of mojo so much as a loss of direction after leaving O gauge. Last weekend I reflected on the fact I had spent all summer on something I didn't want. Ruabon wouldn't have gone beyond May had it been a normal summer. I would like to thank everyone on here for their continued support and i am sorry if things look to have come to an abrupt end.

Focalplane: I hadn't realised you had been away from the railway room for so long. Will Birmingham still proceed?

This is the latest. Rather than remove the old cork and sand down everything back to bare baseboards, it was much cheaper to buy a new sheet of marine ply. The hole in the wall will not be needed for the small terminus diorama I have in mind. For those who haven't already guessed, a 4mm thread will not be appropriate.

WEB Fresh start 1.jpg

The original 17" wide framework has been retained but increasingly widens to a maximum of 29" at the bottom end of the shed to 29"......
WEB Fresh start 2.jpg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry

I left France on December 18th (2019) for Christmas and to start the move from Chipping Campden to Hampshire. Why Hampshire? Well, it cut out about the worst 3 hours driving between our two homes. Also we have family in the county and as a Southampton alumni I do have some very ancient links to the county. Example, I saw Chuck Berry and the Moody Blues perform at what was then the Gaumont Cinema in 1966. That does make me ancient!

We sold our two properties in England and Wales using a very efficient agency and then found ourselves homeless when the vendors of a house in Porchester panicked and withdrew. So we rented a small house in Kings Somborne near Stockbridge and weathered out the lockdown. Then we started to look again and found the "Motor House with Bungalow Attached" to the north of Winchester. This has proved to be a most interesting purchase as it has an amazing living area extension which reminds us of Frank Lloyd Wright's work in America. Also the prize winning garden has been allowed to out grow its surroundings for at least five years. So we have our hands full.

The two Rileys (1935 and 1953) have also interrupted thoughts of Gauge O modelling but the younger of the two has become fair weather everyday travel in the area while the French car languishes on foreign soil with out prepaid servicing. The older Riley will no doubt start to occupy my time when I finally do the paperwork.

I started to build coaches and a 47xx kit by Finney7 but somehow this hasn't been enough to keep me on track (literally).

Now we have the opportunity to travel to France and we are going to do it. Which means the Railway Room with House Attached will be visited. Family members have been able to use it as a holiday base and the teenagers, in particular, have finally come to realize that France has something special to offer them. One is embarking on A Level French this year, the other has not had good experiences with her school French teacher, so hands on experiences with our French friends has offered a turning point. Now it's our turn to enjoy the French way of life again.

Our plan is to stop with Riley Club friends along the way in their rather impressive chateau, then complete the journey and be sensible with the French voluntary quarantine rules. For me that is easy - disappear into the Railway Room.

Which finally brings me to Larry's question. Answer - Birmingham Moor Street most certainly will proceed!