4mm Ruabon Junction

simond

Western Thunderer
Well, if you consider the time, money and effort that we invest in our hobby, there is no gain in doing something that doesn’t light the fire. I think both models were exquisite, and I look forward to what comes next.

take your time, take a deep breath, and I hope it gives you the pleasure that it should!

(and if you want help with the wiring...)
Atb
Simon

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Several images have been floating around in my head for some time now including Newcastle Emlyn station, Presteign-Kington goods with a 14xx, Trevor station on the Dee Valley line and Captain Kernow's Bethesda Sidings diorama.

Ideas are pretty sketchy, but it will be GWR on the Welsh borders as usual and entirely fictional.
A small single platform terminus with run-round.
Minor goods facilities with freight boosted by traffic to and from an off-stage brickworks.
A 14xx loco definitely, which means O gauge.

PhilH of this forum has very kindly offered to loan me a DCC Jinty, so I can start from go with DCC sound.

Once track is laid and a name for the layout has come to mind, I can either revert back to a previous 7mm thread (Corwen) or start a new one.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Larry, your new concept sounds rather like my shelved OO gauge layout based on Shipston-on-Stour. You will remember some of the buildings which are back in their boxes. The prototype never had signalling as it was run by a single engine from Moreton-in-Marsh with a line token. This meant very simple operations which I decided to beef up by having a fictional link from Ettington (Junction) on the S&MJR. This would allow more than one train and therefore need signalling. Even a Dukedog pulled commuter service to Birmingham! If I ever resurrect the model I will probably not add the fictional line.

Researching the line was fun (that is something I like to do, not everyone's cup of tea) with few remnants remaining but some useful literature and on line photos.

Locos used included saddle tanks in the early days but freight outlived passenger trains, so a Dean Goods and later a Standard 78xxx were employed on the daily freight run. These were based at Worcester so running more than one loco could be justified depending on availability at the shed.

Bon courage, mon ami!

Paul

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Morning Larry, I have to say, I did enjoy both my Trebudoc, and Bala Town, (August Railway Modeller) Layouts. The Bay and Loco Shed of Bala Town helped with interesting movements as at the end of the day, the Loco was was Shedded ready for the next session. I also found the Bay very useful for the Auto Train, (remember, the one I had from you, that Martin / Gismorail now has at Carrog). I always find Shunting, especially with a Playing card system can be very therapeutic in times of stress.
I wish you well with this new venture Larry, and will be keeping an eye on you. haha.
Stay safe and keep well.
Andy.

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry

So we rented a small house in Kings Somborne near Stockbridge and weathered out the lockdown. Then we started to look again and found the "Motor House with Bungalow Attached" to the north of Winchester. This has proved to be a most interesting purchase as it has an amazing living area extension which reminds us of Frank Lloyd Wright's work in America. Also the prize winning garden has been allowed to out grow its surroundings for at least five years. So we have our hands full.

Hi Paul, not far from me now then Paul.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul and Andy, my branch will be quite a long one from the junction and so have signalling in order to control freight and passenger movements. As yet though I don't know which mainline my branch will leave! Research-research, which I too find interesting.

After removing the old baseboard top, I was amazed when I looked down on the number of feeds I had put in from the bus wires following successive track alterations. Thank goodness for simplification. The mistake I made on the previous O gauge layout was not to convert the points and fit PKL-33 micro-switches, which of course led to unreliability and lots of cursing. Lesson learned.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Long, flowing curves always look good and your station does too. Sorry if you said this earlier and I missed it, but do you know the radius at that point? I am setting out a completely different station in a different scale, but a guide to the radius might be helpful, please.

Mike

Mike W

Western Thunderer
To clarify, I know you mentioned 120in, but is that the main running line through the platforms? It looks more in the pictures.

Mike

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
I'm just doubtful about the future of rtr plastic O gauge let alone the lastability of the steam outline locos.

Several images have been floating around in my head for some time now including Newcastle Emlyn station, Presteign-Kington goods with a 14xx, Trevor station on the Dee Valley line and Captain Kernow's Bethesda Sidings diorama.

Ideas are pretty sketchy, but it will be GWR on the Welsh borders as usual and entirely fictional.
A small single platform terminus with run-round.
Minor goods facilities with freight boosted by traffic to and from an off-stage brickworks.

A 14xx loco definitely, which means O gauge.

Will this be the Dapol 14xx, Larry?

Has your opinion changed then or will the 14xx be from a kit?

Only mention this following the above comment left on the Sheep Chronicles.

Either way, will be interested in how this develops.

Rob.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Wow Larry! Just wow!
I am in awe of your determination to crack on, it makes me look lethargic.
Back to O Gauge then. This time make it so you can sell the layout when its done, I can think of a few who would be interested ;-)

I would agree Cliff, I think Larry is missing a trick not selling all the part complete projects for others to pick up and complete. Seems such a waste for some potentially great projects to just be ripped up.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Will this be the Dapol 14xx, Larry?

Has your opinion changed then or will the 14xx be from a kit?

Only mention this following the above comment left on the Sheep Chronicles.

Either way, will be interested in how this develops.

Rob.
The 14xx's I had no time for were both 4mm scale. I'll be buying a 7mm scale Dapol 14xx, in fact I think I had one at one time.

The end wall was made whole again and a new backscene board fitted. The backscene was too short after the 'tunnel had been cut out so I painted the rest...
WEB Fresh start 3.jpg

Last edited:

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Larry, Will any Track run from the Terminus, outside to the other side of the Shed to form ''U'' and a Fiddle Yard down the Window side?

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Larry, Will any Track run from the Terminus, outside to the other side of the Shed to form ''U'' and a Fiddle Yard down the Window side?

Oh yes Andy. The lifting flap electrics worked fine last week when 4mm double track was laid. I already have a box of O gauge 3' 4" radius Set-Track curves for this job. The loop was partially widened in 2018 to take Set Track, so it is simply a matter of getting out the Peco nails.:) At the moment though, the fiddle yard bench is useful as a storage shelf while I'm working on the scenics.

1/8" cork is going down at the moment using concentrated PVA. A length of removed baseboard has it's the underside sanded smooth for use as a weight on the cork, so cork is being laid one piece at a time. No hurry. A track formation was worked out this afternoon on the bare boards and photos taken so I can put it all back when the cork is set.

Western Thunderer
I think it was the code 75 points mixed with bullhead plain track "wot dun it".

Just surmising and probably wrong...

Tony

Muddysblues

Western Thunderer
Crikey Larry, good job I didn't send those rail joiners for the 4mm project, but they will suffice for the "new 7mm" project, Newcastle Emlyn is a great terminus, and suits a U shaped layout, station on the side in the photograph, out into the garden and back into the FY on the window side.

I reckon you would need at least 3ft width though, to get in 4 sidings, and a run round loop and the station, if you are staying true to the prototype, but to do a Newcastle Emlyn'ish, which I have often thought of, you could do some compression, 3 sidings, the run round etc, compress the station scenery a tad, and change the name slighty "Newcastle Amlyn" ;)

Pob lwc / good luck with Larry, hope it floats your boat this one:thumbs:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Muddyblues, Newcastle Emlyn demands lots of width as you say. It is just one of those locations that appeals to me. But 'freelance' gives me plenty of scope provided I keep within the realms of reality and plausibility. The GWR architecture I prefer means my branch was built in the late 1890's. It is popular with walkers like Llanfyllyn.

Jintyman has been quiet this year.

Muddysblues

Western Thunderer
Hi Muddyblues, Newcastle Emlyn demands lots of width as you say. It is just one of those locations that appeals to me. But 'freelance' gives me plenty of scope provided I keep within the realms of reality and plausibility. The GWR architecture I prefer means my branch was built in the late 1890's. It is popular with walkers like Llanfyllyn.

Jintyman has been quiet this year.

Hi Larry, freelance sounds like a nice idea, I wouldn’t say Jintyman has been quiet, I know he has been very busy, beavering away in his garage ;)

Best regards
Craig