S & M L R 'SEVERN'

J

jazz

Here's my lastest loco running on Pen y Cwm (based on the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Ligh Railway)

All scratch built from brass sheet and a few commercial castings, modified to suit, running on Slater's wheels and a Mashima motor with 40:1 gears. The rear axle is sprung and has pick ups so there is six wheel pick up.

Not sure if it ran in the typical Col Stephens blue livery but does look better than all black. Difficult to tell from the old faded monochrome pictures what livery she had.

This is a Bury bar frame loco and started life as an 0-4-0 tender engine. Converted to an 0-4-2 saddle tank explains the ridiculous spectacle plates hidden behind the saddle tank.

Attachments

• DSC03710.JPG
    DSC03710.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC03710.JPG
    DSC03710.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 110

28ten

Guv'nor
I dont suppose the driver could see much! and it must have been damn cold in the winter :shock:
Nice scratchbuild as well :thumbs:

J

jazz

yes to both observations. Thanks for the comment, I fancied trying my scratchbuilding skills that have been dormant for way too long. I have my sights on a Midland 1F tender loco for the next scratch build as there seems to be no kits available for it.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
That's scratchbuilt..?!?! :shock: Very impressive :bowdown: ... and some people thought the hand-painted wasp stripes on my Class 14 looked good... :rolleyes: :oops: ;)

J

jazz

Phill Dyson said:
Lovely scratch build Jazz :bowdown: ,can I ask what method did you use to spring the rear axle?
Phill :wave:

On that loco I used a spare pair of Slater's sprung hornblocks but did not use the fiddly springs. Instead I uded my usual piano wire method pressing down on the bush.

This photo will show you the idea on this A2 Peppercorn tender I have just started. The axle bush holes are elongated to allow approx 2 mm up and down from the centre line. The lead/trailing axle must only have downwards movement only. The pressure on the springing is very easily adjusted to match the weight of the model.

On a six coupled loco I have the lead axle sprung with downward movement only, the centre axle with up & down movement and the rear axle solid with the motor attached.

[attachment=0:he9nfjbg]DSC03734.JPG[/attachment:he9nfjbg]

Attachments

• DSC03734.JPG
    DSC03734.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC03734.JPG
    DSC03734.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 90

28ten

Guv'nor
I would second what Jazz says about the slaters springs, piano wire is much easier to control. I never use coil springs anymore

J

jazz

Mentioning the A2 tender, this is the progress on that.

The chassis when together very easy and only took a couple of hours yesterday afternoon. The outer axles are rigid with the centre pair sprung.

[attachment=1:10z104uj]DSC03728.JPG[/attachment:10z104uj]

[attachment=0:10z104uj]DSC03729.JPG[/attachment:10z104uj]

Today was spent on the body, this has not been as quick as the chassis but no problems encountered, just a bit time consuming. A lot of hidden work inside the tender. A very well desingned kit.

[attachment=2:10z104uj]DSC03735.JPG[/attachment:10z104uj]

Attachments

• DSC03735.JPG
    DSC03735.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC03728.JPG
    DSC03728.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC03729.JPG
    DSC03729.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC03735.JPG
    DSC03735.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC03728.JPG
    DSC03728.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC03729.JPG
    DSC03729.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 80

28ten

Guv'nor
Is that the David Andrews kit? I built his first ever kit the 42xx, about twenty something years ago. Im guessing the tender rivets are half etched?

J

jazz

28ten said:
Is that the David Andrews kit? I built his first ever kit the 42xx, about twenty something years ago. Im guessing the tender rivets are half etched?

Correct on both counts. Is it really 20 years ago, my, how time flies.

28ten

Guv'nor
jazz said:
[quote=""28ten"":2nusr5ig]Is that the David Andrews kit? I built his first ever kit the 42xx, about twenty something years ago. Im guessing the tender rivets are half etched?

Correct on both counts. Is it really 20 years ago, my, how time flies.[/quote:2nusr5ig]
I have a feeling I bought it when 'Telford' was at Bletchley if you see what I mean :lol: maybe it was 1990?

J

jazz

Not sure when It moved from Bletchley but I originally joined the Guild some time in the late 1980's, dropped out ten years ago to live in the States and rejoined the Guild four years ago. I never went to Bletchley, always Telford. BUT I cannot remember which year I started the annual trip there, (not counting the six years in the US)

SO, I guess 1990 could be about right.

J

jazz

The A2 tender is almost ready, just buffer & axle box castings to add. Two and a half days to build the tender, I somehow think the business of the loco end will take a bit longer!

[attachment=1:32lkd5cy]DSC03740.JPG[/attachment:32lkd5cy]

[attachment=0:32lkd5cy]DSC03739.JPG[/attachment:32lkd5cy]

Attachments

• DSC03740.JPG
    DSC03740.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC03739.JPG
    DSC03739.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC03740.JPG
    DSC03740.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC03739.JPG
    DSC03739.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 47

28ten

Guv'nor
That looks very neat, are the axleboxes being left off until after lining?
I suppose the loco will take a bit longer with all the valve gear! Is the gear forked or just riveted?

J

jazz

28ten said:
That looks very neat, are the axleboxes being left off until after lining?
I suppose the loco will take a bit longer with all the valve gear! Is the gear forked or just riveted?

No, Barry, the castings are now fitted. (Geoffs painter manages OK)

The valve gear etches are to be laminated and will mke for forked ends.

T

Tinsnips

Hello , As a keen scratchbuiler myself would just like to say how very impressive your model of Severn is. I particularly like the round section coupling rods.
Quite difficult to make I imagine. A most impressive model and so nice to see something different. What with RTR and kits the O gauge modelling world is starting to get a bit to repetitive.
regards
Graham Powell