Scale 7 Open day Saturday October 8th 2011

Andrew Campbell

Western Thunderer
The S7 West Country Group's open day is at Mark Village Hall on Saturday 8th October 2011. Doors open 10.00. Ample free parking on-site.

All last year's traders have all agreed to come again; Shedmaster/Laurie Griffin, Exactoscale, ZTC, CPL Products, Perfect Miniatures and the S7 Stores. Our new oval test track (21ft 6in x 17ft 6in) will be operating in both conventional DC and DCC modes. (We finished wiring it and ran stock on it for the first time yesterday!)  Sorry - it only caters for S7 stock. This is also the first outing for Eric Hines' 21' long S7  "Hemyock" layout.

Laurie Griffin has very kindly agreed to give this year’s talk, on “Model Engineering” and Robert Wigley will give an informal introduction to Autosketch. David Nicholson and Alan Benson will be demonstrating track building. Tony Hill will be available to autograph copies of his new book.

All very welcome, not just S7 Group members. The entry fee is £5, but free for S7 members who bring a model along with them. Unlimited tea, coffee and a ploughman’s lunch will be available for £6 provided you let me know in advance. Email or ring on 01373 839089.

Directions to Mark from M5 junction 22 are available on the Scale Seven Group website http://www.scaleseven.org.uk/S7joiningin.html

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi Andrew...

Looking forward to giving the engines a good run this time.. Don't let Evan load the car on his own this time... :)) :headbang:

JB.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
I'll see you both there and will be bringing the 37 with me.  I'm quite looking forward to it, especially the model engineering talk as that's where I mostly seem to be headed these days!

phileakins

Western Thunderer
Oh ...... BUM!!

Why is it that two must do events occur on the same day in different parts of the country at the same time?

I can either come to Mark - or go to a must attend AGM in London.

No choice - enjoy yourselves folks and if someone could tell Mr Nicholson I've got a plan for the 33 challenge.........

Phil

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
phileakins said:
No choice - enjoy yourselves folks and if someone could tell Mr Nicholson I've got a plan for the 33 challenge.........
Is that the same one as a couple of years ago?  ;) ;D  (I've no room to talk, the EM gauge layout I was talking about at the same time is not even half finished!)

Col - Thanks, look forward to meeting you.

phileakins

Western Thunderer
Pugsley said:
Is that the same one as a couple of years ago?  ;) ;D  (I've no room to talk, the EM gauge layout I was talking about at the same time is not even half finished!)

No, that one had all the pointwork and most of the connecting track built, plus two of three baseboards done by this time last year, when ..... the darn builder told me that I couldn't have that wall out.  It'll still fit the railway room, without the fiddle yard, so it's been adjourned. Anyway it was more than 33 sq ft.

I did post some pics of the track on 'the other place'.

It's amazing how having that sort of size constraint concentrates the mind.  I don't think I'll go with the three feet long by eleven feet deep option though.  :D

Phil

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I have the perfect idea for the '33' challenge, but the problem is finding somewhere to build it in a 1.5 bedroom flat..  :headbang:

JB.

phileakins

Western Thunderer
Scale7JB said:
I have the perfect idea for the '33' challenge, but the problem is finding somewhere to build it in a 1.5 bedroom flat..  :headbang:
JB.

I seem to recall an article in an old copy of RM describing an ingenious device made out of old bicycle wheels and several lengths of knotted string by which the furniture in the room could be made to levitate to the ceiling, so leaving the floor clear for the railway. At least I think that's the way round it was.

Phil

PS If you do try this, please remember I am destitute and not worth suing!

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
phileakins said:
No, that one had all the pointwork and most of the connecting track built, plus two of three baseboards done by this time last year, when ..... the darn builder told me that I couldn't have that wall out.
That's rather inconvenient!  Any chance of a fiddleyard in the next room and boring a tunnel through the wall?  ;D

phileakins said:
I did post some pics of the track on 'the other place'.
Sorry, i completely missed those, I'll try and find them later.

phileakins

Western Thunderer
Pugsley said:
That's rather inconvenient!  Any chance of a fiddleyard in the next room and boring a tunnel through the wall?  ;D
Sorry, i completely missed those, I'll try and find them later.

Nahh - unfortunately boring through the wall and making room for the fiddleyard meant the prospect of next door's front hall arriving in my railway room!  I did suggest a couple of alternatives which resulted in the builders looking at each other with the eye roll and the 'tch' sound - so I left it, well, actually I was dragged away by Mrs PE who wanted to know how much extra I was spending!  I've got 13ft 9 in a straight line, but who says a layout should be straight -  ;) Even in S7.

Its' presently occupied by 'Wadebridge (1860's) so I've got something to play with.

Pugs, the link you need is http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/26123-7mm-pointwork/page__fromsearch__1.

Phil