Scale7 JB Workbench.

28ten

Guv'nor
Jordan said:
[quote=""Pint of Adnams"":stpfhp01][quote=""Scale7JB"":stpfhp01] Are you at WMHQ tomorrow?
and No - but if you were at WMHQ today no doubt you took the opportunity to check PJH's 'club' copy? If not let me know...[/quote:stpfhp01]
Blimey - the Scale7-ers are talking in Code, now..!!
anim_05.gif
:shock: :scratch:[/quote:stpfhp01]
I havent a clue, its an Great Eastern thing :D

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi all...

Oh no coding, just the abbreviation for West Mersea Headquaters.. Had the Wednesday meeting today, and ran the new extension piece for the first time...

Attachments

• IMG_0344sm.jpg
    IMG_0344sm.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0346sm.jpg
    IMG_0346sm.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0349sm.jpg
    IMG_0349sm.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 119

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
That looks like it is coming on pretty well  :thumbs:  it there a track plan anywhere?

There isn't too much available at the moment in terms of rack plans.. Well there are track plans, but nothing that I can put my hands on.. All we really have so far is that which Buckjumper posted on the 'other' forum.. On from that is the extension that you see above, and then into the next room with a further curve and a 6ft long traverser with loco release etc..

Attachments

• 41_wmplan_1.jpg
    41_wmplan_1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 97

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi Pint, I'm not entirely sure that Peter has a copy... I asked him a while back if he had one, and he said he would get one in... and I'm sure that if there was one, he would have sold it to me.. :laugh:

I did find some photos in other books though, so I should have all the info I need for a little while.. :thumbs:

Did you receive my e-mail?

JB.

Pint of Adnams

Hi JB,

Have you decided which actual loco you are modelling yet? Clearly it's either the prototype 9000 or a Darlington-built engine, and presumably one of the early ones (9001/2/3) that wore LNER livery albeit in early 1948 and so would not appear amiss on the WM?

Reading the captions in Yeadon (always an excellent source of useful additional information) there are a number of features and fittings unique to 9000. There is a good number of photos of 9000, both in ex-works appearance and in service, plus one at Stratford with the driving wheels dropped out whilst leaky tanks were being repaired (a problem suffered by a number of the class it appears). If you still would like these additional details let me know, and ideally for which loco...

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Sorry to add to the questions here... :oops:

Regarding this picture;
file.php

What radius curves are those tracks? They look quite generous, but in terms of S7, how tight is that, compared to standard O ..? I think what I'm getting at is what's considered "minimum" radius in S7 ?

Pint of Adnams

Hi Jordan,

The curves are generous because the boards form an outside link between the main layout and the workshop where 'Marks Tey' will be, along with shed facilities and stuff.

Attachments

• L1020260 - 25%.JPG
    L1020260 - 25%.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 82
  • L1020257 - 25%.JPG
    L1020257 - 25%.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 83

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Pint of Adnams said:
As to what is considered the minimum radius for S7, the answer is pretty much the same as for any other scale - the one that your locos and stock will negotiate without any problems.
Yes, of course..! ( D'oh!! :oops: )

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Pint of Adnams said:
Hi JB,

Have you decided which actual loco you are modelling yet? Clearly it's either the prototype 9000 or a Darlington-built engine, and presumably one of the early ones (9001/2/3) that wore LNER livery albeit in early 1948 and so would not appear amiss on the WM?

Hi Pint, yes this will be No.9000 as pretty much in the picture on page 4 of this thread that Buckjumper sent to me.

Jordan said:
What radius curves are those tracks? They look quite generous, but in terms of S7, how tight is that, compared to standard O ..? I think what I'm getting at is what's considered "minimum" radius in S7 ?

Hi Jordan, those lines of pway that have been laid on the extension are 9ft radius on the inner line, and then obviously getting larger as you move out. Pint has a pretty good point when he says about the tightest radius being dependent on your loco's, but I think on West Mersea, Peter Hunt is trying to keep curves at around 8ft minimum (I think).. but the 9ft curve of the extension would be very tight for the real thing... all of those curves should really have a checkrail on !!

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I was at a rally driving course near Llandrindod Wells on sunday and stayed overnight..

On the way back today I popped into Highley on the Severn Valley Railway just to have a little snoop around, and they had a 'Mickey Mouse' running today (I'm pretty sure that's how they were affectionately known by the enginemen..) I rather like it... Might I one day be building very late BR engines along with GW and GE ??  :headbang:

Attachments

• IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 65

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Scale7JB said:
I was at a rally driving course near Llandrindod Wells on sunday and stayed overnight..

On the way back today I popped into Highley on the Severn Valley Railway just to have a little snoop around, and they had a 'Mickey Mouse' running today (I'm pretty sure that's how they were affectionately known by the enginemen..) I rather like it... Might I one day be building very late BR engines along with GW and GE ??  :headbang:

JB.

What? Highley? And you didn't pop in to say hello?

It is a Flying Pig - the SVR workshop made a pink flying pig to go on the top lamp bracket. There was a switch on the pig and the wings were motorised, so flapped up and down. It was hilarious. Naturally, some people didn't see the funny side...

Attachments

• Flying Pig.jpg
    Flying Pig.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 51

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Ahhh, yes sorry guys, maybe it was a flying pig that I remember reading about in Terry Essery's book.. Appologies..

I'm afraid there are far more kits that I would like to build before I get to anything that MOK are producing at the moment.. and to be honest, I really feel that anything that I build in future might be scratch built... I'm constantly paranoid about parts not being the right size in kits now, and spend more time checking everything that I do building..

Are you near Highley then Richard ? I must admit, I did think about who I could invade on my journey out west, but it was all such a last minute thing that I didn't get the chance to see who was about.. A real shame as I would still love to see the layout !!

I also went into the new Engine House whilst I was up there.. quite interesting. I probably looked a bit strange poking my head under boilers and into pony trucks to have a closer look at things.. I must come up for a ride on the SVR at some point, maybe on Telford weekend..

JB.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Scale7JB said:
I also went into the new Engine House whilst I was up there.. quite interesting. I probably looked a bit strange poking my head under boilers and into pony trucks to have a closer look at things..
JB.
One part of the SVR I haven't looked at yet... I gather it costs a bit to get in, doesn't it..? :?
/Scrooge mode Off