Scale7 JB Workbench.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
JB,

Close up shots of the trip cocks seem as common as rocking horse manure but this might be enough to make a start.
1959 - J15 at Stratford..

I'm sure I've seen a drawing somewhere !...might be worth asking Pete Insole, he may have a better photo.

The trip cock on the other side would be on the tender
Col.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
JB,

Close up shots of the trip cocks seem as common as rocking horse manure but this might be enough to make a start.
1959 - J15 at Stratford..

I'm sure I've seen a drawing somewhere !...might be worth asking Pete Insole, he may have a better photo.

The trip cock on the other side would be on the tender
Col.

Thanks mate, I'll try and blow it up on the big screen.

In other requests, and can't believe I'm asking this. Seems like such a newbie modeller question. What is the current and acceptable fashion for attaching whitemetal domes and chimneys. I have been happy to solder them in the past, however one does tend to lose the fine edge of casting after enough heat is applied to get it to stay in place.

JB.

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
JB

Arun Sharma had some trip cock castings done. I may have a sample he kindly gave me, or I may have already given them to Bob for his J15. I can't remember. Must be an age thing. Worth asking Arun anyway.

John

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Thanks mate, I'll try and blow it up on the big screen.

In other requests, and can't believe I'm asking this. Seems like such a newbie modeller question. What is the current and acceptable fashion for attaching whitemetal domes and chimneys. I have been happy to solder them in the past, however one does tend to lose the fine edge of casting after enough heat is applied to get it to stay in place.

JB.

JB,
Tin the brass or nickel first then solder on the white metal dome with low melt ( 70 degree ) solder. I use a adjustable temp 50 watt Antex turned right down.
If the solder has lost the fine edge of the casting it's a case of clean up with scrapers etc.
Col.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Well that's pretty much it for the time being.

I just need to make 3 split axles, and short out the tender wheels and before paint, test clearances on a layout for the footplate and 2 fall plates, and I won't be able to do that for a while as I only have a few yards of straight track at home.

It needs a good clean, and may even get the big camera out for a couple of shots. Oh and the wheels need to be reprofiled to S7 of course.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I forgot I do have some other in progress shots that I'll stick up here shortly.

Overall pretty happy with it.

If anyone wants to buy an S7 J15 I could be tempted to part with it in these tricky times.

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Some other in progress shots.

In the last lock-ins of the engine a front cowling was missing from the vacuum pipe on the balance and something I really wanted to model.

Originally I'd made the pipe out of something a bit too chunky so I remade it with something a little finer.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

There was so much empty space under the cylinders, I thought best to put something in there to represent the base of the cylinders and the drain cocks. One of those jobs that took less time to do than think about.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
One of the prominent details on the side of the boiler foundation ring is the blowdown valve. Knocked up from a clack valve casting and a bit of tube.image.jpegimage.jpeg
A couple of can shots showing all the gubbins. I was hoping to keep the backhead seperate for painting but it had to be soldered in due to the proximity of the whistle valve on the front cab sheet. Complete with tarpaulin hooks and roof brackets for the front window frames. I've only just noticed a big blob of solder on the middle hook so that'll get cleaned up, and a slightly raised left hand tool box lid.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I ran out of invisible solder in there.

JB.