Prototype Shades of the Southern: Trains no more

AJC

Western Thunderer
Wow! Those standard coaches in the middle really highlight the narrowness of the Hastings sets!

Don’t they just! I’ve missed the booked steam that’s been this way, and this is probably more of a niche taste, I’m pleased that I made the effort (and I had a little whistle hello for my trouble, which was nice).

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
Shuttling back and forth from my in-laws in Bromley, a reminder of the Southern Region at Bromley South. I suppose the Networkers are strictly NSE, but in real terms with their four and two car formations and lack of through corridors, they’re EPBs in concept (a step backwards from the 455s in some respects: being able to get down the train has value). I reckon this like for likeness was the greatest flaw (not as bad as the Turbos where two or three cars without corridors was a grave error - well, along with not wiring to Reading a generation back). I wonder how much longer they’ll be around?

8FD2AB65-186A-439F-80D4-D4AED724977C.jpeg

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
More proper Southern at Tonbridge earlier with a pair of 73s (JBs) on de-icing work as the eldest and I were waiting for the train home.

EAEA5E4F-221D-44B4-8EBF-1F5E3DA1B39A.jpeg

They rather caught me by surprise, gliding in to platform 1.

2F87B92E-69E8-4B3A-A0AB-C029014FBC87.jpeg

F28F2AA2-26DF-4B89-8000-F7568BEB3795.jpeg

Nice to see that, after all this time, rolling the blinds to red is still the done thing. Proper.

E0ABD0CC-40FC-459A-B350-79668E250E0E.jpeg

Adam

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
At least they are on home territory!

Curious how the buffers have been clipped on the de-icing trailers. Would this be to allow pipes/hoses to be laid between the vehicles without any danger of being rubbed and/or becoming trapped?

Reactions: AJC

AJC

Western Thunderer
At least they are on home territory!

Curious how the buffers have been clipped on the de-icing trailers. Would this be to allow pipes/hoses to be laid between the vehicles without any danger of being rubbed and/or becoming trapped?

They’re actually made that asymmetrical shape - possibly to guard against over-riding?

Anyway, we’ve been away this week, so a couple from what is, strictly, WR territory, but I only ever saw 33s on Waterloo boat trains down here so it counts.

Weymouth Quay.

DE876A13-0E74-45FF-9F41-875908D085AA.jpeg

Signage needs an update, perhaps.

75A4D16D-356E-467F-B145-99C2E2C3965E.jpeg

Adam

Last edited: