Shapeways Bankrupt? Rescue bid rejected

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Hello
I thought this might be of interest. I’ve toyed with the idea of getting stuff from them, but the additional charges made it prohibitive. The rise of DIY printing…

Cheers

Jan

simond

Western Thunderer
“…Moreover, financial disclosures revealed Shapeways’ Q3 2023 revenue of just $8.4 million, gross profit of $3.4 million, and a staggering net loss of $19.4 million, signaling a 198.5% increase from Q3 2022. …”

”staggering“ sums it up.

I'm struggling to imagine how such a transition is possible in any normal company.

djparkins

Western Thunderer
“…Moreover, financial disclosures revealed Shapeways’ Q3 2023 revenue of just $8.4 million, gross profit of $3.4 million, and a staggering net loss of $19.4 million, signaling a 198.5% increase from Q3 2022. …”

”staggering“ sums it up.

I'm struggling to imagine how such a transition is possible in any normal company.

Absolutely - the mind boggles. I continually I wonder how various companies conduct themselves to get into the messes they do.

From the smallest to the largest businesses there are enough analytics in the accounting packages we use [you gotta use them now to even submit your VAT return!] that you can see instantly if smoething is not as it should be. I've never understood the concept that if something is getting progessively worse quarter on quarter, it can improved if you just keep doing the same thing.

Mind you, even in our little business things can go wrong - usually if my wife and her daughters decide they are going on a shopping trip. Words that fill me with dread! That's when I know I'll have to buckle down and release another kit!!!

DJP/MMP et al

DavidB

Western Thunderer
Mind you, even in our little business things can go wrong - usually if my wife and her daughters decide they are going on a shopping trip. Words that fill me with dread! That's when I know I'll have to buckle down and release another kit!!!
I have never been in business but I sympathise. If I take my wife to the supermarket, it invariably costs more than if I go on my own. Electricity consumption is noticeably lower when she goes away for a few days.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Most of the prints I bought from Shapeways were unusable and upon enquiry I found one designer to be in denial of making any mistakes. Prints were not to scale, and either crumbled like eggshells or had a surface like coarse sandpaper. I stopped using Shapeways, they put me off 3D print technology for at least five years. I doubt I am alone.

The good thing is, individual modellers and small modelling companies do it better.

DougT

Western Thunderer
Interesting. I almost pressed the purchase button on a couple of wagons from BR Blue on Shapeways last night but something stopped me… must admit that I haven’t any bad experiences of shapeways printed products and the wagons from Simon at BR Blue are excellent.

simond

Western Thunderer
Shapeways did a lot more than the kind of 3DP than we do at home, eg laser sintered metals and other powder techniques, and they must have done a lot of it, if they were turning over $8.4M per quarter!

but it takes some particular magic to turn $3.4M profit into $19.4M loss - the article is not at all clear on the periods in question but it does appear that they were turning over $30+M per annum. It's a bit troubling if they were spending $50M to do it...

What was it Mr Mickawber said about money and end of the month?