Sheep blokes weathering.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Thanks Jonte.

Here is a view of an ex - Midland Rly. 3F at Sheep Lane.

Rob View attachment 96045

Painstakingly wonderful, Rob (is that even a valid phrase?).

The subtle shades of weathered cast iron and dulled tones of the boiler are expertly replicated here and have convinced me that weathering with powders is indeed the way forward - especially in the smaller scales (although I’m still a fan of the dry-brush technique).

With a keen interest in N.American railroad modelling, it was intriguing to learn a couple of years ago, that an increasing number of of experts in the weathering field have begun to shy away from the use of an airbrush as their primary ‘go-to’ tool, as it tends to leave a ‘bloom’ that ruins the effect. Once pointed out, the eye just can’t help noticing it and it’s amazing how much it ruins the illusion when revisiting examples once considered exemplary. Without wishing to offend any well known exponents of the art, I think it safe to say that best examples of this are the ‘weathered’ forms of RTR offered for sale by manufacturers who sacrifice authenticity in the interests of time-saving. I think I’ll leave it there.

As the saying goes: ‘you can’t rush perfection’, as this latest e.g. of your work bears out.

Thanks for sharing.

Jonte

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning Jonte.

Very kind of you to say so.

I don't possess an airbrush hence why I tried the powders. They work for me and my use of them constantly evolves. I do use paint on occasion, mainly as a foundation for the powders but never on locos where I rely on powders only.

The powders provide the texture which is added to when the sealing coat of matt varnish is applied from an aerosol. This must be a light coat, a dusting. Too wet and the colours are lost and we start again. Warming the can, slightly, helps and will prevent any possibility of there being any blooming. As you can perhaps work out, there have been a few errors along the way ( and no doubt there will be a few more!!)

I look at it this way. 2017-01-18 12.14.30.jpg 2016-09-07 06.41.23.jpg 20180724_093823.jpg 20180724_215216.jpg 20180808_100734.jpg 20180403_141502.jpg 20180610_225601.jpg The weathering on a real steam loco is basically an application of grime/dust which in essence is what powders are. Add a few streaks to represent dribbly/spilt liquids and away you go.

Once the varnish is applied then some areas can be polished using a soft brush and this will really cause the plastic to start looking like burnished metal.

I find it all very thought provoking and totally lose myself in the moment. Weathering models is a very subjective subject. What works for me may not work for others but I encourage anyone to have a go but be prepared for the odd error or two.......

Rob.

Attachments

• 20180403_231036.jpg
    20180403_231036.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Just noticed the L&SWR BEWARE OF TRAINS sign.

I seen photos of the SR in the London area the SR painted over the characters L, & and W to leave SR!

simond

Western Thunderer
It is striking how unobtrusive the TL coupler is.

Enjoying the weathering info. I must try a little harder, or perhaps, simply try more frequently!

Best
Simon

Paul Cambridge

Western Thunderer
I’ll look forward to reading it, Rob.

You’ve really captured the look of the M7s in later life, too.

Jonte

I assume the Southern did the same with LB&SCR, SECR and SER cast signs. What they did with any lingering LCDR ones is another matter......

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Just noticed the L&SWR BEWARE OF TRAINS sign.

I seen photos of the SR in the London area the SR painted over the characters L, & and W to leave SR!

I agree regards the painting of the letters, Dave. Most of the photos above are on Sheep Lane, my shunting plank based on S&DJR practice in the 1950s.

Even by the 1960s there was still evidence of the pre-grouping joint ownership of the S&D. Signage was in situ from the Midland, London South Western as well as the Somerset and Dorset itself. I therefore made a conscious decision to nod towards this and therefore paint the full lettering on the sign. In doing so I hope I quietly draw attention to the combination of Southern infrastructure and mainly Midland motive power that was so indicative of the dear old S&D.

Perhaps the below photo illustrates matters better.

Rob. 2017-06-08 18.20.56.jpg

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
sealed with Humbrol acrylic powders when done.
Would that be the clear, liquid form of acrylic powders that comes in a can and issues forth in a kind of liquid form when you press the little nozzle at the top?

And anyway, why haven't I found this superb thread earlier?

I am seriously beginning to doubt why I should bother with an airbrush for weathering myself.

Horrocksford.

AndyS

It is striking how unobtrusive the TL coupler is.

Enjoying the weathering info. I must try a little harder, or perhaps, simply try more frequently!

Best
Simon

Rob & Simon,

I wasn't going to mention couplings as it caused such a furore over on RMWeb.

Only joking! :p

Looks good as ever.

AndyS (aka Leopardml2341 in the other place)

Prairie Tank

Western Thunderer
Having looked (read ogled) over these photo's several times, I have come to the conclusion that Sheep Bloke is a fraud who is simply posting photo's of the real thing.

The only other explanation is that he is flippen brilliant!!!!

Rob, you have masterful talent sir.

John :)

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Rob & Simon,

I wasn't going to mention couplings as it caused such a furore over on RMWeb.

Only joking! :p

Looks good as ever.

AndyS (aka Leopardml2341 in the other place)

Good morning Andy.

Thank you and yes it did. Stuff like that was part of the reason I gravitated here. Too many 'my way is the only way' opinionated buffoons.

Welcome.

Having looked (read ogled) over these photo's several times, I have come to the conclusion that Sheep Bloke is a fraud who is simply posting photo's of the real thing.

The only other explanation is that he is flippen brilliant!!!!

Rob, you have masterful talent sir.

John :)

Thanks John, you are very kind. I simply dabble until it looks right to me. As I have mentioned earlier, weathering is very subjective and I find other styles a bit 'heavy' hence I use little paint preferring the qualities of powders.

I will continue to post new images as and when I do new items.

With the next project just getting going this will be predominantly minerals in keeping with a late 1960s/early 70s colliery 'cameo'.

Stand by for rust..........

Rob