Simon's workbench

Simon

Flying Squad
My track gauge is as described by Simon but without the extra washer. I am ashamed to say (having a lathe) that it was made for me, and I am further ashamed to admit that I don't know who made it for me, either Simon D or my friend Brian Clarke.

When I last spoke to Ken Cottle, he had a set of gauges for ScaleOne32 or two going spare. I think Simon  has his contact details (if you don't already) definitely worth contacting I should think.

Simon

S

Simon Dunkley

Simon said:
My track gauge is as described by Simon but without the extra washer. I am ashamed to say (having a lathe) that it was made for me, and I am further ashamed to admit that I don't know who made it for me, either Simon D or my friend Brian Clarke.
The washer was there when I gave you the track gauge...
facepalm.jpg

Simon

Flying Squad
Thought it rang a vague bell :-[ :-[ :-[

Well, it's very handy, even without its washer!!

Thanks again.

Having cooked curry, washed up, got H&C to bed, I'm too blitzed to do any more trackwork, off for a read and sleep I think.

Might try and get up early to fix next rail in place :wave:

Simon

G

Graham Powell

You could make a track gauge using threaded rod, nuts and washers. I just put a nut on a piece followed by washers of different sizes to slot over one rail.
Then using vernier set similar at the other end to gauge. Once it was set up I held it all in place with some araldite. Not very sophisticated but it worked. I did turn up a gauge out of hexagonal brass for the broad gauge though.
rgds
Graham Powell :wave: :thumbs:

S

Simon Dunkley

Graham Powell said:
You could make a track gauge using threaded rod, nuts and washers. I just put a nut on a piece followed by washers of different sizes to slot over one rail.
Then using vernier set similar at the other end to gauge. Once it was set up I held it all in place with some araldite. Not very sophisticated but it worked. I did turn up a gauge out of hexagonal brass for the broad gauge though.
rgds
Graham Powell :wave: :thumbs:
You really should have joined SSMRS, you know: that's how our gauges are made!

Simon

Flying Squad
Many thanks to Simon D for sending me plans for the next two turnouts.

In the meantime (goat alert!) I have started "revisiting" my Manning Wardle kit (Old Originals, John Dale, 1/32, lovely, clever, unfinished :-[)

I have corrected one or two "deviations" (self inflicted) on the chassis and intend to get some more done. I will post progress here, previous efforts were well documented on Finescale Fred but were somewhat invalidated when the host lost all the pictures :headbang:

I'm feeling all motivated :thumbs:

Simon

Flying Squad
Having hopefully sorted the chassis errors but unable to find my Slaters allen key for attaching wheels to axles, I decided to revisit the bodywork.

Previously, I have got as far as two basic assemblies of smokebox to firebox unit and footplate. After a bit of familiarisation and cleaning up of slightly tarnished bits I started by assembling the reverser quadrant and lever and soldering to the firebox wrapper side as per instructions. Fiddly, but I got there in the end. I then soldered the smokebox door backing plate on (I will glue the smokebox door casting on later) and feeling brave attempted to solder the posh safety valve cover to the smokebox top. By means of a bit of tinning on the bottom of the casting and then holding the boiler etc on top of the casting held upside down in a vice, I got a quite good first fix. I then de-attached it as I tried to improve its "fit" to the firebox top. Afer repeating the first process and using a some lower melting point solder, I up ended it and have got a quite good result by holding the casting down with a piece of wood and applying heat.

I then decided to attach the two sub assemblies together which was actually quite straightforward, owing to good design of the kit where soldering is required. By two o'clock last night and before cleaning up this was the result.

Attachments

• Manning1.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 16

Simon

Flying Squad
One of the out of parallels needed doing, after a lot of fiddling the boiler is now completely parallel with the footplate. It would have been so much easier to have got it right first time :headbang:

I also fitted the leading springs above the footplate and started making up the bunker and cab side sheets, I am building the earlier "wrap over" cab.

Attachments

• MWpar.jpg
    MWpar.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 21

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Nice bit of work Simon, I don't think John will believe it  ;D
I admire your willpower, two in the morning is a very late finish, way too cold around these parts to consider that!
Steve

Simon

Flying Squad
Steve Cook said:
Nice bit of work Simon, I don't think John will believe it  ;D
I admire your willpower, two in the morning is a very late finish, way too cold around these parts to consider that!
Steve

It was one of those "I've started, so I'll finish" situations, although radio 7 plus the combined heat of me, a 60w soldering iron and four incandescent(sp?) lights in my insulated shed made the whole thing quite cosy.

All that said I'm off to bed with a book now, just have to turf Dusty* off my lap first :eek:

* Dusty the cat

Simon

Flying Squad
Bit of multi tasking the the shed last night :eek:

I made up the bunker for the Manning Wardle. In order to save John's lovely etch of the full cab for a future project (who am I kidding?) I cut out a new bunker front from scrap brass sheet.

Attachments

• Bunker.jpg
    Bunker.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 19

John D

Western Thunderer
I mad a pigs ear of assembling and fixing the sandboxes inside the bunker

HOW many more times do I have to tell you.............READ THE INSTRUCTIONS  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

.........................  you're just a very naughty boy !! :D

P.S. Any sign of the LNWR waggin book yet??

Simon

Flying Squad
John D said:
  HOW many more times do I have to tell you.............READ THE INSTRUCTIONS  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

.........................  you're just a very naughty boy !! :D

P.S. Any sign of the LNWR waggin book yet??

Book any day apparently, I have a small pile on order...

Bunkerwise, I went back to the shed and titivated it with a bead along the edge of the bunker front and also a strip of brass soldered around my cut out "coal hole".

One question, in "real life" how was the reversing rod attached to the reversing lever? The next stage (I think) is to attach the two cab side sheets, I am hoping to put these on before attending to all the pipework, on which note where (in real life) did the end of the ejector pipe go once it arrived in the cab?

Also, in real life, were the cab side sheets fitted to the firebox sides or did they go "straight down" with a gap at the bottom, if you see what I mean?

So many questions - shows I'm keen though :D

John D

Western Thunderer
The reverse rod pivots on to the lever just above where the lever attaches to the footplate, if you see what I mean, the cab side sheets go straight down.

Hope your 'small pile' isn't too painful  ;).....sorry....I'll get me coat...again

Simon

Flying Squad
More news from the bodger!

First off, wagon book has arrived - its been done as a paperback which means it doesn't match vol 1, but it has those fantastic tarpaulin roofed vans in it :drool: - enough to make a chap come over all pre-grouping...

After I'd iced my possible DMU cab, I thought I'd try and put the various bunkery bits of the Manning Wardle together. For once it was all quite straightforward and I don't think I've buggered anything up this time :))

Attachments

• Bunkered.jpg
    Bunkered.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 24

Simon

Flying Squad
28ten said:
Thats coming on now,  :thumbs: what can you tell me about the mink in the other photo?  ;)

Thanks Cynric :thumbs:

The mink is a moderately cunningly modified 10mm scale kit from Barrett Engineering, by narrowing the body width you end up with a pretty accurate rendition of the first "six inches longer" batch of Iron minks.

The model is actually complete bar weathering :eek: