Simon's workbench

Simon

Flying Squad
Slight change of tack, anticipating track laying outside, I last night "refurbished" one of the turnouts for the main junction, replacing a couple of lost chairs, refixing some loose ones and attaching a new "web" to hold everything together ahead of being fixed down. All of the soldered joints are good after so many years outside.

IMG_1026.jpgIMG_1027.jpg

Simon

Flying Squad
On a bit of a roll, not too much mind, I have brought in from the garden the "grand daddy" point, which I fitted the tie bar to on the 9th May 2010 as shown here.

Tiebar1.jpg

And here it is best part of twelve years later, all spent outside and having carried very many train movements.

IMG_1036.jpg

The same drill, new web to be made to keep all timbers in place, a few chairs to be re-solvented to their timbers and I need to drill and solder the crossing V to the wing rails for strength and electrical guaranteed electrical continuity, which I didn't do on this very first point and which did give rise to a bent wire bodge..

The UV has "attacked" the S&C chairs, but that said they are all sound and glue back nicely. They look nicely weathered in fact!

I'm not quite sure what I think about the passage of time.....

Hopefully I will work on this tonight.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I'm not quite sure what I think about the passage of time.....

Hopefully I will work on this tonight.
Now you have sorted the turnouts out you can get on with developing your concept of time and its passing. Sounds like a good nocturnal activity.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Sorry, but I have a little nit picking to do, the prototype switches have two stretchers, the 2nd one goes one crib towards the V from the drive stretcher.