Simon's workbench

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
iploffy said:
By the way whats a cusp please?,this is all tooo technical

Can I go to the back of the class now
Blimey even I knew what the cusp is....  :vista: Flip me it's getting crowded back here.... ::)

Simon

Flying Squad
Well I'm currently fitting the running gear together and need to share something with you :headbang:

Notwithstanding Professor Dale's sage observations about etching and without wishing to detract from the excellence of Slaters and the very fine people who own it and work there, one thing that REALLY hacks me off is the way that the bearings and journals of the wagon wheels that they supply (in G1 at least) don't reliably work together. A function of variations in tolerances of machining I think and it really irritates me. It isn't a problem every time but on this wagon for example, one wheelset is fine and the other isn't. (with the same bearings being tried in succession on the axle ends)

Hence I am farting about with wet and dry paper and will eventually get it to all work but at the expense of a really good engineered fit.

I think the journal sizes in G1 are bloody silly*. The 2mm axle ends on Daver Hammersleys wheels are much more appropriate and I am pretty certain that elementary geometry would show you get less  friction and rolling resistance on a smaller diameter.

I do wish Slaters would sort this out :mad:

*Given that we are not carrying ten ton payloads and really don't need to be worried about bearing wear ::)

S

Simon Dunkley

Simon said:
one thing that REALLY hacks me off is the way that the bearings and journals of the wagon wheels that they supply (in G1 at least) don't reliably work together. A function of variations in tolerances of machining I think and it really irritates me. It isn't a problem every time but on this wagon for example, one wheelset is fine and the other isn't. (with the same bearings being tried in succession on the axle ends)
I have had sets of wheels where I get a lovely running fit on one end of the axle, yet the other end won't even go into a bearing!

Hence I am farting about with wet and dry paper and will eventually get it to all work but at the expense of a really good engineered fit.
You have a lathe, do you not?
3/16" collet in the collet chuck, use an axle end which fits to set your tool, and then skim any axles which are not right.
I think the journal sizes in G1 are bloody silly. The 2mm axle ends on Daver Hammersleys wheels are much more appropriate and I am pretty certain that elementary geometry would show you get less  friction and rolling resistance on a smaller diameter.
Yes.
Also, if the ends were 2mm (and accurate!) you could substitute ball races for the solid bearings.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
It always amazes me the rubbish was as modellers are expected to take you buy something and you expect it to work first time every time what an endorsement no 2 axles are the same not good enough really is it

marsa69

Western Thunderer
no 2 axles are the same

It happens in real life mate. The recent fiasco with the MRA4 Nimrods for the RAF was even more hilarious when you realize that when BAe were rebuilding the original airframes they mass produced 18 or so pairs of new wings. The first pair fitted a treat to the first aircraft through the production line for its rebuild. The second aircraft went through and 'oh horlicks' was heard up and down the line. The reason for said exclamation? The wings didn't fit  :eek: They then tried on the next aircraft and same again, they still didn't fit. After much head scratching someone noticed the problem. When originally built each aircraft had its wings individually constructed to the airframe in hand so no two sets of wings were identical. There were discrepancies of up to 2" with some wings  :)) So if an engineering giants like De Havilland and BAe can screw it up what hope for mere model makers?

regards,

Mark

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Mark don't we live in the 21st century now with CNC lathes that turn out mass produced items one after another, not a one off built to order. quality control is severely lacking in this case.

Simon

Flying Squad
Simon Dunkley said:
You have a lathe, do you not?
3/16" collet in the collet chuck, use an axle end which fits to set your tool, and then skim any axles which are not right.

Ooh I love it when you talk dirty ;D

Well yes, but at the moment all I've made is a bit of swarf and the clutch sometimes appears to be slipping which has put me off even more. I need someone who knows what they are doing to give me some tuiton, I do know some good people but at the moment everthing else is getting in the way.

So currently its a bit like entrusting the Apollo mission to a chimpanzee - ooh ooh ah ah ooh..... :))

That reminds me, where are the PG tips....

28ten said:
I have yet to find any that are an accurate 2mm  :headbang:

Is that across the "Roxey" wheels and if so do all the bearings supplied nonetheless fit?

Having asked that I guess you didn't get the bearings as you are intending to ball race the whole job.

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Having fiddled with the wheels, including cutting the ends off the axles with my piercing saw as there was "negative endfloat" I next mounted the axlebox/wheel assemblies into the W irons. They now run nice and freely despite all my earlier mutterings.

I find that a reasonable ride height is obtained by cutting the supplied springs in half and then very slightly extending the resulting two halves with pliers. With a bit of weight its buffers will then line up with finished stock. I don't know how you'd get it to sit at the right height by following the instructions at this point :eek:

Next is the roof, I think in this scale a bit more texture is required so have stuck another patch of old shirt across the moulded roof. This time I stuck it with copydex (phew, what a whiff) and then superglued the "tucked under edges" while holding the fabric taut.

Here is the result so far out on the line this morning.

Shirtroof.jpg

Despite all my grumbles, it does make up into a really good looking model - who'd be a kit manufacturer eh?

Simon

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon.
Exellent work there mate :bowdown: :bowdown:. G1 certainly has the WOW factor :thumbs:
Cant wait for some HYDRAULICS to appear on your railway ;)

Rob  :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor
Simon said:
Is that across the "Roxey" wheels and if so do all the bearings supplied nonetheless fit?

Having asked that I guess you didn't get the bearings as you are intending to ball race the whole job.

Simon
They are not 2mm  :headbang: the thing with ballraces is that they need to be a push fit onto the axle to work properly.
I do wonder why slaters persist with this MR stuff as it is pretty limited appeal in a minority scale  :scratch: if they 'blew up' their LNER brake van it would have a wider market, and why not do a 4F instead?

Simon

Flying Squad
Another positive flowing from preparation for the AGM display was that I got on with the second point for the garden so that I could display the benefits of finer standards.

Last night I got it off the board and finished off all the remaining rail fixings. All I now need to do is fabricate and fit the tiebar, solder strengthening piece(s) between crossing nose and wing rails and attach electrical feed wires - not really finished then:rolleyes:

AC10.jpg

Mind you, I can now take it out into the garden and see what it will look like in place:)

I got out the templot print for the next turnout, a "normal" LH C10, that Simon Dunkley very kindly printed off for me a few months ago.

I was shocked to see how long it is, it will use 41 crossing timbers as opposed to 43 for the curved C10, so not much shorter at all. It will look very nice but I think I ought to drop down to a "sharper" spec for the turnouts leading in to the yard and on the sidings.

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
My bricks are spalled and my projects are stalled:))

Very nearly finished conversion of MR van to S&D variety, shirt applied to moulded roof. 122 pattern to right.

Stalled.jpg

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Very Nice Simon, have you considered selling shirts in your shop for modelling purposes ! however more seriously have you thought about removing some of the shirt to expose the wood beneath?
Cheers
Steve
P.S. I do like the Gloucester unit lodged upon the small open wagon, Is this going off to the Gloucester Wagon & Carriage works ?