Simon's workbench

Simon

Flying Squad
Inspired by the sunshine and getting the U-Pol acid etch primer out for the tin hut, (and nearly a complete year since last touching it) I today picked up the Manning Wardle project again.

Here it is mounted in the greenhouse for spraying:

Awardle1.jpg

Two coats later - can you see the bent lamp iron? I wish I had:headbang:

Awardle2.jpg

Here's my high tech support system for spraying upside down in action:

Awardle3.jpg

And the finished result, with which I am quite pleased. Apart from the broken off lamp iron, which will have to be re-attached with superglue. I have masked the safety valve cover and "back curve" of the firebox with copydex as I don't have any maskol, hope it works....

Awardle4.jpg

I am planning to spray it Vauxhall Reed Green to match the Ruston, I just hope the nozzle on that can isn't banjaxed.

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Lovely work!! :thumbs:

Is this a 1/32 piece?

Thank you very much Adam.

A lot of the credit has to go to John Dale who designed the kit, which is indeed 1/32 scale and a pleasure to build up.

Got to go to the dentist this morning, might try the second coat if it warms up later and I can get some superglue in town.

Then there's the chassis to get running...

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Lamp iron superglued on and locomotive body sprayed with Vauxhall Reed Green. It is a bit orange peel/oversprayish on the tank top, but I think a couple of closer passes from the aerosol from a different angle will cure this. It certainly looks "different"......

Agreen1.jpg

In another shock development I have got the chassis on its wheels and the gearbox on the "fixed" axle, I have cut the frames to make this removeable and now need to devise a method for securing.

Hopefully there is enough paint left in the can to do the tank top, chassis and wheel faces.

The chassis rolls sweetly and even goes through the point thanks to John Dale's cunning spacers included on the loco kit etch. The wheels were turned down by Simon D and I have a slight problem of movement of wheels on their centres, but manageable I think. The wheels and flanges look better for his work.

Agreen2.jpg

Side rods next.

Oh, I forgot to solder the footsteps to the body so these will be glued on too:rolleyes:

I don't know why I didn't get on with this last year......

Simon

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Looks good Simon, nice to see some progress :)

Your choice of corporate colour will look good with a black smokebox etc, any lining to go on?

Simon

Flying Squad
I do hope so, it's almost mandatory for small well kept engines. I'd imagine that the 7mm scale lining would give a suitably delicate appearance in 1:32.

Aaaaaagh - you fiends....

I was thinking the same thing myself, but lining stuff out is another bit of territory I've never really explored.

Perhaps a a simple white line, but where to put it? Where to buy it? Bowpens? Bob Moore's pen?

Just when I thought I might have been finished too......

Simon

Off to shop, hopefully a nice sunny day will have achieved good spraying conditions in the greenhouse at around 6.30pm:)

John D

Western Thunderer
[QUOTE I don't think I've included any "one step forwards two steps backwards" features this time [/QUOTE]

At last you've put something together as it should be....... :bowdown::D:D

Simon

Flying Squad
As of late last night the side rods are assembled. This took me just over three hours and looking at the picture I think a bit more cleaning up wouldn't go amiss.

rods 002.jpg

I'm not very good at BAs, but I think I tapped and bolted the joint one size over what John says, (I've only got one small tap) but I managed it and I think there is enough metal left for their function. I soldered over the bolt end with detailing solder to enable the joint to be made quickly and neatly.

Very nearly at the test running stage, today a boiler breakdown, excessive rain and other family stuff have impeding any further progress just now.

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
IT WORKS!

I am so pleased! I know that modellers up and down the land regularly get complicated steam loco models to run smoothly, but in truth this is only the second coupled wheelbase chassis that I have ever successfully completed:eek: The first (4mm Jinty on Perseverance chassis back in 1987) I had rather put down to beginners luck.

First issue was the side rod hitting a brake hanger, but cutting and fitting six spacers to go behind the coupling rod bosses cured this, which revealed that...

one of the wheels was slightly "off" as mentioned earlier in the thread, but a final determined "tweak" has yielded a completely smoothly running chassis:thumbs:

I have a very slight issue with the gear mount whereby the worm isn't exactly centred on the axle gear, which I think I will sort out, even though it means some extra dis-assembly and a bit of jiggery pokery with spacers.

I still can't quite believe it:)

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Thanks!

Well I've sorted out the gearbox, which involved taking a wheel off its axle, put it all back together and it still works properly:thumbs:

I think it may be worth running a bit of superglue around the wheel centre backs to inhibit any movement in future, but have to say that this slight fiddle is massively compensated for by the hugely improved looking wheels that Simon D achieved:)

I have bent out the guard irons this afternoon and found a piece of 4mm scale sleeper strip pcb that I intend to use for setting up wiper contacts at the top of the wheels, which I might attempt in a minute if I can motivate myself.

Simon

S

Simon Dunkley

I think it may be worth running a bit of superglue around the wheel centre backs to inhibit any movement in future, but have to say that this slight fiddle is massively compensated for by the hugely improved looking wheels that Simon D achieved:)
Thanks for the kind words, Simon. I think, though, that the movement of the wheel centres may be due to the way that I machined them, but superglue is an ideal solution - just make sure that you have the quartering correct before you apply it!

I had forgotten about those wheels until I saw the picture of them. It does go to show, though, how important the proper profile is for good looks!

John D

Western Thunderer
The great pity about the wheels is that whatever profile you put on them the spokes in the centre are far too thick, 'tis a pity that Slaters couldn't recess the back of the wheel to make them thinner, their 1:32 wagon wheels also suffer in this respect :(

Neil

Western Thunderer
Top drawer stuff Simon. I do like how you'll worry recalcitrant bits until they're right.