Sketchup

28ten

Guv'nor
One of the great strengths of Sketchup is the ability to grab and import google earth data. This example shows a very quick sketch I did in the last hour

Attachments

• grab.jpg
    grab.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 17
  • grab.jpg
    grab.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 15

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Cynric :thumbs:
As you already know im crap with anything computer or to do with computers.
So basically this is a question that is probably laughable :-[
What programme or software would i need to design a scale of Penzance ?. Err maybe that doesnt make sense, well what i want to do is type in the space and overlay penzance station building/trackwork and basically see what is achieveable in the space i would have. Also being able to alter things around on screen until im happy before i actually start building then find out i dont have the space /it doesnt fit etc.
Sorry if this is a "STUPID" question but im pretty stupid when it comes to these things :-[

Rob :wave:

Western Thunderer
lancer1027 said:
Hi Cynric :thumbs:
As you already know im crap with anything computer or to do with computers.
So basically this is a question that is probably laughable :-[
What programme or software would i need to design a scale of Penzance ?. Err maybe that doesnt make sense, well what i want to do is type in the space and overlay penzance station building/trackwork and basically see what is achieveable in the space i would have. Also being able to alter things around on screen until im happy before i actually start building then find out i dont have the space /it doesnt fit etc.
Sorry if this is a "STUPID" question but im pretty stupid when it comes to these things :-[

HaHaHa :))

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Yes thats it :thumbs:. Thanks Cynric. I will try and download the program and have a play.

Steve; your a funny lad ::)

Western Thunderer
Rob... HeHe. Been trying all day to upload the PMVY progress pics without success  :headbang:

28Ten... Looks pretty impressive.

Steve :vista:

28ten

Guv'nor
lancer1027 said:
Yes thats it :thumbs:. Thanks Cynric. I will try and download the program and have a play.

Steve; your a funny lad ::)

Let me know when you d/l it and I will do it again and send you the file. Have you looked at street view around the station?

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Cynric; i cant seem to get started with sketchup. How do i get the google earth image to  sketchup ?.  :headbang:
You see i told you i was stupid  :vista:
Do i start with sket or goo earth.
:headbang:

28ten

Guv'nor
Ill do you a little video and upload it to youtube later, its much easier than taking screen shots etc

28ten

Guv'nor
Rob, i have done a quick screen cast here
I uploaded an HD version so you can see what is going on its on a Mac but the principles are the same. any questions just should

Western Thunderer
Hi 28Ten,

Just viewed your Youtube of Sketchup. very impressive  :thumbs:. I think, Even Rob can follow that & get it right !!  :thumbs:

Steve  :bowdown:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Thanks Cynric :thumbs: i shall now have a play. That has made it alot more easier to understand , thanks again mate :bowdown:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Cynric , ive managed to get to the point of grabing the image but all i get on sketchup is a black area not the google earth image :headbang: I cant seem to get it to change . Help please :thumbs:

28ten

Guv'nor
Im not sure exactly why that would be, but check your styles as shown in this shot

Attachments

• grab.jpg
    grab.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 14

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have been shown a virtual model of an intended 7mm club layout and the model has been created in Sketchup....  quite an impressive result.

Not being an user of Sketchup I am interested to learn if Sketchup has a facility to create a library of useful bits so that those components can be incorporated into more than one model.  For example:- if an user creates a "standard" signal box for the "There-and-Back" railway company, can that signal box be made available to other memebrs of WT?  Maybe someone might want to get going with the blue paint.

thank you, Graham

28ten

Guv'nor
Yes you can, you can even make standard parts (components) such as doors and windows and reuse them.
If i were modelling a whole layout I would make individual buildings on seperate files then insert them into a master. The one thing to be aware of is the lack of dxf import/export in the free version (although you can export to an svg file) which is a pain if you want to import Templot trackwork, although the dev version of Templot will export to an image file that you can then insert as a layer in sketchup

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
Yes you can...  ...make standard parts...  ...and reuse them.

If i were modelling a whole layout I would make individual buildings on seperate files then insert them into a master.

Thank you.... I have had a shifty at the Sketchup Help file for something that would enable creating / saving components.  I guess that the Sketchup Help is like the standard Microsoft equivalent - to find what you want to know you need to know how the information has been indexed.  So, please give us a clue; what commands are utilised in re-using components?

thank you, Graham

28ten

Guv'nor
Draw whatever you want (you can use nested components and groups depending on the size of the final component) select the objects (triple left click or use the selection tool, the right clicl and it is half way down the context menu, give it a name and description, set the axis if nescessary, and it should appear in the outliner window.
If you have not used this sort of application before it takes a little getting used to