Slaters 1/32nd 6 Wheel Milk Tankers

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Hi all, having taken my Class 22 to Nidge for the final weathering my thoughts have turned to building a suitable "train" for her to pull so a while back i purchased four Slaters Milk Tanker kits.
One thing about them is that they actually build into a model of a LMS Diagram but for the period i am going for some twenty years after the formation of British Railways i figure that they would be all over the country plus on a more practical note no one to my knowledge does a GWR one.
(feel free to move to area 51 Mods)
Opening the box i soon realised that it's a very complex kit of a very complex prototype and having got four of them it appears that i have hours of fun ahead.
This first picture shows the basic chassis assembled with the U channel formed with the supplied microstrip, all four have reached this stage.
photo-21.jpg

The best policy seems to be to push ahead with one then once happy it's right play catch up with the other three.
This next picture shows the buffers and couplings fitted to one chassis, still got to play catch up with the others,
photo-20.jpg

So far so good (i think) i must remember to take pictures in good daylight, particularly when it gets more complex. I understand this kit is available in 7mm as well but not having built one i am unsure if this is just bigger or if there are construction differences.

As an aside one of my quirks is that i tend to have music on when modelling, am i the only one?
D6322 was largely built to the sound of Judas Priest but these tankers, or what passes as my brain, seem to prefer Donna Summer, or am i just plain weird? :D, cheers to all, Rob

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Seems a shame the couplings are three-link. Screw links would look much nicer. ;)
Very true Heather and i must admit i keep thinking about changing them over but i have found three links easier to use out in the garden, choices, choices :(, time will tell, regards, Rob

hrmspaul

Western Thunderer
One thing about them is that they actually build into a model of a LMS Diagram but for the period i am going for some twenty years after the formation of British Railways i figure that they would be all over the country plus on a more practical note no one to my knowledge does a GWR one.
Rob

The WR had many of the LMS milk tanks by the 1970s - I don't when this started, but they even had the M altered to W, as they were coaching stock. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsmilk

Paul

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
understand this kit is available in 7mm as well but not having built one i am unsure if this is just bigger or if there are construction differences.

As an aside one of my quirks is that i tend to have music on when modelling, am i the only one?
D6322 was largely built to the sound of Judas Priest but these tankers, or what passes as my brain, seem to prefer Donna Summer, or am i just plain weird? :D, cheers to all, Rob

So far it looks very similar to my 7mm ones.........& no you are not alone, I think I was mainly listening to Rammstien when building mine:eek::))

Phill :)

taliesin

Western Thunderer
The other three chassis have now caught up and have reached the same stage,
photo-20.jpg

The top chassis shows the view from the top and the view from underneath below. Next stage is the axleguards which look straightforward enough but i need to consider the painting later so i am going to have a bit of a play with one set of parts and juggle things around before moving on, i might be gone sometime, cheers Rob

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

Like Phil said so far they are very similar to the 7mm variety, regarding the painting/spraying I left mine until the last minute before I permanently fixed the tanks in place. And then after just a bit of subtle weathering around the sole bars and springs.

Regards,

Martyn.

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Hi Martyn, my thoughts are that i will paint them later, but i am thinking of positioning the axleguards with clips, soldering the bar on that runs along the bottom, then spraying a thin coat of etch primer on to them before permanently fixing them into position, cheers Rob

Simon

Flying Squad
They look great Rob:thumbs:

One thing to watch maybe is the strength of the spring in that central "box", I fitted a stronger one when I built mine so that the couplings didn't get extended so easily.

Simon

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the tip Simon, i will see how it goes. This next picture should hopefully illustrate what i meant in reply to Martyn, my theory is that i can now remove the complete axle guard assembly from the sole bars and spay with etch primer,
photo-22.JPG

If i am barking up the wrong tree i guess i will find out how good Slaters are at supplying spare etches :(,
cheers to all, Rob

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph,

Well you learn something new every day, I did not know you even had that choice.

Cheers,

Martyn.

D816Foxhound

Western Thunderer
Are the tanks the same three piece + two ends in the 1/32 kits?........not the most brilliant idea IMO

Phill :)

Phill,

The Slaters 1/32nd Milk Tank kits do have a 3 piece barrel with 2 end pieces. I too don't like this
set up and found it difficult to hide the joins no matter how much filler was used.

Roger

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Phill,

The Slaters 1/32nd Milk Tank kits do have a 3 piece barrel with 2 end pieces. I too don't like this
set up and found it difficult to hide the joins no matter how much filler was used.

Roger

Yes me too.....If I did some more It would be easier to replace the tank barrel altogether I think;):)

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Must admit i am hoping to find a plastic pipe of the same diameter to form the tank.
Yesterday saw me entertained by gaudily coloured freelance tank engines pulling trains populated with Early Learning Centre penguin's, in other words a 16mm Association Garden Railway Show.
Today i was able to press on a bit and hopefully the following two pictures show what i have been trying to achieve,
photo-23.JPG photo-24.JPG

The idea is that at this stage i can remove the axle guard assemblies and coat them with etch primer before final assembly making the final painting somewhat easier, assuming it all goes together ok i can then get the next three chassis up to this stage, cheers Rob

taliesin

Western Thunderer
It would appear that the divine Miss Summer has been smiling sweetly down upon me from heaven, (see first posting) the idea of soldering the tie bar to the axle guards and priming before assembly appears to be a good un as these two views show,
photo-24.JPG

photo-23.JPG

Although it makes the build slower at this stage hopefully painting it all will be somewhat easier. At this stage i now have to play catch up with the other three chassis but i have been building up one of the tanks whilst waiting for paint and glue to dry, pictures will come once i am happy with it, cheers Rob