Solid face cad package has anyone else tried it?

Discussion in 'CAD Corner' started by Marc Dobson, 12 June 2021.

1. Marc Dobson

Marc Dobson Western Thunderer

Has anyone else used it?

Having lost use of AutoCAD2016 when my machine was rebuilt. I was recommended Solidface, which is a 2D and 3D package. It's taking some effort to unlearn 22year of AutoCAD and get used to the new package.

So far I have done 9 2D tutorials and drawn the side of a brick factory wall. Turning it into a 3D model is my next goal.

Marc

2. Brian McKenzie

Brian McKenzie Western Thunderer

Did you have to provide your credit card number first to get a free trial download?
    There are online reviews stating that attempts to "unsubscribe" from it before the 30 day trial period was up were ignored - and a charge put through.

Some of the Solidface online pages are blank, so I would be very wary about investing time or funds with this software - especially when there are other reliable alternatives.

Brian McK.

Edit: Further to the above, check out complaints made to "Better Business Bureau" at:
    https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/austin/pr...ace-technology-inc-0825-1000190717/complaints

Last edited: 12 June 2021
  3. Marc Dobson

Thanks for the tip off. It's been a struggle using it. I did realise that I had signed up for a subscription.
    Marc

4. Marc Dobson

Now cancelled before the trial period so hopefully no surprises

5. Brian McKenzie

Brian McKenzie Western Thunderer

simond likes this.
  6. Marc Dobson

I checked the credit card last night nothing has been taken, yet. But I will be keeping an eye on it. I'm trying out Fusion 360 now. A lot better but not great for 2D but I have got my hands on a old XP laptop to run AutoCAD 2002 which will cover some of the design work.

Marc

7. Mike Hughes

Mike Hughes Member

When my AutoCAD packed up a while back found Nanocad which is free and very similar commands to AutoCAD

Michael

bambuko and Marc Dobson like this.
  8. J_F_S

J_F_S Active Member

When I lost my use of AutoCad I moved over to an IntelliCad-based programme. There are several, but I went for ProgeCad. As far as 2D and 3D CAD is concerned it "is" AutoCad (becuase it unashamedly copies the functionality) and uses DWG and DXF natively. All of my old AutoCad DWG files work fine including layers, hatches and coordinate systems, Block definitions etc. and it can import and export any format of DXF. The only thing it does not have is Parametrics - but then not many of the "popular" CAD packages do AFAIK - unless someone can tell me differently.
    It is not however free - but it is less then a tenth the price of AutoCad at around £200 and that for me represented good value.

And MUCH better than relearning 20 years of ecperience!

Details:-
    Pricing for ProgeCAD Pro 2021 SLM from AxonWare UK. Special Offers | progeCAD21. Where to buy cheap/low cost ProgeCAD Pro 2021 SLM in England Scotland.

Best Wishes,
    Howard

Marc Dobson likes this.
  9. Marc Dobson

I have bit the bullet so to speak and payed for a years subscription to fusion 360. Now I have got my head round it it's better for the 3D design stuff than AutoCAD. I probably should have moved across years ago.
    In the the last week I have drawn out a new body for my LYR 3 plank, and new one piece body for my GNoSR cattle van and a LBSCR dead buffered single bolster. The last one took me about 10 hours work and no need of an orthographic drawing.

Marc

10. michl080

michl080 Western Thunderer

I am not sure if I mentioned it before:

The EAA membership (Experimental Aircraft Association) includes a Solidworks student license. I am not really interested in experimental aircraft and I am certainly no longer a student, but the 30USD per year seems like a good price for a fully functional SW license.

Michael

Len Cattley, richard carr and simond like this.
  11. richard carr

richard carr Western Thunderer

Michael

Thanks for posting that about the EAA, it's now $40 a year but I am now a member.

As it happens Oshkosh isn't too far from Chicago and if this pandemic ever comes to an end I'm sure I will be going back there as often as I used to.

Richard

Len Cattley and michl080 like this.
  12. JimG

JimG Western Thunderer

There's another free version of a heavy end 3D CAD around - Solid Edge Community :-

Hobbyists and Makers | CAD Software | Solid Edge

I downloaded a month or two ago and I've had a look at it and found some tutorials on YouTube but I haven't really had a chance to get under its skin so far. But it has few restrictions for the hobbyist - the main one seems to be that its files can't be read by the main Solid Edge application.

Jim.