Prototype Some of my photos

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I support Dan in his assessment, I feel that the location is between Reading West and Southcote Junction.

[please disregard the rest of this post, Mick is correct in his assessment (below)]

What has been causing some confusion to me is Dan's comment that the train originated north of Reading. I suggest that this is not so, the train is running on the Up line towards Reading - to my mind the key is the shadows of the trees. The line is roughly NNE - SSW at this point and so the shadows suggest a late morning train.

There is a website for the railways of this part of Reading and this page shows the bridge which, I think, can be seen in the photo above. The Coley Branch photo show the Bath Road bridge and the curvature of the line in this area. If Brian's photo is of an Up train between Bath Road and Tilehurst Road bridges then the distant signal gives me some problem - the position of the signal is correct for the Up Distant of Oxford Road Junction... and that ought to be a distant over a home if I read the signalling diagram correctly.

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I hesitate to disagree, but, that cutting appears much shallower and narrower, this one is quite wide, besides, both Tilehurst and Bath Road bridges have three arches, one over the tracks, the others over the embankment, this one appears to have only one larger one and given the size of it is in a cutting that looks twice the depth of the cutting. Having said that, there appears a faint indication that there's a second and third arch but I cannot be sure. The track curvature also looks greater in the photo and if it's going to be either of the bridges then it'll be Tilehurst Road which is on the curve and given the sunlight makes this train heading South into the sunlight.

Use Bing maps, select birds eye view which gives an oblique view taken from an aircraft, this is quite detailed and I use it alot to look for photo locations, in the top right is a icon where it can rotate the image around the four pole axis.

untitled.JPG

Tilehurst Road bridge.

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I hesitate to disagree...
Please do, you are correct.

I was puzzled by the angle of the shadows given the NNE-SSW lie of the track... Mick's photo above shows, conveniently, that the line can be in shadow (maybe the service in question is an evening train in the summer months). Now the signal makes sense... being the Down Distant for Southcote Junction box, see this signalling diagram.

AJC

Western Thunderer
And Adam - please crash my thread with some pictures of the Southampton Bus.

Brian

Eventually, here is the requested thread crash. As it turns out, however, the picture I took is of the other Southampton open top Guy Arab, FTR 511. Anyhow, it's none the worse for all that, so here you go, a snap from last summer on Bedford Place, Southampton.

Guy_FTR_511.gif

Adam

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian,

Your reward for posting such great Hydraulic images is that thanks to Martin Street I have identified the trains the following locomotives were hauling.

D1002 Western Explorer at Swindon is on 1A78 is the 16.45 Weston-Padd

D802 Formidable at Swindon is on 1C90 16.35 Padd-Plymouth via Bristol.

Cheers
Mr TV
Worcester Road engine shed foreman.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian

I notice a few of your excellent pictures were taken at Southall. My apologies if I've asked you this before, but by chance, did you ever venture a little further westwards to Slough and take any pictures there?

As well as being the junction for Windsor, it had a small loco shed, complete with coal stage & turntable, plus extensive goods facilities and exchange sidings with the industrial estate. Despite all that, it seems that many photographer's were not interested in the area, as photos seem very thin on the ground, compared with other places (damn you Betjeman!).

Regards

Dan

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Dan.

No, I never took any photos at Slough. My earliest trips to Southall were on the bus from Harrow to Hayes, then a trip, usually behind a 61xx or very occasionally in a GWR railcar, to Southall. A bit later I used to drive to Southall, until the end of steam, which is when I started taking pictures there. It also coincided with the purchase of my first decent camera, a Kodak Retinette 1B.

Brian

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
OK, thanks Brian. My quest for pictures of Slough will continue, but in the meantime, please carry on posting whatever you have, as regardless of location, they're an excellent source of reference. Perhaps it's time you did a book? :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I'm continuing to scan and post process my photos and here's the latest. This is one of mine so my copyright.

65099.  Darlington.  3 October 1964.  FINAL.  Photo by Brian Dale.  1000 dpi.jpg

This photo is of J21 No 65099 at Darlington on 3rd October 1964. I photographed 65033 on the same date and in the same yard. I suspect 65099 was a donor loco for 65033, withdrawn in April 1962 and the J21 eventually preserved at Beamish. I believe it was moved to the North Norfolk Railway for restoration and thence to Shildon in the last year or two. I'm unsure of it's current status. 65099 was withdrawn at the end of October 1961 and was initially a candidate for preservation but considered unfit to be moved - in fact it was not finally cut up until February 1966.

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
....and here's another.

65460.  Stratford.  Oct 1960.  Photo by Brian Dale.  1000 dpi.jpg

J15 0-6-0 No 65460 at Stratford in October 1960. This loco had another couple of years work ahead as it was not withdrawn until the end of September 1962. It went to Cashmores of Great Bridge for scrapping.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
This is the latest. My copyright again.

68011.  Darlington.  3 Oct 1964.  FINAL.  Photo by Brian Dale 1000dpi.jpg

This is 68011 at Darlington Works on 3rd October 1964. The shed plate is for Darlington, and I suspect it was in use at the time as the works shunter.

Brian

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
This is the latest. My copyright again.

View attachment 52182

This is 68011 at Darlington Works on 3rd October 1964. The shed plate is for Darlington, and I suspect it was in use at the time as the works shunter.

Brian

Hi Brian,

By coincidence Chris has just finished a painting today of a sister engine - 8009 at Barrow Hill round house. It's based on a photo by it's current owner Mike Thompson who took it when in LNER guise at Barrow Hill.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Just out of interest on the J15 shot, is that a kinda half tender cab in place? Looks too solid to be a tarp over the rain sheet rail...

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I've seen a few with a full(ish) tender cab, not until now seen one with just a cab sheet as it were..

J15 is on the list of locos to build for Bishops Stortford..

JB.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Here's a photo which is probably the best I've seen for a J15 tender cab. Definitely not my copyright - for research purposes only.

65405.  Location and date unknown.jpg

I also have quite a few showing a tender sheet, apparently with no full tender cab. Some seem to have had a bar across the top of the tender and I suspect this actually was for a tarpaulin. I can send you a collection of photos showing this and "weatherboard" locos via a PM if you like - just let me know. However, the detail of these is not great but will help, perhaps, to identify those locos which were so fitted.

They are not my copyright and can only be used for your own research purposes.

Brian