Soundfile for 10000/10001

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

any ideas as to who provides a good soundfile for a 10000/10001. A friend has a JLTRT model with a very poor soundfile in a Loksound V3.5 and I have suggested that he gets it re-blown - quickly!

reagrds

Mike

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike

I think it's been discussed before on here, and the consensus was that the Class 50 would be the nearest.

I installed sound for the the LMS Twins earlier this year & used Paul Chetters Class 50 project, on Zimo MX645's, with Zimo LS50X15X14 speakers.
It actually sounded great (refraining from saying "awesome"), and the "customer" is really happy
I know you can't get the full effect on YouTube, but see here, about 3 mins in:

Not sure if you can get a V3.5 re-blown with Class 50 sounds - Legomanbiffo may be able to help.

Cheers

Tim

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
S'funny, I thought we ended up debating whether 37 or 31 was the way to go. :confused:

I have a short recording of the twins and the most obvious thing is that they 'chug' and the turbo is pretty much inaudible. So I'm convinced a 40 or 50 (or 56!) is not the way to go.

I think the 50 recoding is used by either SWD or Howes for their '10000' profile.

When I've got a few free moments I'll have a look and see if I can find the previous thread.

Steph

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I have a recording of 10000/1 (and 10201 or 2 or 3 - can't remember which now) and the closest I got to it was a 37 with a Stanier hooter. That's the profile installed on my twins by Howes, and I'm very happy with it.

Brian

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
In this thread Overseer alludes to the South Australian Railways 900 class which were fitted with English Electric 16SVT engines and EE electrical gear. And of a similar vintage to the LMS twins.

It could be worth contacting Australian DCC suppliers to see if a sound profile is available for downloading.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

thanks for the reply's and suggestions, I'll pass the thread on to my friend and let him make his own mind up.

regards

Mike

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I seem to remember a discussion on here previously, Dave. If memory serves me (and not very well nowadays) there are quite a few recordings of the correct engine and EE electricals, but isn't it the turbos which make for the definitive class sound? I think that's why the Class 40 is less than satisfactory. Of course, the South Australian 900 Class may sound very close to the twins, but as both those locos have gone and there are very few sound recordings I reckon the answer has to be "best guess" - and Rule 1 applies for sure on this one.:)

Brian