Southern Region Inspection Saloon DS1

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

nothing like getting back into the swing of things - the hard way...............I saw this little beauty in 1960 just as I was leaving school and always fancied a model of it and Southwark Bridge Models have produced this kit. I was reminded of it while looking through a book about the Kent Coast electrification scheme of 1959 when I came across a picture of it being pulled by D5011 - one of the (eventual) Class 24s loaned to the Southern Region as their own 33s were delayed in delivery.

So here is the contents of the kit - you need to source wheels and a roof!

Attachments

• IMG_2360.JPG
    IMG_2360.JPG
    324.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2362.JPG
    IMG_2362.JPG
    345 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2363.JPG
    IMG_2363.JPG
    377.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2364.JPG
    IMG_2364.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2367.JPG
    IMG_2367.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2358.JPG
    IMG_2358.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 13

westernfan

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike well you dont see many of those around , it would look the part with a M7 kettle propelling it as well as diesel due to the protoypes life span  . i was contemplating building my saloon from a clestory roof donor coach.

dont know if you have come across the web site departmentals .com the link is on my workshop thread  :thumbs:

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Mike

Tasty looking kit.

Planing multiple layers of plastic card seems like hard work. Have you thought of contacting Peter Cowling - he does a range of quite thick vac-formed rooves, and might have something that fits the bill.

......but you've probably done it now anyway!

Regards

Richard

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
westernfan said:
Hi Mike well you dont see many of those around , it would look the part with a M7 kettle propelling it as well as diesel due to the protoypes life span  . i was contemplating building my saloon from a clestory roof donor coach.

dont know if you have come across the web site departmentals .com the link is on my workshop thread  :thumbs:

Hi Westernfan,

I have photos of it with an Ivatt 2-6-2t 41310 and one of the straight bunkered H Class 0-4-4t 31266, both in connection with the Kent Coast electrification, but no others of it anywhere else on the Region.

Yes, I have that site 'bookmarked' very useful it is too. There is also a 'Departmental' group on Flickr.

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Dikitriki said:
Hi Mike

Tasty looking kit.

Planing multiple layers of plastic card seems like hard work. Have you thought of contacting Peter Cowling - he does a range of quite thick vac-formed rooves, and might have something that fits the bill.

......but you've probably done it now anyway!

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

No - I'm still planing away on the one side. It depends if I can clamp it to the workbench to do the other side as to whether I ditch the plastic and go for the wood. I had a good look at Peter Cowlings vac-formed roofing at the weekend, it looked nice but there was nothing there that was similar. Once the shaping is complete, I then have to glue on a rectangular piece to provide a 1.5mm 'ledge' all round - which was not modelled on the sample on the Southwark Bridge stand.

There is a lovely coloured photo by R C Riley in Michael Welch's book - Southern Coaches in colour, which will be very helpful to me.

cheers

Mike

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Mike,

I made some roofs for an LSWR EMU (www.eastsidepilot.wordpress.com/on shed) from MDF, I know not everybody likes this stuff but the principal is the same. Being a Carpenter and Joiner, time served, I too planed my roofs, and if you don't mind a bit of advice  ;D ;) using a plane that is longer than the one your using will be easier and the roof will come out nice and straight. I used a foreplane which is 18" long. I realise not everybody will have access to these type of tools but thought it may help mate. :thumbs:
I screwed a block to the underside and clamped it in the vice, which means you can get at both sides and the top surfaces. It will work just aswell with the plastic your using.

I used Southwark Bridge kits for the conversion to EMU and I thought they went together very well, even though I cut them about :))

ATB Col.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I shall be following this with some interest I've got one of these to build in its earlier (pre 1950) guise.  At least you've picked the version for which there are plenty of published photos.  In  the condition I'm doing it there's only one that's widely known, the livery being the Southern's departmental dark green.

I've realised that (on the Southern at least) the inspection carriages were rarely used completly on their own; often running with brake carriages borrowed from the 'loose' pool.  Hence the construction of my now-infamous Continental.

bogusman said:
How would it look behind a BB  :thumbs:

Pretty good  ;D - but maybe better behind the Royal Train T9...  ;)
There you are - an excuse for another Southern loco in S7!  :))

Steph

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
eastsidepilot said:
Mike,

I screwed a block to the underside and clamped it in the vice, which means you can get at both sides and the top surfaces. It will work just aswell with the plastic your using.
ATB Col.

Hi Col.

many thanks for the tip - I'll give it a go today.

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Steph Dale said:
I shall be following this with some interest I've got one of these to build in its earlier (pre 1950) guise.  At least you've picked the version for which there are plenty of published photos.  In  the condition I'm doing it there's only one that's widely known, the livery being the Southern's departmental dark green.

I've realised that (on the Southern at least) the inspection carriages were rarely used completly on their own; often running with brake carriages borrowed from the 'loose' pool.  Hence the construction of my now-infamous Continental.

Pretty good  ;D - but maybe better behind the Royal Train T9...  ;)
There you are - an excuse for another Southern loco in S7!  :))

Steph

Hi Steph,

as you say, there are pictures of DS1 in the era that I am modelling, in fact, I have not seen any of it pre 1958!

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
I took Col's advice and used a smoothing plane to bring the laminations roughly to profile and then enjoyed myself filing the sides and then the ends to the profile supplied in the kit and then gave it a coating of primer to see if there were any undulations. When it dried I discovered a 'ridge' down one side where two laminations met and had another go with a fine file, primed and it was not much better. So I decided to have a go on the tulip wood - planed it to width and reduced the overall thickness down from the 'meat' that I had had left on for the Hawksworths, where I formed a rebate for the roof to fit between the sides. Then again with the various files, spent a happy couple of hours whittling away and listening to some classical music, then primed the result.

Attachments

• IMG_2396.JPG
    IMG_2396.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2425.JPG
    IMG_2425.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2422.JPG
    IMG_2422.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2423.JPG
    IMG_2423.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2424.JPG
    IMG_2424.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 18

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Mike,
I too had to add a lip around the roof on the EMU to form a channel which is basically a rain gutter, I used strip styrene of appropriate sizes fixed with mek-pac which bonded nicely to the mdf I'd used, it should bond to the timber you have used. :thumbs:

Col.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Col & Rob,

As I said, I'll be thinking about various options while I finish the underframe and the body - I may even cast a resin roof to include the lip.

The brass is 18thou with a lot of it half that thickness in overlays and as can be seen from the fret, there are an awful lot of realy small items as well, so hopefully it will all fit together ok.

cheers

Mike

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Mike,

I just noticed that you posted about using Roxey Mansell wheels on this vehicle in Rob's thread on the MOK 8F: Can they been seen clearly in your photo?  I've got a couple of pics here of it post-1950 and they both seem to show plain discs.

By this time Mansell wheels were becoming relatively uncommon; most of the ex-LSWR stock in service by that time seemed to also have plain wheels; even if running with Fox bogies.

It's a cracking kit though, isn't it?  I'm looking forward to doing mine. 

I was also wondering if you were going to give it a companion vehicle?  And if so, what? I'm aware that running it as on the Kent Coast electrification it wouldn't have a companion vehicle and suitable motive power might be an 'H' (charming) or even a Std 4 2-6-4t (impressive), but earlier than that it seems to have run with a variety of passenger brakes.

Lovely to see you back working in brass too....! :thumbs:

Steph

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph,

I seem to have wrongly assumed that it would still have been running on the Maunsell wheels - I have glue the inserts in, but can easily remove them - pity though as they are nice white metal castings.

As for motive power, I too have seen the 'H' picture, and one with an Ivatt 2-6-2t but the one that sparked it off for me was the one of D5011 pulling it :eek: :eek: :eek: the problem with modelling that series of 'loaned' locos is that they were fitted with plain Athermos bearings and they had a button like cover plate which I'm sure NQLTRT do not do in their kit :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: so I might stretch things a little and go for a green D65xx as they had started to be delivered during the final parts of the electrification - plus they were all sheded at Hither Green 73C which was only down the road from where we living at the time. But there again, the H is tempting.

Two I did earlier:

Attachments

• 31326~08 29.05.05.JPG
    31326~08 29.05.05.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 31543~1 21.10.05.JPG
    31543~1 21.10.05.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 13

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
The H is such a lovely loco, it's probably the one class I'm most disappointed about not being able to model for the layout.  Those shots are of the Wagon and Carriage Works/Meteor kit?  They seem to make up well...

I've got your email address so I'll have a check through; I think I've got a photo or two here that you might find of interest.

Steph

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Steph Dale said:
The H is such a lovely loco, it's probably the one class I'm most disappointed about not being able to model for the layout.  Those shots are of the Wagon and Carriage Works/Meteor kit?  They seem to make up well...

I've got your email address so I'll have a check through; I think I've got a photo or two here that you might find of interest.

Steph

Hi Steph,

sorry about the delay in responding, but modelling took a 'back seat' over the week-end

Attachments

• IMG_2510.JPG
    IMG_2510.JPG
    323.4 KB · Views: 11

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
:)) :)) That's the same reason my modelling has taken a back seat for erm, the past four years  :headbang: :)) Wouldn't change it for the world, at least you get to give yours back Mike  :)) :)). I do like the standard 4 2-6-0, only ever built the acorn kit, which was awful :headbang:

ATB Mick