Static Grass - how to get a seamless join? (photo added)

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
We are using a Static Grass Applicator from Greenscene... and fibres from Greenscene... as demonstrated by Gordon Gravett at Warley... for the cutting sides to the south of Scrufts Junction station. Each "application (or patch)" of applied fibres looks good, just that where one application meets a previous application there is an obvious "join" - looks like a strip lynchet from days of old.

So how do you ensure that adjacent areas of fibres run into each other without a visible boundary?

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I just 'fade' one application into the other i.e. spread some glue onto the already laid grass (as well as the new area) and thinly apply the 'new' mix.

Or mix more fibres than you need to keep some for future applications. Odd patches are okay as the sub soil could be thin i.e. over rock or deeper over a filled trench. I would be inclined to look at nature or colour photographs of the area you're modelling to see the variations.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Don't actually apply the grass up to the edge of the applied glue, leave at least an inch of ungrassed glue. That way you can blend the new glue into the old glue and apply the static fibres over a continuous bed of glue and avoid dodgy junctions. Carefully placed pieces of paper can help you mask an area too.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
When we were using one on West Mersea, I tried diluting the glue with water, and then spraying a fine mist over the area that was going to be grassed.

This had the added bonus of allowing the grass to stick to certain strands of fibre from the basket liner which looked just like weeds! Very effective..

JB.

markjj

Western Thunderer
When I saw Maggie doing it at St Albans a while ago I think she used hairspray to to glue a blend layer over the existing join line.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Here is a photo which shows a couple of ridges running bottom left to top right - surprisingly more obvious to the naked eye than in a photo.

grass 1.jpg