Prototype Steam & Diesels at Barrow Hill on the 6th Feb.2014

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Whilst on a Photo Charter at Barrow Hill for the two visiting A4 + Bittern & Blue Peter, I photographed lots of other items of interest, so I thought a may as well share them here!

Diesels up first + one Electric.

Class37.JPG

Diesel1.JPG

Electric1.JPG

Just in case anyone was wondering were Tornado was, well it's feeling poorly at BH.

Tornado1.JPG

Tornado2.JPG

I was told it took a week and a half to remove the cab, and there is over 1km of wiring to remove!
This was from one of the guys who is working on it.

Tornado3.JPG

Taken at twilight 18:15pm.

There is now a 1/4 mile branch line available at Barrow Hill and this nice little Loco provided the running up and down.

Vulcan1.JPG

Vulcan2.JPG

In the yard2.JPG

Next up is a couple of static Guard's Vans & Henry.

GuardsVans1.JPG

Henry1.JPG

Now for the reason for the visit.

In the yard1.JPG

In the yard5.JPG

In the yard3.JPG

The brick works that was in the background has now been demolished, the two big chimneys have gone, no longer sticking out of the tops of locos.

Here's a nice unobstructed view of Butler Henderson.

Roundhouse1.JPG

I reached my allowed limit, so the couple that are remaining I'll put in another post.

Dave

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Superb Dave,:thumbs:

I am off to Shildon next week to see the A4's but I don't expect I will get as good shots as these.

Thanks Rob

We started at 11am and by 3pm it was raining and it was still raining when I got home at 9pm.
The following day there also was a photo shoot and they got sunshine most of the day!!!

Dave

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Lovely pictures, Dave. Really enjoyed them.

Does anyone know the nature of the problem with "Tornado"? It's always sad to see a loco having what I guess is some fairly serious treatment if the cab's had to come off.

I didn't know that "Butler Henderson" was at BH. Much as it's lovely to see locos out of York I would have thought that Loughborough was the obvious home for it, assuming that York don't want it for the main collection. Even better if there was permission to rebuild and run it, not that Loughborough Shed is short of work at the moment.

Brian

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Good to see the pictures. I think you will find that the "nice little Loco" Vulcan is one of the Vulcan design copied by the L&YR to become their pugs, so historically quite important. It looks different due to the tank and cab shapes but apart from the cosmetics the pugs were identical.